1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Embroidery: Kasuthi Work Instructions

Discussion in 'Embroidery' started by jaymg, Dec 5, 2008.

1. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi,

As requested by some of the ILites, I am posting instructions for Kasuthi embroidery.

There are 4 types of stitches in Kasuthi which is a 1000 years old art originating in the Chalukyan times. This is a counted thread embroidery done on even weave fabric.

Materials needed:
    Half metre matty cloth, (not the small Binny matty), cross stitch needle and Anchor embroidery threads.

1. Gavanthi. This is the plain nrunning stitch where the work is done by using 1 sq as the base unit.

2. Murgi or the zigzag stitch. I have used 2 squares as the unit for clarity but you must use 1 sq as the base unit on the matty.

The stitch in green are the stitches done when the work is started and the rest are finished on the return.

For the shell pattern I have put numbers, When the reqd length of the border is finished, the balance stitches are finished on the return

I hope that the instructions are clear and that you are able to execute the designs.

I will post some more pictures later (some border and motif patterns)

Regards
    Jayashree

Attached Files:

2. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Thank you

Jayashree.

Thanx for your effort in posting the embroidery instruction.

Andal

Thanks Jayashree, You are a Sweetheart!!

Thanks again!!:thumbsup

Hi Madhu and Swathi,

It was my pleasure and I hope that you enjoy this embroidery as much as I do

Jayashree:)

wonderful effort. it's a great use for me.

can you please tell, from where to start and how to finish the last , new one.

Thank you very much ....

Definity i will give a try...

Sindhuja

Thank you very much for the instructions. It is very clear

hi jayasree
    very good instruction dear....thank u so much....u hav taken lot of effort for all of us...hats off to ur patience ....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2009
  3. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi

More designs for you

Jayashree

PS

I will add designs once I get a feedback that you are able to follow the designs

Jayashree

Attached Files:

4. visalamkrishnan

visalamkrishnan Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Very neat instructions. U have explained it very well.
    Thanks for ur effort
    v.k.

5. meenak

meenak Bronze IL'ite

Hi Jayasree:

It is wonderful on your part to have taken this initiative. I've been looking around in the net for instructions on kasuthi work. Your instructions and photos are very clear. Thanks!

Regards
    Meena K

6. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Hi Sindhuja, Vishnu, Karthi, Leela and Vishalam,

Thank you ladies for your encouraging words. The betal nut flower in the new pattern can be started from any horizontal line outside the design, the design is worked in a clockwise direction completing all the stand alone stitches along the way and then the outer shell is completed on the return. The swan can be started from either the leg or the feather at the top and the design is done by working the body structure and all the embellishments along the line are also completed as they come along finally finishing the body line. I hope you are now able to work the design Vishnu.

Regards
    Jayashree

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
    Threadgeek04 likes this.
  7. jaymg

jaymg Gold IL'ite

Thanks Meena, I hope that you will try it
    Jayashree

8. ash18_g

ash18_g Silver IL'ite

Thankx a lot jayashree.. iam also looking for kasuthi emb instructions.hope i can learn from ur instructions.. i wl try.

ashwini

9. sravanthivenkat

sravanthivenkat Silver IL'ite

10. Sailaja.hyd

Sailaja.hyd Senior IL'ite

Hello Jayasree!

>Thanks a lot for posting the instructions. They are very precise and easy to follow and quite helpful.Specially your pics say more than the words. They clearly show that you are a very good teacher.
    >Its unfortunate that I am not in Bangalore or else I would have loved to learn from you directly.
    >Please keep posting.
    >Can you also give us the names of the designs when you post them? Some of them might be obvious like elephants etc, but some are not. So it helps.
    >What type of camera did you use?The pics are very clear.
    >Though I know Kasuti theoretically I was apprehensive of trying it. It needs a lot of patience. Me being a working person leaves me very less time to pursue such activities though I am very passionate about them.
    >Thank you!You made it look like a child's play. You have given hope that I can do it.
    >I will definitely try the designs. Please give us some more of the easy designs first and also borders too. I will try it out on a silk saree I have. Can we do it on cotton saris? I have only seen the work on silks.

>Thanks a lot

>Sailaja.hyd[​IMG]

Threadgeek04 likes this.