1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Embroidery : Kantha work- instructions

Discussion in 'Embroidery' started by theartisticone, Jan 21, 2009.

1. shobana 007

shobana 007 Gold IL'ite

one more border

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  2. tumtuma3

tumtuma3 Bronze IL'ite

hi,artvani maam,I send for u some kantha work.I don't it will help or not.bonk

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. tumtuma3

tumtuma3 Bronze IL'ite

hi,artvani maam,I send for u some kantha work.I don't know it will help or not.bonk

4. tumtuma3

tumtuma3 Bronze IL'ite

few more design.:thumbsup

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. tumtuma3

tumtuma3 Bronze IL'ite

hi, kantha work.

Attached Files:

6. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi

The first one in orange is Lucknow Chikankari or Shadow work. I will start a tutorial a little later since I am busy with my sari

7. theartisticone

theartisticone Gold IL'ite

hi all,
    madhu, thanks for the link to nakshi kantha, so heres some information about it
    :
    Nakshi Kantha or embroidered quilt is a folk art of Bangladesh and West Bengal, India that has been passed down through generations.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-0>[1]</SUP> The art has been flourishing in rural Bengal for centuries.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-1>[2]</SUP>The name nakshi kantha became particularly popular among literate people after the publicaton of Jasimuddin's poem Naksi Kanthar Math (1929).<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-2>[3]</SUP>By far the most renowned embroidery of Bangladesh is the Nakshi Kantha. Immersed in ritual and social custom this “enchanted wrap” is an excuisite art where the basic material used is thread and old cloth.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-3>[4]</SUP>The art of kantha furnishes an illustration of the wonderful patience, craftsmanship and resourcefulness of the village woman.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-4>[5]</SUP> Kanthas are made throughout Bangladesh; but greater Mymensingh, Rajshahi, Faridpur and Jessore areas are most famous for this craft.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-5>[6]</SUP>
    The colourful patterns and designs that are embroidered resulted in the name “Nakshi Kantha”- derived from the Bengali word “naksha” which refers to artistic patterns.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-6>[7]</SUP>The early kanthas were of white ground reinforced with red, blue and black embroidery; later yellow, green, pink and other cplours were also included. The running stitch called kantha stitch is the main stitch used for the purpose.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-7>[8]</SUP> Traditionally kantha used to be produced for the use of the family. Today after the revival of the nakshi kantha these are produced commercially and have gained popularity.

[​IMG]

Running Stitch kantha: Running stitch kantha is truly the indigenous kantha. They are subdevided into Nakshi or figured and par tola or patterned. Nakshi or figured kanthas are again devided into motif kantha or scenic ones.
    Lohori Kantha: The name derived from persian word ‘lehr’ meaning meaning wave. This kantha is particularly popular in Rajshahi. These kanthas are further devided into soja (straight or simple) kantha, Kautar khupi (pegion coop or triangle), borfi or diamond (charchala, atchala or barachala etc).
    Lik or Anarasi (pine apple) Kantha: Found in Chapainawabgonj and Jessore area. The variations are lik tan, lik tile, lik jhumka, lik lohori.
    Cross Stitch or Carpet Kantha: This kantha was introduced by the English during the British Rule in India.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-14>[15]</SUP> The stitch employed in these kanthas are cross stitch.
    Sujni Kantha: This kantha is Found only in Rajshahi area.The popular motif used is undulating floral and vine motif.

The earliest and most basic stitch found in kanthas is the running stitch. The predominant form of this stitch is called kantha the phor or kantha stitch.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-15>[16]</SUP> The other form of stitches used are Chatai or pattern darning, Kaitya or bending stitch, weave running stitch darning, Jessore stitch(a variation of darning stitch), threaded running stitch, Lik phor or anarasi or ghar hasia (Holbein stitch). The stitches used in modern day kantha are the Kasmiri stitch and the arrow head. Stitches like herring bone, satin stitch, back stitch and cross stitch are occasionally used<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-16>[17]</SUP>

[​IMG]

so nakshi kantha is a little difficult and so we donot see many clothes adorned with it! i hope you could get an idea about it after going through it!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  8. theartisticone

swathi14 :hiya!
    glad you appreciate it!:thumbsup
    see as jaya said other materials are also used for kantha, if this is going to be your maiden attempt, i would suggest that you buy a cotton tussar sari and do kantha on it- the material will be easier to work with and mistakes are easily rectified whereas in a silk we should be double careful the the warp & weft do not move while correcting mistakes!
    dont you agree with me jaya?:hide:

9. theartisticone

hi ramashiva :hiya,
    glad you found it interesting! you should try it out and post your work!:thumbsup

10. ash18_g

ash18_g Silver IL'ite

Wow very nice work on saree ... very nice colour combination and design.