1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

embroidery for beginners

Discussion in 'Embroidery' started by Eashasuvana, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Eashasuvana

Eashasuvana Silver IL'ite

Hi, Im a beginner to the embroidery and knitting world. I have learnt a little bit from all the free videos and demonstration online and have tried a few projects, which I am going to upload.

I have to mention that I have no formal training or any formal way of doing embroidery and knitting. It is just an amateur enthusiast's work.

I would very much love all your feedback and guidance as to how to do it in a proper way.

I have uploaded a few pic of one of my very first attempts at machine embroidery. I have a janome.

the following are the ways I did this,

1. I bought net cloth of about 3.5 meters, machine embroidery thread, some oil papers, water soluble pens, embroidery frame, and embroidery needles.

2. I saw this design on the net (actually my fav actress Deepika Padukone wearing this saree). I drew this design on a chart paper.

3. I placed the net cloth on the chart paper and using water-soluble pen, traced the design.

4. Using oil paper as backing, I tucked it into the embroidery frame(the oil paper was a total mess, it does not give good backup as stretching would tear the paper and could not be stretched tightly for embroidery). Kindly some one please suggest good backing stuff as I could not find water-soluble interlining or adhesive backing in chennai.

5. I embroidered bit by bit to the whole 3.5 meters and tore away the oil paper after finishing. This took quite some time.

6. I got a replica of the golden lace from parrys and attached as a border.

7. Got some golden stones and had fixed throughout the net portion.

7. As I do not like net for front portion, I had changed the original design and got a golden material from Mangalram, Parrys for the front portion.

8. I have to mention that I stitched a satin inskirt and bought a readymade threadwork blouse for the saree.

Kindly give me feedback to improvise machine embroidery method friends.....expecting your feedback

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    9 people like this.

2. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Pretty work...keep trying you will get the required finish soon.

3. Eashasuvana

Thank you for the feedback....

I am enclosing original picture of the design,.......

The original saree has designs around upto knee length and I had wanted the design to be almost full length, so had made changes to the original.....

Backup for machine embroidery - Oil paper does not work well as a backup, so the finishing was not as I had expected.....I checked out net for suggestions and found water-soluble backups and interlinings, which I could not find in Chennai......anybody has an idea, please help me...

I had done the embroidery in Janome embroidery machine, so framing just the net cloth in embroidery frame alone did not work well too......

Kindly anybody doing machine embroidery, please give me your valuable feedback....

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  4. sharadau

sharadau Gold IL'ite

Hi Eshasuvana I had done machine emb on a synthetic saree using newspaper as backup.pin the newspaper pieces according to the designt do on a sample piece. and do the embroidery, firs

1 person likes this.
  5. umasivasankar

umasivasankar IL Hall of Fame

yes, as sharadau said,newspaper works well as a backup

1 person likes this.
  6. Eashasuvana

Hi Sharadau,

Thank you, thats a great idea, I will try...

7. Eashasuvana

thank you,....i am going to try

8. InduVioletta

InduVioletta Gold IL'ite

9. Eashasuvana

Hey thank you Indu....

1 person likes this.
  10. jingi92

jingi92 Gold IL'ite

Nice work on the sari ... great patience ... and yes newspaper works ok as backing