schooling in sweden

Discussion in 'Europe - Other Areas' started by connectgayathri, Nov 10, 2014.

1. connectgayathri

connectgayathri Bronze IL'ite

hi all,
    we came to sweden 2 days back.my kid is 7 years old.i want to put her in a english school.can anybody suggest about good school and their procedures.Is pin number a compulsory to join in school.
    thanking you
    gayathri

2. ksridevi81

ksridevi81 Junior IL'ite

Hi Gayathri,
    You didn't mention which state u r in. If it is Gothenburg then u have international school in Guldheden. If u wanna more details I can give my friends phone numbers who are in Gothenburg,sweden.
    Happy stay in Sweden
    regards
    devi

3. connectgayathri

hi devi,
    we stay in stockholmn.we want an english school.
    do you have any body about rentals in stockholmn
    regards
    gayathri

4. ksridevi81

ksridevi81 Junior IL'ite

Hi gayathri, Sorry I don't have any contacts frm Stockholm but for rentals I think u can go to website blocket.se something like that..... its been 4 yrs we have moved to india.. so sorry..but definitely u will have a community centre where u can go and register ur details so that u might get the house for rent. reg devi

5. connectgayathri

thanks devi... i ll find it out..but one more doubt?where will we get indian groceries?

6. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

You do not need a pin (ie person nummer) but you need to have a residential visa. If you go for a private school you will need the pin to get the schooling subsidized by the government. Schooling is mandatory so if your child is 7 and you live permanently you need to enroll him/her as soon as possible as you otherwise break the law. More information about the school system can be found from here:
    Finding the right school for your child | Your Living City

There are plenty of indian grocery stores. When you know where you will be living google can find the closest ones.

7. connectgayathri

hi,
    thanks for the reply...we want to put our child in english medium schools.so i think we need a pin number for getting subsidy right?Anyways thanks for your link.its very helpful.
    gayathri

8. CrayoNess

Not sure what you mean by medium school. Your child would be starting in primary school (grade one). If you choose english school then you can choose between government run school or private ones. There are several schools in the stockholm area to choose from. (here one example: Kista International School - Future Competence in a Global WorldKista International School - Future Competence in a Global World).

Regarding the person number it would be good to get those as soon as possible because they impact a lot of things. You cannot get salary/pay taxes/register your living etc without that.

You need to apply for the number within 3 months after your move.
    How do I get a Swedish personal identity number [personnummer]? | Crossroads

9. connectgayathri

{If you choose english school then you can choose between government run school or private ones. There are several schools in the stockholm area to choose from.}
    we want to choose english school,but in english schools they have fees.
    we cant pay the huge amount of fees ,since we came from india now.We need the pin number to get subsidy .So i think she can join the school only after getting the pin number.We have applied for pin number,but in the tax office they asked us to wait for 2 months.But keeping her in home for 2 months ,will be boring for her.
    this is my understanding about this problem,if you have any solution to this problem,please give me your ideas,i ll be so thankful
    regards
    gayathri

10. CrayoNess

There are basically three kind of schools, the municipa/government run and they are for free (and there are some that have english education), the "free school" (friskola) that are private but not allowed to take any fees (the government fund these) and totally private ones. For the "free school" there may be some issues with the pin but should not be an obstacle as you have applied for it. You have to enroll the child anyway to school now as you are breaking the law keeping the child out of school. Contact the school administration in the municipality where you are going to live and they can guide you.