1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Embroidery :Machine Embroidery Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Embroidery' started by bindhudani, Jul 25, 2008.

1. leelagk

leelagk Gold IL'ite

re: Embroidery :Machine Embroidery Tips & Tricks

hi bindhu

what shilpa said was absolutely right.......if the problem is on top of the cloth u can adjust the bobbin screw .if below adjust the knob above........:goodidea:hope ur thread will be informative to everybody.:thankyou2:

leela

2. bindhudani

bindhudani Senior IL'ite

Thank you Vidya....thankyou Leela
    Coming to my next query..
    What to do if the filling spills out of the outline?

3. Vidu29

Vidu29 Gold IL'ite

Hi bindhu,
    Just as a painting is spoiled if you spill the colours out of the line, similarly, the thread should also not go out of the line . If you have to embroider on the area where the thread has spilled then you can adjust by embr-g on the thread. Otherwise try removing it with scissors.
    vidya

4. bindhudani

bindhudani Senior IL'ite

Oho...
    Felt like i had a kottu("knock on the head "for those who dont read tamil) from you.bonk
    Jus kidding ,VidyaBig Laugh
    Next question.. yes i know it is easier to ask but what to do.....i am that sort of a questioning dumbo exactly as u r thinking:hide:
    In janome stitch magic there is an inbuilt option to do chain stitch,but it works only when the presser foot is down with the normal feet attached.
    With the feet on,how can we do free hand chain stitch?

Thanks in advance for ur time and :hatsoff to ur patience

5. Vidu29

Vidu29 Gold IL'ite

No way bindhu, shakehead
    Those stitches that come only when the presser foot is down will not work with freehand style.bonk . so only straight lines are allowed Rant.
    :cheers
    vidya

6. bindhudani

bindhudani Senior IL'ite

Thanx Vidya.:)

I was talking to a friend about this and she said that,inorder to do free hand chain sticth,overlapped zig-zag is used.I tried but dint come my way.What are the other stitches that u've tried using ur machine?Pls post 'em for me?Love to c.

Has anybody here tried "Aari "?Can we learn by ourself :bangcomp:eek:r will require guidance?

7. Vidu29

Vidu29 Gold IL'ite

Hi Bindhu,
    I didn't quite get your friend's idea. Anyway I don't have any provision of chain stitching in my machine. In my machine there is a provision of some 10 stitches that can be done with/without the foot & the same number in which foot has to be used. the later can be used only as decorative stitches in dresses.
    The various styles of embroidery (if you are interested) that you can do in machine are:
    cut work, granite stitch,monogram, cording, satin stitch, applique, Persian embroidery, venetian embroidery, smyra embroidery, imitation velvet embroidery, Chinese embroidery,
    I will give details of each with pictures soon.
    Regarding aari work I have been trying it but without much success. I know it takes time but it is not too difficult either. It is a much better way of doing chain than trying machines.
    :cheers
    vidya

8. bindhudani

bindhudani Senior IL'ite

Wow ...Vidya:)
    Excited to know that i can do so much with my machine...doubly excited to know that u 've done 'em all..
    Am crazy about learning these things..
    Hope it'll interest others too...
    C'mon lets start.Pls post 'em as and when u find time
    Thank a tonne!!:bowdown

9. Vidu29

Vidu29 Gold IL'ite

Hi bindhu,
    Nice to know that I have at least one friend with whom I can discuss machine embroidery. I was just planning to give a regular "tip" on the variety of stitches one can do... starting today
    CUT WORK
    In this you have to first make an outline on the design with straight stitch, then cut out where ever required and then do close zig zag stitch along the design. If the material happens to be synthetic then you may complete zig zag without cutting & then using agarbathi (udhubathi) burn out the cut areas.
    In the pictures attached
    1. reference from my book as to how to do it.
    2. My trial 10 yrs ago
    3. sample from the same book.
    will post the pic of a saree I made in the post
    happy trying.
    vidya

Attached Files:

10. Vidu29

Vidu29 Gold IL'ite

1.. this is a sari I made for myself with cut work.
    Applique

Applique is attaching bits of fabrics to the main cloth. It is a little tricky though. If only one cloth is being attached then both the base material & the coloured material can be placed in the hoop & the design drawn on the top material. Run a straight stitch, remove from hoop & then cut out the top fabric where it is not required. Now replace the hoop & do zig zag.
    But if many bits of fabric has to be attached then either all pieces must be attched first by hand in running stitch & then zig zag or iron the coloured fabric on to a stiffener material & the cut the desired shape. since this will make it stiff one can directly attach it to the main /base fabric
    2..sample from book
    3..My trial

Attached Files: