1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Embroidery : Kantha work- instructions

Discussion in 'Embroidery' started by theartisticone, Jan 21, 2009.

1. jsrivenkat

jsrivenkat Silver IL'ite

HI THOMAMARIA,

Thanks very much.Was thinking of designs for a saree in Kantha work.This is Timely help.For the Link too.Will check it out.

2. thomamaria

thomamaria Guest

thank YOU, Jsrivenkat for the link showing the different stitches. I guess our predecessors were really ingenious and made full use of the limited resources they had. We modern ladies are really spoilt by comparison!

3. jsrivenkat

jsrivenkat Silver IL'ite

Hi ,

I Second That View.What is learnt in comparing and competition fails miserably.But to know all the crafts to its basics is a welcome idea.I was along using only Running Stitches to do Kantha work.....For Filling etc.But this IL forum and This Site gave a broader perspective of the work.I have to learn thru this Thread to Master it.

4. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai

In the link provided by Jayashree the girls are working w/o embroidery frame. Can we do like that Or use of embroidery frame helps kantha work?

Andal

5. anjag99

anjag99 New IL'ite

Its Beautiful. The work is very neat and intricate. Can u send the design?
    Thanks,
    Anu

6. theartisticone

theartisticone Gold IL'ite

I am smitten by the black saree!! Hope I can find a similar one soon[​IMG]
    hi madhu,:hiya
    sorry for the late reply- was out for the weekend!
    thanks, why do you want to buy one? you can start a black kantha duppatta just like the black sari- dont you think? see it very easy to do a duppatta first and it does get over faster than a saree! do a black dupatta, use 3-4 colours and mix and match it with a white / offwhite chikan salwar set! :thumbsup

7. theartisticone

Yes I have the stuff I used to teach in the Anchor course for Kantha, Chikankari etc. Will post soon-- Feb 1st wk latest. MIL sick again so takes away a lot of time from my sari work

hi jaya :hiya
    get well soon first! we will wait until it is suitable for you to start the thread- take your own time!
    take care!

8. theartisticone

The mustard saree is stunning.

I have a question. What thread is generally used for Kantha? Do we have to use different threads based on different types of materials?

I had a kantha sari on a kind of poly silk. I recently gave away the sari to a needy woman. Else I would have tried to identify all the various stitches that you have mentioned about Kantha. Anyways, there is always a next time.
    hi sunitha :hiya
    jayamg has answered your question about the thread!
    always use cotton threads which are colour fast!

9. theartisticone

To add to your Kantha Subject i am posting a link which gives a close shot of the stitches.Hope this will add to your efforts in keeping the Bengal Work Alive.
    Best wishes,
    http://www.sashaworld.com/kantha/kantha.htm
    hi jsri
    thanks for the link!
    i did take a look at it- the same stitches have been called by other names- see as words differ from district to district and in w.bengal and bangladesh!
    eg: jhinge phool is nothing but tara butti
    dhaan chori is dhaneer shesh!
    see kantha though is local to bengal, it is done in few other states too- hence the change in names!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  10. theartisticone

These designs look suitable for kantha - I got them from needlecrafter.com - a free site - there are lots of nice [COLOR=green! important][COLOR=green! important]flower[/COLOR][/COLOR] [​IMG]
    patterns suitable for crewel and other types of embroidery.
    thomamaria :hiya
    thanks for the designs! the challenge lies in taking a regular design and changing it to a kantha design!