1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wearing Bindi With Western Clothes???

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by anika987, Aug 23, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I have seen many ladies wearing bindi with jeans.Nothing wrong.Infact,it also looks
    good on some of the ladies.kind of cute!

however,recently I met my friend's cousin who wore shorts,teeshirt and a bindi. it was quite different looking..bindi with shorts and sleeves teeshirt.

I came to to the conclusion she is probably trying a bit hard. Maybe from a conservative family who wants to looks ultra modern but at the same time do not want to let go of certain constraints. But in reality,she could very well be very modern.Can u identify a person's personality from their dressing?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

2. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Re: Wearing bindi with western clothes..

Sure- Whimsical, conservative, flamboyant, edgy, boring, creative, cohesive- you can tell all these traits from the way one dresses. The catch is the way one thinks can make one look at the same situation differently.

Bindi with shorts may make you think the person is trying too hard but makes me think of the same person as whimsical or fashion forward :). All a matter of perspective.

5 people like this.
  3. Shina

Shina Gold IL'ite

I don't know y we trap ourselves with rules as to no bindi with western clothes etc. and some even go to the extent of judging those who do wear a bindi with pants ( not referring to u but i have seen people doing so) . i think one should dress according to their own liking and be confident about it. Don't have the mentality of following the pack / herd, do what u prefer and be a leader.

yes to an extent you can guess a persons mentality via their dressing.like if one keeps following current fashion rules right down to a T then they may not be strong enough individuals in life and one who is confident enough whilst being judged by others for their individualistic dressing may have a strong sense of self.

1 person likes this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

There is a Western barista at a local Starbucks who wears a small bindi with all her outfits. She looks pretty cool!

geevee68 likes this.
  5. isolated

isolated Silver IL'ite

what is western clothing? :/ America invented shirts, pants, leggings, skirts and dresses? I didn't know!

1 person likes this.
  6. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

There is absolutely nothing wrong in wearing bindi, mangalsutra, toering, bangles along with jeans or western outfits... there is no law or fashion rule against it...

I feel we are insulting our own heritage and traditions by making such stupid rules

I wear kurtis and trousers all the time and it doesnt look odd on me at all !!! I am tall, not so thin/not so fat either and have a round face.

So, with trousers/jeans I wear rounder/simpler/single color bindis and with sarees/salwars, I wear long blingy designer ones !

With trousers I wear a single thick bangle/kada, with salwars/sarees, the more thin colorful bangles the merrier :)

Toerings look good with sandals, while toes get squashed inside smart shoes... thats all!! So I prefer open shoes to closed ones :)

Mangalsutra will look good with everything, from outside it is just a long gold chain :)

For neckpieces/earrings, I add lots of beads/terracotta/meenakari for long kurtis/tops and pearls/stonework/crystals for sarees/salwars

You just have to co-ordinate and wear :)

But more than the clothes people wear, I think you can guess their personalities from the comfortable vibe they give with the clothes they wear!!!

Obviously you picked up some uncomfortable vibes from the friend's cousin otherwise you would not have got the thought that she was trying too hard to look cool, Brinda :)

7. panda2014

panda2014 Silver IL'ite

Each individual have their own preferences and should go by what they feel good and look good in . Its very subjective .
    But I would love to wear bindi only with Indian dresses . Basically am a south Indian and once when I went for a trip to Mumbai , I was wearing tshirt and jean and wore a small round red bindi (We south Indians married or not always put bindi) ...so my co passenger an old lady in her sixties asked are u married???????? I was just a college going student then....She thought if u r married u wear bindi( Heard that and have seen too that only married ladies prefer bindis...even kids don't put bindi in north but in south it is not so)

8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

When you look at Usha Uthup for the first time - you are taken aback - huge lady, huge bindi and the heavy silk saree :) and singing English songs !! Wow !!! Are you for real :)

But when she starts singing, she puts herself out there whole and soul through her music and her attitude !!! and you just fall in love with her honesty and her spirit :)

geevee68, anika987, Lathasv and 4 others like this.
  9. Ankiita

Ankiita New IL'ite

I understand it's an old post however I seriously don't know where you girls live!! I've never EVER seen girls wear bindi on western clothes. My husband constantly tells me to wear one because of tradition, religious etc etc but I feel ackward, Shame & Typical. Most of the Indian girls I know Living in India and Abroad (UK & US, Canada etc) do not even wear a bindi. Not even a Mangalsutra.

I need proof lol! Please. I don't care about English Girls wearing it. I'm talking about Indian Indian Girls . Just feel everyone is like me.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  10. Lathasv

Lathasv IL Hall of Fame

Don't get conclusion / generalize on anything. I wear bindi and mangalsutra with western clothes. What is there to feel shame/awakward or whatever?... Anything is anyone's wish and I'm not against to someone who doesn't wear bindi/mangalsutra...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    Divyakhyathi and anika987 like this.