IVF - Confused n Shattered

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by vchan, Apr 22, 2011.

1. vchan

vchan New IL'ite

Hi All,

Hubby and I have been planning for a baby for close to a year now. I am 29 and he is 31. I have hypothyroidism and chronic utricaria (allergy) for more than a year now. I am taking treatments for both and the docs say that this has nothing to do with my pregnancy. Recently i got a HSG xray done and hubby had his sperm analysis and following were the shocking results :

Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) - My left fallopian tube is blocked

Semen Analysis / ART Prep results :
    Sperm Count : Low (13.398 M/ml) Normal is : >= 20 M/ml
    % Motile : Low (14 % ) Normal is : >= 50%
    Normal Morphology (Kruger) : 1.0 Normal is >14%

The doctor suggested to do IVF directly. We are shattered and in pain. We were completely not prepared that this would happen. He says anything else would just delay the process further. Already my age factor is a worry. We are so confused on IVF. I have read forums on the sucsess of IVF and hence the live birth rate. I am so worried. Initially IVF should click, then live birth and then defect free birth. Not sure why only few have to undergo such tortures in life ;-( Any piece of advise would be greatly helpful.

V

2. Tanujam30

Tanujam30 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I have no experience/expertise in this matter, but presented with this scenario I would ask following questions :

Why is the fallopian tube blocked? can it be unblocked? My friend recently had a fallopian tube removed due to ectopic pregnancy & her doctors told her that her fertility is not severly compromised due to this ( I do not know how far this is true. My guess would be that one tube closed would reduce chances by 50%). Is there anything that can be done to increase sperm count/motility? I understand the type of underwear men wear is a factor.

The reason I ask these questions is 29/31 are not really a big age. And if I were in your position I would make sure I have exhausted options before I embark on IVF, which I believe is a very intensive process. I appologise in advance if in my ignorance I might have asked silly questions, but thats what came to mind reading your post.

Wish you the best. Think Positive.

3. vchan

vchan New IL'ite

Yeah the doc also said that there are 50% chances in my case. He did some blood work to see why the FT are blocked but the results were normal. He says that Sperm Morphology is a Production problem and there is no medicine to cure the same. So go for IVF instead of wasting time trying.

V

4. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Vchan,

My hugs to you. You are not really old to switch to IVF. There are very good number of success stories in IL where our friends conceived with one tube and less sperm count or motility.

Is your right tube patent? If yes you have good chances of conceiving its that you need ovaluate through the right ovary. There is a thread which speaks about home remedies for low sperm count. They are all tried and proven methods. It just takes 3 months for the parameters to improve. Why dont you try that and its just a matter of 3 months. Also did you check with your doctor about IUI? You should try IUI before swithcing to IVF. Some points to improve sperm country/motility

1. Is your Dh overweight? If yes weight loss is definitely required and switch over to healthy life style.
    2. Never allow him to skip the breakfast. It can be simple homemade breakfast.
    3. Soak dried fig in cold milk and give it to him before bed time. You may top it up with mixed nuts like Almonds, Pistas.
    4. One spoon of Honey should be taken before bedtime. Don't mix it with milk as it will increase weight.
    5. For snacking you and your DH can have handful of nuts like sundlower seeds,Brazilnuts,walnuts etc.
    6. Soak Almonds overnight and have it empty stomach next day morning after peeling of the skin
    7. No tight undergarments and add 30 minutes of exercise.
    8. Strictly no smoking or drinking and good sleep in required
    9. Cut down of processed foods, Salt and sugar intake.

Try all the above for 3 months and check the parameters. I am sure you can see an improvement. 29 is definitely not old and you can definitely try naturally or through IUI. My wishes and sticky baby dust to you.

1 person likes this.
  5. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vchan,
    Welcome to Indus Ladies & to this forum. :)
    You can find our forum guidelines here...

I would second Radha. First try at least 3 IUIs before flying to IVF, Try the home remedies too. It may click any time. Even i have tube block, sperm issues, gone ahead with two IVF, still waiting.... The game is yours. Never give up until you succeed. Never loose hope!
    In the meantime, prepare your mind & make financial arrangement for IVF. IVF makes you emotionally & financially drained, so be prepared for it!
    Baby dust to you.

6. vchan

vchan New IL'ite

Thanks Radha and Vasu for those nice words. It really is so soothing. I am going to talk to the doc re: IUI but not sure what his response would be. I think he said conceiving through IVF is more compared to IUI. Moreover we need to financially plan for IVF too. Anybody from NJ please help me with insurance which covers IVF partially or those schemes which offers IVF package like 4 trials or so. Any info would be of great help.

I am going to strictly follow Radha's words. My hubby is not over-weight and has no smoking / drinking habits. and yes, my right tube is patent. Still hoping that some miracle will come our way and make me a conceive. We are still not able to digest the fact that we need to undergo all that. I hear stories that people will have cramps, pain and bleeding during IVF. Can anybody throw any light on that ?

All ILites, please remember us also in your prayers. If the doctor still suggests for IVF, we will be having it in June. Please pray for us.

-Confused Soul

7. lathavim

lathavim New IL'ite

Hi Vchan,

Don't always believe with one semen report. Take another report after one or two month gap. By that time ask your husband to take soaked badam everyday. Also he can take spinach cooked with moong dal & small onions. See if this helps. I have read in some ayurvedic doctor's blog that spinach and small onions improves sperm count.

8. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Vchan, IVF is a big thingy. You need to be finacially and mentally strong before taking it. My prayers to you and I wish you conceive naturally. Follow a healthy life style and you will surely suceed.

9. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vchan,
    Just give it a try. Tell them you need to prepare financially for IVF. Hope the doc will get convinced. All the best. Baby dust to you.

10. SuccessMinded

SuccessMinded Gold IL'ite

Wow... thank you all for giving such wonderful feedback. It helps anyone looking for answers. Thanks Vasu and radha!