IUI treatment for infertility problem

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by raisin, Jun 29, 2010.

1. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

TTC! Do I need IUI?

I am scared.

I have been trying since 4-5 months now. No success. My husband is on tablets for low motility (10% in 30 million. he is obese too) since last month. 3 months back, my ovulation study showed that I was ovulating from left on the 10th day (26 mm follicle). I have 24-26 day cycle.

I have one USG coming this month too.

Doctor gave me an ovulation inducing medicine last time for what I don't know. This time I decided to take the USG without the medicine. And she said we can do IUI. I don't know why she suggested that without our trying for one complete year.

Many people take tablets for low motility and have babies. I am just worried.

Pls help.

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: TTC! Do I need IUI?

Hi Raisin,
    You should have waited at least till 6 months & then consulted the gynec, in this way you can avoid tension in the initial stages!

In each month you will ovulate in alternate sides in the natural cycle. When you are with medication(with follicle stimulating tablets), you tend to produce mature follicles in both sides of the ovary & you would ovulate in both side. This increases the chance of getting more follicle in each attempt & better probability to succeed compared to the natural cycles. I trust this is why your doc has given the tablets last time.

IUI said to help those who are with low sperm count/low motility.

If you are in no hurry & can wait for few more months with natural attempts, then inform about this to your doc & go ahead with natural cycles for some more months. Once you are ready & prepared yourself for these medicated cycles, then go ahead with IUI. Its you couple to decide & proceed!

Hope things clicks soon to you.
    Baby dust to you.

3. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

Hi Vasumathy,

I am so relieved and happy to see your reply. I can't explain how I tense and depressed I was.

I have been undergoing a lot of stress since last year due to health issues of my dad. I also a laparotomy for a large ovarian cyst (in kochi) a year back. It was a simple cyst yet so large. But my obstetrician told me that there is no problem in conception. I had 2 USG after that. And my operated ovary was also producing follicles.

But my current gyneac doesn't explain much and it leaves me puzzled. After reading your explanation now I feel that I should have taken the tablets this much.

I am 27 and my husband is 31. He is obese and is not working on losing weight. This further adds up to my worry. If his low motility is due to obesity then losing weight should be the first step.

I am not mentally prepared for IUI right now and would like to try naturally for a few more months.

But do you think the tabs for low motility work?
    If it does then why she suggested IUI? I feel that she just assumed that we are desperate for a baby as it has been four years.
    Doesn't he have to do the semen analysis again? My husband did not ask the doc anything .:drowning

4. Vasumathy

Hi Raisin,
    Not all doc explains the procedure & tablets details clearly to patients. Either you can trust the doc & procced or research on the things before going to meet the doc. Either way it will help you to get a result!

If you are not prepared for IUI, inform your doc about this. Get few months of break to try naturally & then if necessary, go back to doc. And 27 is not a bad age as long as your periods are regular. You can wait for few months & then go ahead with treatments.

When did your DH did the semen analysis the last time? Is it too old?

For men, good diet, exercises & those tablets together do wonder. Just tablets won't help in these infertility issues, you need to work parallely. It will take 2 to 3 months to show the effects in the sperm quality because sperm take more than 45 days to grow. You need to wait patiently. Also you can try home remedies for sperm counts. Check the A-Z thread in this forum, you can find it.
    My dh took those tablets for low motility for months & it didn't show significant progress but when he prescribed it to his patient, his wife fall pregnant in two months! Its not in our control!

Relax & have a great time.
    Baby dust to you.

5. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

Thanks a lot dear.

I don't have a sister and now I am so happy and feel that I have sisters on indusladies :).

My husband did Semen Analysis around a month back. The first one got us stumped as there were some errors on our part and it showed no sperms. The next 3 days of wait made us decide that if the next test shows the same result we are going to enjoy life without worry and he told me he would retire from job as early as 31!:hide: Phew!

Okay, let me coax my DH to some regular exercise at least until I conceive.

Tomorrow is my USG. Fingers crossed!

6. Vasumathy

Hi Raisin,
    First all the best to push your dh to do something on weight loss!
    All the best to your scan!
    Baby dust to you.

7. leelal

leelal Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

We know a Gifted friend who treats mostly Male infertility issues like low Sperm Count, low motility through traditional medicine. This treatment has helped a lot of couple to be gifted with babies, sometimes healthy twins within 3 to 6 months timeframe.

In addition, there are traditional methods for ladies problems available in Ayurveda.

I am sharing the phone no of our friend here. Mr.Raju at 09446578577. He is based at Kottayam, Kerala.

Baby Dust to You!!

8. Sankna

Sankna Bronze IL'ite

Raisin, if you are prepared mentally , please request your gynaec to defer this for few months. Unless you & your DH are confident and prepared the process may not yield the desired results.

I share the same struggle with my dh on his weight reduction. Unless they realise it themselves sometimes it gets really difficult to make them understand that they being healthy also is as critical as our being healthy and fit to conceive. To start with , try to indirectly work on his diet reducing the quantity of food little by little without being visible. Try to avoid storing biscuits or oily snacks at home. Rather keep a lot of fruits ( apples mostly) as men tend to snack a lot before dinner time.

All the best for your USG as well as your efforts to push ur DH for exercise , try to share the routine with him , go for walks together so that he doesn't feel pushed and bored.

9. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Sankna. My Dh is the limit. We have a wondeful gym in our community which is free and yet he wants to but a treadmill at home. And since I don't approve of it I am "the cu;prit" behind his obesity.

I have undergone two days of ovulation studies. On 8th day my follicle was 20mm and today, the 9th, it was 23. My doc was on leave today and the assistant called her up and asked me to take fertygen inj. I assumed it was to rupture the follicle and I asked to speak to the doc. I was not sure why they had to rupture it when I my last study showed me ovulating with a 26mm. One doc told me it was natural for a follicle to rupture 18mm which another said it was 22mm. I do not know this follicle business and nobody explains.:spin And last time the doc had suggested IUI with letrozole tabs. So I told my doc that we will try naturally for a few months more. Anyway, I have my USG on monday too.

I hope it ruptures today and something happy clicks.

Thanks a lot ladies. I shall keep you updated.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  10. ndta26chennai

ndta26chennai Gold IL'ite

hi raisin,
    i just want to share my views with you.one of the main problem for infertility is stress and anxiety.so stay cool and calm and dont try to predict or expect anything just let go.because that gives you lots of frustation which in turn causes hormonal imbalances.even this helps in healthy ovulation.technology can find out till ovulation not after that,so noone knows what happens after that.

Read about the ebook by dr.malpani to know in detail.but dont get confused with so much of details too.all i would advice is keep urself relaxed, everything will fall on its right place. iui is the last procedure when all means are tried out and failed for atleast 3yrs,as far as i know and 6 mths is very little period its not even enough to understand each other.its early to start such treatments,but for your husband its ok.find out natural food to boost up the motility rate.

if you approach doctor with a problem,they just start to treat,but fails to guide,or explain about things.if not all, but most of them.

the only mantra is go with nature,healthy lifestyle.proper diet,exercise/yoga/mediatation and above all if you have believe in god,pray for the good.

these tips are for both of you ,not only for child bearig but for a healthy life.i think its too lenthy.....

all the best.

reg
    narmada

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010