Life of Indians in stockholm

Discussion in 'Europe - Other Areas' started by madbhu, May 14, 2007.

1. madbhu

madbhu New IL'ite

Hi,
    I currently live in the US. We might have to move to stockholm, sweden for a couple of years. I have 2 children, one 6 yrs and the other 7 months old. I wanted some information regarding the housing, schools, grocery, in short life of Indians in Stockholm. I would be greatly obliged with any info.
    thanks and regards,
    Bhuvana

2. madbhu

madbhu New IL'ite

:idontgetit: I posted this message a couple of weeks ago. Atleast 59 or so members have viewed it, and not one has posted a reply! Either there are no members from Sweden/stockholm , or no one is willing to reply!

!!!!

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Bhuvana,

Looks like none of the ladies living in Stockholm or sweden have logged onto IL in a while. and possibly thats why no replies to your question. Why don't you try Private messaging the ladies living there. You can see their profiles in the " ladies in sweden introduce yourselves here" thread.

Good luck with your move

4. bhuvananarayanan

bhuvananarayanan New IL'ite

Hello Bhuvana

I have stayed in Stockholm for 6 months and I found it a great place, except for the winter.

About schooling

Swedes go to school to learn only by 7 years old. Till then , there is only playing and singing. Schooling is free till Ph. D.

About grocery

Indian vegetables like drumstick, ladies finger, yam,raw banana ,even coconut is a rarity. Get stock of items like cumin seeds, black pepper powder, pepper corns, coriander seeds etc. There are a couple of stores where you get Indian stuff, but not much. ICA is the popular departmental store where you get veggies and fruits. Klas ohlson is good for practically every item. For clothes, you have Ahlens, H&M etc. Grossen is also good for grocery items.

About restaurants

You can find Mcdonalds everywhere. There are a couple of Indian restaurants(they are actually bangladeshis) in T-Central.Not very good, but still ok

ABout temples

I have known only 2 temples in my stay there. One is the ISKON temple and the other is in the station next to Skogskyrkogarden.

About transport

Stockholm has the world's best transport system in the world. Anywhere, anytime you have the metro rail service and also the buses.You get passes that stay valid for a month and can be used in buses as well as trains. And for the baby which is less than 3 years old, it is free.Make sure the baby is always in a pram.

About life in general

There are not much Indians in Sweden. The population is very thin and there are a lot of aged people in Sweden. Generally Swedes take everything at face value and very straight forward. So when you say come over to my home for a chat, they do so . It is just a question of your convenience then. They are very friendly and are good natured .

The only drawback is the winter. It can be really severe that it is almost depressing. The sun comes out only for 2 months.

Life is just great in Sweden , so go ahead and enjoy.I hope these bits of info are useful to you.

Bhuvana

5. daudamina

daudamina New IL'ite

HELLO MY NAME IS masuma n am living in HUsknarna for the past 16 years.Its 4 hours drive from Stockholm.U get all electic appliance in u new home u need to buy indian food that mostly u got get in the local supermarkets.I dont know much where in stockholm but u get all the information through a tourist board.U first child will be able 2 start school u might have to stay at home with u 2nd.u need to learn swedish language its free.u Husband nu both get all the information from swedish embassy

6. shalusaini

shalusaini New IL'ite

hi Bhuvana,
    i m also new to stockholm . i live in ostaberg. i do not if any indian lives here.
    you can get grocery items from willy's. tihs store is the cheapest in stockholm.much cheaper then ica . ikea is the store from whereu can gat utensils , blanket n other items . OoB n lidl in scarholman r other cheap stores . there r many indian store from where u can get indian food items like masala n dals n indian vegetables. some of them r in rohduset , tecnisca , ksita , t-central. foe clothes u can go to cubus , H&M , lindex . for shoes dinsko is best option.
    i hope this will help u in some way.
    shalu

7. ksridevi81

ksridevi81 Junior IL'ite

Hi Bhuvana...

I am live in Gothenburg. I donno much in stockholm but almost it would be similar to gothenburg i guess. I agree with shalu that willys is cheaper than ICA. ICA and Hemkop are costlier when compared to willys.
    About the clothes you will find lot of offers in January (right now) and in late July. You can get the best offers in all over the shops...like ikea,H&M,Kappahl i mean wherever you go you will find REA. That is the best time you can buy lot of stuff. My friends bought some items for 200KR. But the same thing i bought it for 100kr. 15 days later. If have a store name called GEKAS in gothenburg there it would be more cheaper comparatively. If we plan to visit india we would be buying gifts like handbags, perfumes, watches we buy there. You check whether you have that kind of store in stockholm too.

Here summer would be very very beautiful. Im eagerly waiting for summer.

I would be glad if i can help you in any way.

Best regards

8. radeshmukh

radeshmukh New IL'ite

Hi,
    We have plans to move to Stockholm for long term. I have a 1.5yr old baby, and would like to know about the child education in Sweden/Stockholm. Is it in English, do they follow the international syllabus ?

Regards,
    Rupali

9. salehi

salehi New IL'ite

Hi,

I dont know whether they have International school curriculam.But as someone pointed out earlier, Pre-schools are open to childrean one to five years .Every Municipality
    have an obligation to provide pre-schooling for children whose parents work or study.

Pre-schools are, with the exception of bank holidays, open all year round, five days a week. Children whose parents are unemployed or on parental leave (with younger siblings) are entitled to at least 15 hours of pre-school per week.

Parents or guardians may opt to place their children in family day-care homes, where a family child minder receives children in their own home. The open pre-school is another form of pre-school where parents/guardians or child minders of young children, together with trained pre-school staff, educate children. No advance registration is required at open pre-school.

Hope this helps.

10. mandy2009

mandy2009 New IL'ite

hi I had moved to Stockholm a couple of months back with my husband and after seeing most of the city and tourist destination cant find anything more to do.
    Haven't come across any Indian women to make friends.Are there forums or groups I can join to make friends.Since i am staying here for a year
    I need to find some friends to talk to

Mandy