IVF in Houston

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by jaya81, Dec 3, 2012.

1. anjanaa211

anjanaa211 New IL'ite

Hello Jaya:

Thanks for posting all the details. man...thats lot of info to take in, kudos to you!!
    we are planning to IVF ICSI, have been looking for a good doctor to get it done. we live in florida, its practically not feasible for us to do it in Houston but we are OK to take that pain if she has good reviews.

Sorry for my ignorance, Is pre-genetic diagnosis important, havent thought about that before but was just browsing internet after your post. I feel its a good thing to do but not sure how important it is...

I'm waiting for IUI# 2 results which will be out in couple of days (not promising)and we want to do IVF next.The hospital I'm going now said they charge $16k - $20k for IVF ICSI including medicines. we want to see whats out there and how are the others charging and also mainly checking their reviews.
    I'm in the process of collecting all info and analyse both reviews and finances. As you rightly said last thing we want is to compromise on quality.

When are you planning to get it done?

2. jaya81

jaya81 New IL'ite

Anjanaa,

Actually, i do not thing PGD is required for anyone..Since I have recurrent miscarriages , which remains "unexplained", RE thinks that PGD can prevent any risks of chromosomal abnormality. ( in my case, they are not sure if it is chromosomal abnormality or an autoimmune disorder...all the tests came negative..its not actually a good thing, cos, all it means is that we have a problem..but, the docs do not know how to go abt the treatment).

I did an IUI sometime back..which at HFI cost more than $3000( we were asked to do an iui not cos we cud not get pregnant by ourselves, but cos they wanted a "controlled environment") ... anyways, it was the same story..i got pregnant..only to lose it in 6 weeks..
    So, we ve a few options now..1) get pregnant by ourselves...and have an anti-coagulant like heparin ( assuming, its an auto immune disorder)..the problem is ..i ve been ttc for a few mths..but, even for normal couples, it can take a few mths..not that getting pregnant has been a good thing for me before..
    2) get pregnant with iui..more controlled env..better quality eggs.. again, with heparin
    3) get pregnant with ivf...even better chances of getting pregnant..again with heparin
    4) get pregnant with ivf and pgd- so they can eliminate risks of chromosomal abnormality...also have heparin

Problem with all this is ( like almost all infertility treatments), there is a huge chance of failure.. i mean, every time, i miscarry, my chances reduces! this is not me being pessimistic, but its just stating facts..
    So, I have to consider finances... u know @ hfi- if we take the 4rth option (which, by far is the least risky)..it will cost me $20,000 , which is more than Rs 10 L. Now, even if i manage that, i ve to consider that it will fail.. i knw women who ve had success and failure in it..
    thats why finance is so imp.. cos, if it fails, i still cannot stop trying, rgt? but, if i lose Rs 10L in one go..it will take a lot more time for us to go for another.

so, thats y i m confused..i need to decide b/w US and Ind.. i m looking at options in US itself, if its feasible....mostly more for the peace and quiet here..unlike back home, where i'l ve to deal with clamoring relatives (worst part is some o them might b well-wishers..)

Sunshine lady recommends Dr.Manubai Nagamani.. only problem ..she s in clear lake.. here, i m pretty much dependent on hubby.. u knw? 1 car..no public transport.. this ivf thing wud require freq visits..which means a lot of time away from his office..but, if i finally decide on her, i'l ve to find a way..

In other forums, i ve seen recommendations for Dr.James Choung ( i ve seen ppl criticize him too)...so, i dont know..

With both these ppl...the cost is okay..

the other option is to go to india..like shift for some time..or even permanently...Dr.Malpani has got amazing reviews (in mumbai)..again problem is i m based out of Bangalore..native is kerala..so, i ve to look for options in one o these places..
    Anjanna.. i dont know abt ur finances...if u dont ve any issue... then, u have at least one less problem.. I m not sure which doc u see..and how comfortable u r with them.. i ve been HFI...and is a patient of Dr.Griffith.. He is really really good... at least, thats what i ve felt.. to feel this way, after i ve lost twice under him..and after losing money- i think it spks well abt him, rgt? :-D.. its cos i knw he did everything possible from their side..unfortunately for me..i cannot choose HFI! cos they r expensive..

Sorry for the long post.. i m also hoping some one who has unexplained recurrent miscarriage wud see this and help me out!!

All the best dear.. i hope ur IUI # 2 itself works.. and u wont ve any more need o these forums :)

God bless,

Jaya

3. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

Jaya

i dont have much idea abt US costs, but 10 L in one go is a lot of money...

since you are ok with Blore, why dont you look at some of the options mentioned in the Blore IVF thread...

you can club your iVF with your vacation trip to Ind, with you reaching a month or 2 earlier for all initial preps.

DH can join closer to date of ER

4. anjanaa211

anjanaa211 New IL'ite

Hello Jaya:

First of all dont be sorry at all for your long posts.we all here to share our experiences which helps us to know more about infertility.
    good to know all the research you have done on this, i think your 4th option looks more promising.but i understand these are very expensive.

regarding our finances,right now our IUI's are covered by insurance but IVF i is not. So we thought to give IUI a try and then move to IVF if it doesnt work.
    for IVF I can go ahead get it done once but what if it fails is the question.It will get expensive here.
    To get it done in India, I have to do lot of research and we both should be taking time off/away from work for a while which seems like not feasible for us at this time.
    definetly i would like to get my IVF done in US itself but still researching on docs preferabally in florida as I live here.
    I was tempted towards Dr.Nagamani seeing her experience and her being lady and Indian.
    still waiting on my IUI#2 results. I will know in couple of days.
    keep in touch
    will keep you posted my updates!

5. wannababy

wannababy Bronze IL'ite

Hello Anjanna

Can you please let us know what insurance you have that covers IUI too.. We've completed 2 IUIs right now but both failed and it costed around $4000.00 for us. We really are not in a position to afford the 3rd one right now. I'd appreciate if you could let us know if it is ind. or grp insurance. And What kind of policy you have?

6. jaya81

jaya81 New IL'ite

SSm014,

I am considering India..reading the Blore forum.. i ve not yet got confidence, u knw? like..say, for dr.malpani in mumbai, people generally have only good things to say...when we spent so much time/money. with the possibility of failure- at least we shud b treated well..rgt? otherwise, we'l have stress over that too..

i read abt gunasheela ivf center in bgl..rgt now...reading more abt it..:) yes, 10L is a lot o moeny for us..esp, since we are not planning to be in US for the long term..i will ve to decide soon...

thanks for ur support dear..

Jaya

7. jaya81

jaya81 New IL'ite

Anjanna- wish you the best.. thats all i can say! keep us updated..

wannababy..i researched a lot about insurance..or any other coverage possible...to my knowledge this is how it works..15 states in US has mandated that insurance companies should necessarily provide infertility coverage ..these are the states

State Mandated Insurance for Fertility Treatment - Fertility LifeLines™

But, here is the catch! The decision to take the infertility coverage or not is given to the employer.. In simpler words..even if the insurance company provides infertility coverage, the employer can choose to not take tat ( to save cost)

Unfortunately for me, i am in the same boat as you...my husbands employer provides coverage only for pre-treatment- the diagnosis and stuff..

you can email your employer and see if they have any health plan which covers infertiliyy coverage..if they do- you are in luck..else, you'l ve to pay out-of-pocket..

also.. in other fertility forums, i ve seen woman say they ve actually switched jobs to companies which actually cover infertility treatment :)

hope this helps,

Jaya

8. jaya81

jaya81 New IL'ite

hey..is everything okay with you? do keep me posted.. wishing u the best!

Jaya

9. anjanaa211

anjanaa211 New IL'ite

hello Jaya:

Got bfn :(, I'm taking a break this month and then will have to do decide after visiting RE.

what about you? when r u planning to do your next ivf/iui?

10. jaya81

jaya81 New IL'ite

hey anjanna,

i m soo sorry... :-(

i ve decided to meet Dr.Chaung..its easier for me to go there.. I thought i'l meet with him and make my own inferences... if i dont like him, then, i'l go to Dr.Nagamani.. i have an appointment this week..

for me..there are two possibilities - i may have some kind of clotting disorder (though, all my tests on thrombophilia came negative- my ANA was positive ..with anti-dna DS).. i m not sure if i make any sense.. point is there is this huge controversy of whether anti coagulants( like heparin) will help recurrent preg losses..but, my gut is it might help me..
    the next is chromosomal abnormalities...in which case, i need a PGD..

i will wait for the second opinion...and see what the doc actually recommends.. all tests should be done by this mth end..

thanks!