TTC- PCOS AND High Prolactin Levels

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by lll, Oct 18, 2011.

1. lll

lll Junior IL'ite

Hello IL,

I have been a very silent reader of the Indusladies for the past 3 yrs.. I Have been on TTC for the past 2 months... I have irregular periods and I am tracking my ovulation through BBT and Ovulation tests which has been often very confusing.. I have mild PCOS and not under any medication.. Recently I realised my prolactin levels are 40.9.. I have got my appointment scheduled with the endocrinologist for november 17th.. Meanwhile, my physician assigned me to get done my MRI scan.. I am so scared of it.. I was thinking of going to the endocrinologist first and then get done the MRI if necessary... Do u think I have to do this or get my MRI done first?? MY levels aren't so high that I need an MRI.. What do you ladies suggest me?? I am getting so stressed out and alone.. Should I also take the fertility assistance once my prolactin is checked or try conceiving naturally..??

2. lochu

lochu Gold IL'ite

Hi

MY sis was in ttc for more than 6 years and all tests were normal .after that they found prolactin levels are high and she has some tablets for it for 2 months and she got pregnant the third month .So just relax and stress your self .it will happen soon

3. lll

lll Junior IL'ite

Thats great.. I was a little more worried because have mild PCOS too and along with this high prolactin.. Can you find out from ur sis-in-law if she had an MRI for this?? What were her levels?? what was the medication she took?

4. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi lll,
    Welcome here! :)
    Why MRI? MRI on which part of the body? Prolactin needs only blood test & you can eat tablets & soon it will come under control. I have gone to that high limit & tablets brought them to very low levels as well! I never had MRI for that. Check out the reasons for MRI. If necessary go with second opinion too! PCOS doesn't need MRI as well unless your doc has found something very abnormal in your body. Check it out with another doc dear!
    Take care. Baby dust to you.

5. lll

lll Junior IL'ite

Hi Vasumathy,

Thank you soo much.. Your opinion was very helpful.. I asked my physician to give me a blood test again to re-check my levels but she ordered MRI test and asked me to go for follow up with the endocrinologist... I read some where that if your levels are over 200 something only then they will ask you to go for MRI.. Me and my husband decided that let us go and meet the endocrinologist first then if she wants an MRI lets think over.. I couldn't discuss this with anyone so posted in this forum.. Your reply was very comforting thank you soo much.. Will it be tough to conceive without tablets??

6. lll

lll Junior IL'ite

Hi Vasumathy... It is MRI for the brain..

7. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi III,
    Hope you met the endocrinologist. They will be best to guide on Prolactin levels. I don't think MRI on brain is necessary. Recheck with endocrinologist.
    Without tablets for prolatin, it may be difficult to conceive naturally. You will need some assistance since hormones are not balanced. But miracles may happen out of anything! Just hang in there. Be positive. All the best.
    Baby dust to you.

8. Swatir23

Swatir23 Gold IL'ite

Hi III,
    I too have high prolactin (i mean i had) ,also i have PCOS,high TSH.....:drowning
    but everything is under control now touch wood with regular medicines:bowdown.

when i checked my prolactin it was 65....then they started one tab weekly for me (tab cabergolin).....and it was normal within 1 month. my doctor suggested to take this medicine till i conceive and if i conceive till they see heart beat i have to take this medicine.:hide:....dont stress urself....it can come under control within 1 month .:thumbsup

9. lll

lll Junior IL'ite

Hi Vasumathy,

No I still didn't meet the endocrinologist.. Will be meeting this 17th.. I am just hoping it should be just medicines... Thanx for your support.

10. lll

lll Junior IL'ite

Hi Swati,

That's nice to hear.. Will let u all know once I meet the Dr. and what she suggests.. If it is just medicines there is no problem. Does the medicine make periods regular also??