What happens to Follicle....

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by achedere, Dec 16, 2010.

1. achedere

achedere Junior IL'ite

I am planning to TTC second time. I have PCOS and my right fallopian tube is removed due to ectopic pregnancy 4 yrs back. I always ovulate on right side more.

We went for IUI in 2009, failed first time. Second time my follicle was on right side too. We decided not to go for IUI thought we will try naturally. I did not expect at all but I got pregnant and had baby girl this Jan.

Actually my left fallopian tube picked my right follicle. I got lucky once.

My question, if fallopian tube does not pick up follicle what happens to it?

Anita

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

if there is no pregnancy then the released egg will dissipate and the ensuing chemical reaction will cause you to have a period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_cycle

After being released from the ovary and into the peritoneal space, the egg is swept into the fallopian tube by the fimbria, which is a fringe of tissue at the end of each fallopian tube. After about a day, an unfertilized egg will disintegrate or dissolve in the fallopian tube.<SUP id=cite_ref-isbn0-07-303120-8_2-6 class=reference>[3]</SUP>
    <SUP></SUP>

3. ashakarthik

ashakarthik Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I have a small doubt here...every month only one egg will be released or
    two??

if it is only one then why two fallopian tubes???

sorry if am wrong somewhere..just a curiosity to know!!

asha

4. sujanags

sujanags Gold IL'ite

Anita,
    I think you would have got a follicle on the left side as well. Because it's highly impossible that right follicle has been picked by left fallopian tube.
    May be there could be a miracle like this sometime, who knows...

Asha,
    Even more than one egg can be released. But that's not happen always. to all women. So, ideally only one egg will be released during a cycle.

On the fallopian tube question, Why do we need to have two ears? two eyes? two kidneys then??? We can survive even with one ear, one eye :)

It is God's blessings to have two fallopian tubes (one to get egg fom right ovary and another to get egg from left ovary). if one tube goes damaged or blocked, atleast we can conceive using the other unblocked good tube...

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  5. ashakarthik

ashakarthik Silver IL'ite

Hi Sujatha,

Now understood why we have two tubes..just for back up..and only one egg is released..thank u soo much for clearing my doubts...:bowdown

asha

6. achedere

achedere Junior IL'ite

Hi Sujatha,

I had one matured follicle on right side when I got pregnant.My husband was a little embarrased to give his sperm in hospital and also I was disappointed to see follicle on right side I said we will try naturally on the day of induction. I had US to confirm that I have ruptured follicle on right side.
    Moreover we were travelling. We were so casual about it!!But I took all medicines for follicle growth etc.

When I came back saw my doctor.She said that "I already told you that right follicle can be picked by left tube".

I got really lucky and my daughter is a miracle baby. Funny though it was our 11th anniversay last week and she is 11 months old!!!

Waiting for this to happen again....

7. Swatir23

Swatir23 Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

i have one question regarding follicle growth.....i read on IL that some ladies have 2 mature folicile in same cycle.....but for me from last 3 cycle I am doing folicile monitoring and i had 1 mature egg only...it was in size between 21 to 24 mm....

my Re never told about second folicile...?

Thanks
    Swati

8. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Suja,
    Its possible for the other tube to pick the follicle. its in medical books! Don't question me where you can find the proof! :)

Anita,
    All left outs will get washed away with the periods including the follicle which doesn't find a sperm!(I hope so!)

Asha,
    Two tubes for two sides of ovaries. In each cycle just one follicle gets released from any one side ovary, other will just wait & watch for its turn. The next month the one which waited will have matured follicle! Though its possible to pick the follicle from one side of ovary by the other side follicle, its a tough job! Generally it won't pick it! only in rare cases it may do! Since Anita has only fallopian tube, that one is all ready to catch follicle from any side! :)

9. priyankanath

priyankanath Gold IL'ite

@ Swati,

Two follicles maturing means you have two follicles which is more than 10mm in size. Any follicle below that size is categorised as MSF (Multiple Small Follicle).
    See our ovaries have many MSF......In a cycle only one or SOMETIMES 2-3 (if u are on some ovulation pills) grow beyond 10mm (so as to qualify to be dominant and which gets noted in your follicle monitoring sheet). Then the docs monitor the growth of these dominant ones and eventually at a particular day one or all gets ruptured!
    I will explain my case.....I had two dominant follicles (one 12 and other 10.5 mm) on Day10. Then on day 12 one was 14mm and other 12 mm. On Day 13 one was 16.5 and other 14.5. And when i went for Day 14 scan the bigger one had ruptured and the other was 16mm. So they did my IUI the next day morning and also asked me to have relations for some more days so that when my other follicle rutured then also there should be sperms to fertilise it (to maximise chances of pregnancy). 3-4 days after IUI i felt a sharp pain in my ab like the one doc said happens when your follicle ruptures and i guess that day my other follicle had ruptured.
    This was also confirmed by my Day2 scan which i tdid this month which showed there is no cyst (a cyst is formed when a dominant follicle grows but doesnt rupture). As i didnt have any cyst means my other follicle had also ruptured few days later.
    That was my story.

It happens that few women after taking ovulation pills grows more than one follicle but it happens with only some. Generally ovulation tabs makes you grow one good follicle which ruptures. There is absolutely nothing to worry if u didnt get more than one.....getting only one is natural(more than one happens in rare cases). And anyways u just require one follicle to ruture, release an egg, meet a sperm and get u pregnant. So chill baby...your body is functioning OK:thumbsup. If your doc didnot tell u about any other follicle means the others are less than 10mm so they are categorised under MSF.

Hope i could solve your query dear. Take Care and relax. Your body is doing absolutely good when it comes to ovulation:thumbsup

Priyu

10. Swatir23

Swatir23 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Priyu,:thankyou2:

for a such detailed explanation.

Thanks
    swati