How do you track ovulation?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by curiousgal, Aug 10, 2011.

1. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

I have a 32 day cycle.
    With my first kid, I saw that I used to ovulate around day 17 or day 18 of my cycle.
    Also, when I tried to conceive the first time, I was in the US and I used to use ovulation kits, so it was kind of easy to know when ovulation is going to happen.

Now I'm in India. I still have a 32 day cycle, but I do not want to make assumptions about when I'm going to ovulate.

How should I track my ovulation?

2. kenny

kenny Bronze IL'ite

3. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

4. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Hi Curiousgal,

I tried using the ovulation thermometer and the diary that came with it. You have to check the temperature daily at the same time and before getting out of bed. I did it for one month, but I feel its not accurate. So I dropped it the same month. I just monitor the mucus. Never used the OPKs.

ilt

5. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

Curiousgal, I find it difficult to get OPKs here in Bangalore and they are also expensive. So, I track my BBT (Basal Body Temperature) and CM (around ovulation time is when you get eggwhite cervical mucus) and they have both served me well in pinpointing my window of ovulation every cycle. I use fertilityfriend to keep a record of my BBT and other changes.

The problem with using just an ovulation calendar is that it will just take the traditional "ovulate on the 14th day" assumption and we all know our bodies really aren't that disciplined! So, use BBT and CM to find out when you ovulate each month. Hope that helps.

Carol

6. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You can try BBTs. Can track Cervical mucus along the cycle...
    Few experience cramps around ovulation!
    All these would help....
    If nothing helps, have a blind assumption & try!
    All the best!

7. lotsofhope

lotsofhope Senior IL'ite

My RE suggested to try every other day starting day 10 until day 20, that way you wouldnt miss the right time. Also, you can try to use the 'Ovulation Microscope'. It is available in amazon for around $10 and it pretty accurate. All you have to do is take a little saliva from under the tongue as soon as you wake up(before brushing, drinking water or eating anything) and put it on the slide and let it dry for 15 minutes. Put the slide under the light and if you see full fern patterns, then that is the most fertile period. This microscope is actually the size of a lip stick, looks like a lipstick(no one needs to know what it is) and easy to test. I feel comfortable using this as temping is not that accurate when I wake up early, late or wake up in between, if it is too hot or cold outside, too many factors that can affect the temperature. Couple days before ovulation, few ferns(leaf patterns - one or two here and there) are seen. On one day approaching ovulation and day of ovulation, a full fern pattern is seen, the slide is filled with leaf patterns all over. As ovulation completes and days following that, the number of ferns become less and only crystals or dots are seen.
    Ovulation Microscope.jpg
    ovuliteferning.gif
    fertile.gif
    images.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  8. sashacurios

sashacurios Silver IL'ite

the best way is definitely tracking ur cervical mucus along with an other technique like opk or BBT or saliva method... cervical mucus wont lie... nd is reliable...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  9. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Hi CJ1980,

I agree, haven't found OPK in Bangalore. Could you please tell me from where you found the BBT thermometer here? I have asked at many medical stores, and they look at me as if I have come from the moon.

Your response will be highly appreciated. I have posed this question earlier on the forum, but have never got a response. It will be kind of you to reply to my query.

10. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

Hi Tuliplady,

Yup, I'm familiar with the "eh, what?!" responses from all the pharmacists in Bangalore who have no clue what an OPK or BBT thermometer is. I thank God for Cash Pharmacy though! It's in St.Marks road and you can get both OPKs and BBT thermometer there. The OPKs are about Rs.100 each (so I found it a bit expensive to buy 5 kits every month - each kit has only one test in it!) and the BBT thermometer is a glass thermometer (they don't have the digital ones - but you can check coz i bought mine almost a year ago).

I would suggest you call Cash Pharmacy and check the availability before you go. And oh, you need to pay in cash! :) (they have a sign saying CC are accepted but the machine over there rarely works!)

Glad to be of help :)

Carol