Injectables and IUI

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by kiran1, Dec 15, 2010.

1. kiran1

kiran1 New IL'ite

I did a search for this topic in the archives, but didn't really find very much to answer my questions.

I am going to start an injectable IUI cycle. Frankly, I'm scared of the injections. Has anyone undergone this who can share their experience? Were the side affects worse than taking clomid? Has anyone had success on an injectable IUI cycle? Thanks for any advice, Ladies.

2. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Dont worry. The injections look more scary than they actually are. It's just a tiny prick on the skin. If you press on the site for a minute after injecting yourself, it helps reduce any discomfort. Or else you can ask DH to inject it for you.

The side effects were less than clomid in terms of mood swings. But I had some ovary pain after the IUI. But nothing major. The major pain for me was to go every day or every other day for the blood work or ultrasounds. But getting my son was worth all the pain and I don't even think about it anymore.

Just follow the tips below to maximize chances of conception following the IUI. These were given to me by a friend who specializes in chinese medicine / ayurveda and I believe that I succeeded against all odds thanks to these tips (and my mom's prayers) ---- I conceived my now 2 year old on my 1st injectibles/iui cycle, even though I had just 1 follicle and my dh had very low sperm counts.

1. Minimize physical activity e.g. housework, walking etc for 2-3 days after IUI. This is to conserve your body's energy so that it can concentrate on conception. Lie horizontal as much as you can. I took 2 days off from work for this purpose, laid on the sofa all day and watched tv :)
    2. No exercise except light walking for at least 1 week after ovulation.
    3. Aim for at least 75 gms of protein a day. Your body needs the protein to help the egg fertilization process and help the egg implant properly into the uterus. In moderation, eat eggs, Soya and chicken products, you can drink milk and whey protein products and eat lots of nuts and seeds such as sunflower, walnuts, almonds etc.
    4. Keep a positive frame of mind and pray to god to help you at this time.
    5. Do breathing exercises or light yoga and imagine the egg being fertilized and implanting properly in your uterus and having a healthy and safe pregnancy.
    6. Drink lots of water, at least 8-10 glasses a day, preferably at room temperature.
    7. After the IUI, keep your stomach covered and protected from wind for at least a week. Your womb needs to stay warm to aid conception.
    8. Start taking a pre-natal and a DHEA supplement. The DHEA is especially important for vegetarians as it contains Omega 3 fatty acids that aid greatly in conception and maintaining a healthy pregnancy. I like the Omega 3 fatty acid supplement from Trader Joes. It's been de-odorized so you don't get the fishy burps afterwards.

Good Luck!!

3. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Pooja,

Just a quick query, how do we use the sun flower seeds? Should we consume it just like taking almonds are can we have it in a different way? Please throw some light.