Follicular Study

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by chaitanya01, Nov 30, 2009.

1. chaitanya01

chaitanya01 Senior IL'ite

Follicular Study...... Pls help :-(

Dear Friends.,

One of best friend was TTC from past 2months., but she has irregular periods and doctor has suggested to take Tab :Siphene 100mg from the D2nd - D6th. and then Tab :Duphaston from Day-16th - Day25th.

and in the mean time doctor has told her to go for a follicular study on the 9th Day when the periods started.
    but she went on 11th day and the follicular study details are as below :

right overy (enlarged) : 1) 43.2*34.7mm
    2) 41.4*34.2mm
    3) 36.5*35.9mm
    4) 25*20.9mm
    Left overy : ----

ET : 7.4mm
    POD : clear

Pls., somebody tell me what is this follicular study and tell me how can i get her boosted (she is completed depressed),
    and could tell me how much should be the measurement.

Please advice me on this issue :-(

2. kinjal

kinjal Bronze IL'ite

Re: Follicular Study...... Pls help :-(

i could not understand this report.
    But follicles grow 1 to 2 mm every day and once it reach 20mm to 22mm it raptures i.e. ovulation occurs.

Did she talk to her doctor? What is his diagnosis?

3. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Chaitu,
    I am getting confusion with those figures. If those measuments are follicles in the right ovary, it seems very big. Mostly one would get follicles with 15 to 24mm.

Siphene is a clomid & it will help to get more egg growth for a cycle. This is the first line of treatment for infertility.

Continuous follicular study(fs) will say the growth rate of the follicles in each day. So ask her to go to fs in the said date. There is no hard fast rule that you will get pregnant once you want to. Your body will need time to prepare one for pregnancy & pregnancy will happen in the right time for her.

Just make her to be positive & eat healthy. Consult her gynec with the fs report. They will guide her on the next course of action.

4. chaitanya01

Tanx Kinjal, Vasu...,

Even i was shock to see this measurements and i got confused.
    i heard that the normal size should be less then 20mm. am i rite.

so why is this much difference and so much growth of the folliculs?

5. Sankna

Sankna Bronze IL'ite

Hi Chaitanya,

In my FS last month I had one 35MM follicle in my right ovary which is really huge and left ovary had a normal 21 MM follicle. This inspite of going through a Ovarian drilling in September this year. My gyn told that it is because of the ovarian stimulation by Letroz( another tablet like Siphene) and it might reduce or go away sometimes.

In your friends case it looks like she is having so many huge follicles which are not fertile - it means that these will not let out eggs . I guess her doctor might suggest for a laproscopic ovarian drilling if these cysts still exist in the next scan .

This is not to scare you , but I wanted to share my view . Please ask her to meet her doctor immediately.

6. chaitanya01

Hi Sankna,

Tanx for your suggestions,
    even you mentioned that you are facing the same problem as my friend as 35MM follicle; have you alos gone for this laproscopic ovarian drilling ?
    or you r on some medication ????

is there any other way, like medication can overcome my friends problem ?????

7. chaitanya01

Hi., can anyone tell me if my friend can go for some ayurvedic medications which can over come this problem ???

Please suggest me :-(

8. Sankna

Sankna Bronze IL'ite

Chaitanya, I tried posting my reply for this for the past 3-4 days. But there was some problem with my browser - everytime it said that my page expired. Well finally its working now :)

Coming to you query - I had my ovarian drilling done thru laproscopy in September and inspite of that one really big cyst and few small ones have formed in just 2 months time .I was actually really pissed off about it. My gyn asked me not to think about it as my left ovary is producing good follicles and also told me that may be the follicle stimulation is causing the formation of these cysts again.

I did not bother to ask her for medication to remove as I just want to carry on in the journey and soon hold my LO without delay. In your friends case there are so many big ones - which is a cause of concern, please ask her to visit her gyn immediately in case she has not seen yet.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  9. chaitanya01

Thanks for your suggestions Sankna,

My friend is already on the medication and frequently visiting her Gynic, but as of now she didnt mentioned anythings so of serious, Doctor wants to wait for some more months to see if any things is going good with her.,

lets pry for my friend that everythings will go fine.....,

10. cathzeta

cathzeta Bronze IL'ite

Follicular study with PCOS

Dear ILs,
    I am diagnosed with PCOS and TTC for 1 year, being married for 2 years. Age: 29. Normal cycle days - 30-35 days.
    But for the past 2 months I have been on induced medication for periods (deviry starting 23rd day).

My allopathy gyny is so busy that she does not give easy appointments. And even if I had, she has already asked me to consult a fertility expert (since my DHs sperm motility is also an issue) and come back to her after I was pregnant. The fertility expert said we could go for a IUI, instead of waste time.
    I have been taking metmul 500 mg once in the morning and once night.
    We decided to wait a little while and then go for such treatments.

Recently I started in some medicinal ghee from Kotakkal Ayurveda centre and the doctor asked me to do a follicular study. And for the past 1 month on methi seeds on empty stomach in the morning (courtesy: this wonderful forum).
    I went for a 4-day follicular study.
    On 12th day of my LMP (this period was because of deviry), I had a dominant follicle on the right ovary measuring 14.7 * 8.8 mm
    Day 14th, the same follicle was 18.2 * 13.6 mm
    Day 15th, it was 21.3 * 20.4 and the scan doctor hinted that it could rupture anytime. There were 2 tiny follicles of 5.7 and 7.2 on my left ovary.
    Today being day 17th, its 30.3 * 28.9 mm..... she said it had not ruptured and hinted that it had become a cyst..... :(((((((((((((. My left ovary follicle still measures 5.8 and 7.2.

I am clueless what went wrong. Also, for the past 1 week, I have been suffering with too much of gastric problem (my physicial said it could have been because of melmut and asked me to stop for a few days).

Does that mean I would not have my periods this time?
    Any1 got knowledge of this follicle size?
    Should I consult another gyny for an interim arrangement?

Thanks a ton for your time,
    Cathzeta