Bad smell in Vaginal area

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by snowbird, Dec 21, 2010.

1. snowbird

snowbird New IL'ite

Hi all,

Help me out to understand whats the problem. I experience bad smell in my vaginal area during and after the intercourse. After we participate in the sex, the next day morning I experience the bad smell which gradually goes down after taking shower and disappears totally after 1 or 2 days.

Been to gyn doctor for Pre conception checkup, but missed to inform this. Doc just checked the details I gave and told me that everything looks good. She hasn't recommended any tests for me or my DH, but just prescribed some pre natal tablets.

On a side note, I do experience bad smell during my periods as well. BTW, my periods are regular and a 30 day cycle.

We have beem trying for kids from 2-3 months, not sure if the bad smell is an indication of something.

Please advise.

2. snowbird

snowbird New IL'ite

Someone pls reply

3. incharge

incharge Bronze IL'ite

Visit your gynac. and share your problem.I have experience that just a 5 day course of antibiotics cures it.

4. priyankanath

priyankanath Gold IL'ite

Hi Snowbird,

Bad smell in the vaginal area is not a very good sign. U should immediately visit the gynac dear........bad smell can indicate an infection (God Forbid)! But donot leave it unattended.
    As Incharge said........a 5 day course of antibiotic will help.....but take it under doc's prescription.

Priyanka.

5. ilovemyself

ilovemyself New IL'ite

HI snowbird,

i had this vaginal odour when we intially started IC....but i didint had the bad odour during periods...only we have intercourse this occurs...i consulted the gyn and she said nothing to worry .....she prescribed me CANSOFT .Its kind of gel or tube(i donno exactly wht it is)this have to insert in the vaginal opening 10 or 12 hours before the IC...i kept only once after that i didnt faced this prob in 10 months......

hope it helps...

6. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Hi "snowbird",

As other members indicated, have a consultation with your Gynecologist. She is the best person to say, whether there is anything really wrong in your vagina. She will be the best person to say, after a clinical examination, that the odour there which makes you feel uncomfortable is due to any disease or it is a normal biological odour.

Before that please understand the following biology of human vagina. Human vagina, is a dynamic organ. The surrounding mucosa (the red lining) is rich in glands, which keep secreting a viscous fluid always. This fluid is rich in polysaccharides (a form of carbohydrates), on which some species of bacteria thrive. These bacteria are not necessarily disease producing. Just imagine,.........we all know, our mouth normally contains bacteria and even by best brushing, we can not eradicate these bacteria. These are called friendly bacteria also. The same way, vagina also contains bacteria.

The presence of these friendly bacteria in the vagina helps in one way, that it prevents the vagina being taken over by disease producing dangerous bacteria. The vagina normally has an acidic pH. Hence, the growth and number of these non disease producing bacteria will be under control. However, due to the constant action of these bacteria on the base provided by normal vaginal secretion, an odour will arise. This process is inevitable. In healthy women also some odour will be there in vagina. It is unrealistic to expect that there will be absent odour in vagina.

In lower animals and apes, this odour has tremendous significance in the sexual arousal of the male animals. But, with evolution, in humans, this function was lost. Yet, there are men, who feel erotic / arousal by this odour. There is a belief that individual woman differ from each other in this odour, which is sometimes, named, "signature aroma" of that woman.

In History, the great French Warrior Napolean was said to be a great admirer of his wife Josephine's vaginal odour. There is a famous quote, as being written by Napolean to Josephine, "Coming home to Paris , tomorrow evening. Dont wash". (google for further information)

Beyond this, this Forum Etiquette does not allow me to write sexually explicit details. Hence, you yourself can search in google and find out the reality.

The two points I want to stress about are ...........one, a moderate odour in a woman's vagina can be biologically normal. (whether it is erotic to men or not is a different story).............Two, some women do periodic washing of the inside of the vagina (douching) with soap, to get rid of this otherwise normal odour. This process of douching(washing the inside of vagina) is harmful and not recommended. Because, it kills the normal friendly bacteria, allowing other infections like yeast to take over the inside of vagina.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  7. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Sounds like yeast infection. Nothing to worry about, just check with your Doctor.

8. snowbird

snowbird New IL'ite

Thanks for all your replies. I have an appt scheduled in few days. I will let you know once I consult my gync.

Thanks again!!