1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Advise on creams in US

Discussion in 'Face & Skin Care' started by haritha789, Apr 30, 2014.

1. haritha789

haritha789 Junior IL'ite

Hi all

I just wanna share something with you and take advises from all of you. Its a kind of venting out here. I have typical indian colour (not so fair not so dark) and have pimple scars on my cheeks and some dark circles (thanks to my CA qualification and my busy job as team lead). In spite of all these i look good(people say) but my problem is i dont know what creams to use during what ocassions.

I remember the comments on my wedding day when people were telling is it the same girl whom we have seen on engagement day. i dont know what went wrong but i looked so dull on my wedding day. thats not the only case, i look good during normal days but look very dull during any party or any special ocassions. even my husband says me same thing and he even sometimes accuses me for not knowing anything related to makeup. yesterday i went to a function and everybody there asked me about my health condition as i was looking so dull whereas i was looking perfectly normal when they met me a week back.

I generally use Sunscreen lotion followed by compact powder during all seasons and all occasions sometimes i just go with out applying anything. I see some people who look absolutely beautiful and stunning in any functions and i feel like going to them and ask them about what creams they use but i will just dont ask them thinking it will embarrass them. IL is the only place where i can get lots of ideas.

Please suggest me how can i look good(you are getting what i mean right like glowing and bright face) during parties and also suggest me what are the creams generally you people use(sorry for very direct question) for any occasion like party, casual evening out and daily office wear. I know i am too generic but this is what i wanted to know.

When suggesting pls keep in mind that i am in US now and i have normal skin also please suggest me the creams and brands also.

Thanks for reading my very long post

2. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

aww, try luminizer or BB creams for dewy look. Revlon photo ready is a good place to start.

3. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

Hi dear, looking dull means maybe you do not follow a CTM routine properly.
    CTM is cleansing Toning and Moisturizing.
    You need to do it all the 3 steps atleast twice daily.

If your skin is acne prone and oily then choose non comedogenic cosmetics and skin care products.
    I think in US you have wide range of products so you are lucky in that aspect.
    Try neutrogenA brand for cleanser and moisturizer.
    Yes you need moisturizer even if you have oily skin.
    Use a pure rose water of any reputed brand as a toner. Dont skip these 3 steps.

Here are other advices-

1) Don't use sunscreen during night parties/events. It causes white cast in photographs.

2) use a BB cream or tinted moisturizer to even out skin tone and fade acne marks (for parties/functions) follow it up with a compact (choose correct shade) and add a lil blush, eyeliner, mascara and a lip gloss. You're done to glow in party.
    After you get experienced in it you can go for a good foundation and eyeshadow.

3) before few hours of the expected function or even a day before function, use a good face scrub to exfoliate your dead skin and clogged pores.
    Try neutrogena blackhead removing scrub
    Follow it up with a good face pack for glowing skin.

Since you are in US, try to get these facial masks- montagne jeunesse or beauty formulas brand.
    They come in one time use sachets and cost you only a 1-2 $ and give you instant glow.

4) besan+turmeric+milk pack if applied daily will give you glowing skin slowly but naturally.

5) good diet and good sleep is always as usual important and so is the water intake.

2 people like this.
  4. sneha10

sneha10 Senior IL'ite

hiiii
    firstly don't worry... not knowing anything about make up is not a crime... you are very beautiful you don't need make up so you didn't bother....
    everyday i apply a BB cream with sun screen and some mineral powder...
    during any parties i do use a revlon primer followed by revlon foundation and revlon compact...
    use garnier under eye roll it really does wonders...what ever products you buy try to buy everything of the same company so that they go well with each other...
    remember to get everything that is non comedogenic ("do not clog pores" a fancy way of saying it)...
    one more advice try to catch up with youtube about applying make up.... this is where i learnt about make up :)

5. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Few days back I was in same boat and always thinking what other girls do. Some of my friends are really very good on make -up side.

Few changes what I made in addition to weekly scrub and face pack schedule

1. I use BB cream and compact powder for daily make-up.
    2. I was always fond of Kajal (eyeliner) but was never regular. Now I apply Kajal and eyeliner everyday (I am still in learning phase of eye make-up)
    3. Try to change face wash . I use two face washes one I use when I am at home or night (normal one) and other one before going out (I use The Body Shop Vit C ). It's really good to keep my face glowing.
    4. Earlier I was using normal lip balms. Now I use Maybelline Baby lip balm.

These are few small things which helped me to look better than what I was earlier.

6. haritha789

haritha789 Junior IL'ite

Hey thanks for all the suggestions. Sorry to ask you what is BB cream? is it any brand or a cream like sunscreen and moisturizer? Also i was very confused to choose compact powder in US. Unfortunately i dint have time to buy it in India where we have only 3 shades and i was using wheat shade but in US there are so many shades and i dont know how to choose the correct shade. Coming to Neutrogena products, I have bought Neutrogena Acne wash to use as daily facewash but i have observed i am getting more pimples after using this face wash.

Pls let me know where can i get these facial masks?

7. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

BB means beauty or blemish cream (kind of cream, replacement of face moisturizer). It's available in many brands (I use Olay). Regarding Neutrogena, I didn't have good experience and switched many brands in between. Finally I am stuck in 'The Body Shop' for compact powder, face wash, body lotion/moisturizer and body wash.

Regarding shade, most of the shops carry sampler so you can try which one is best for you. Also,

8. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

You need to go to cosmetic stores nearby and check for the correct match for your skintone. There's no other way to know which sgade suits you best unless you try it on your skin.
    Always ask the shop lady to apply tester shade near your jaw line for getting correct match of compact or bb cream or foundation to your original skin tone.

Bb cream is a beauty benifit cream which is like a day cream but tinted. It is ideal for daily use whereas foundations are usually heavy and not easy to maintain for daily use.

Try loreal true match bb cream or maybelline bb cream stick.
    I dont know what shops you get cosmetics in US... but I mnow that sephora and walmart stores have cosmetics. Try there.

Even e.l.f and essence brand cosmetics are cheap and good quality you get for 3-5$ range. Try them untill you get used to makeup and then go for high end brands like MUA or MAC etc.

For facewash, if neutrogena didnt suit you, best would be to use cetaphil cleanser and cetaphil moisturizer.

You can try buy the tea tree set from the body shop. It has tea tree face wash, toner and moisturizer I think. That should work for you.

If your age is > 25yrs, invest in a good night cream which also adds glow to skin on regular use.
    Go for the body shop vit E night cream.

9. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

From what you have written I suspect your skin colour has changed. Your current foundation and powder probably doesnt match your skin colour. Maybe it is one shade lighter or darker and that is why you look dull.

In us go to Macy's. Pick a macy's in a trendy upmarket place, go during weekday daytime when they are not so busy to their makeup section. You can go to one of the makeup counters there and request a makeover. They will show all the shades, they have so many, and use their products on you and show you which shade, how to apply etc. If you take your present foundation and show it they will tell what is the problem, is it too light or too dark -- actually this depends on the girl helping you. Some are very helpful, some are meh. Clinique is good US brand and so is MAC.

10. heenakam

heenakam New IL'ite

Body shop illuminating cream with vitamin e is also gud, n many said abt bb cream, hope something will work, keep ur self hydrate, all d best.