Good branch in Engineering for girls?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by deepshikha, Feb 20, 2010.

1. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

I need some information regarding engineering branches for a girl relative who will be taking up admission in college soon. She needs advise as she is still in 12 and does not know much about different branches.
    Can you all suggest which is better Electronics&communications Eng.(ECE) or CSE(Computer science)? I have heard CSE has less demand nowadays, is it true?
    Also is ECE and Electronics and Telecommunications are the names of same branch, is there a difference between the two?
    Which branch has good job prospects and can also be pursued as higher studies?
    Also how good are core branches like mechanical etc. What are job prospects after mechanical in India and abroad.
    Also nowadays Nanotechnology branch is also popular, is it good to pursue in India?
    Please give some suggestions.Thanks!

2. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

For girls, I feel Information technology, Computer science and Biotechnology has good job opportunities. Even if you do ECE, E&I, Mech, production etc...girls have very few job opportunities in Core Industries. So finally they end up in IT jobs.

If the person is creative, she can take up BE in Fashion technology. When I joined BE this branch was not introduced. I missed it.

3. joohisinha

joohisinha New IL'ite

hi,

If u choose ECE u will have the job oppotunities in the fields of CS and IT also after doing some

short- term cources while CS and IT does not have that advantage.ECE is also beneficial for 'civil

services' and ' other government jobs' because you can only apply through ECE , EE (Electrical)and

ME branches . For GIRLS CS and ECE are the best .

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  4. brindaarun

brindaarun Silver IL'ite

I too go with joohisinha suggestion

If the girl takes up ECE she can join in IT, Electronics companies (like BHEL etc..) and electronic communication companies like (Nokia, IDEA etc)

5. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

No doubt go for CSC or IT if you have options in various colleges of same status.
    Give equal preference to college and branch because if you have campus recruitments happening, then no need to worry about job irrespective of any branch.

6. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Thank you ladies for your feedback, it is indeed going to be beneficial to my girl relative and other girls starting college.

I have few more questions:

1. Since she is filling up forms of different colleges now , at some places they are asking to give 3 branches in order of preference in forms. I advised her to keep ECE first, EEE second and CSE third. Was I right in this? What is your opinion?

2. Also can you tell more about EEE? Is it good for girls? Are they able to cope in it? What about jobs after EEE?

3. Joohi, you mentioned short term courses, do you mean the certifications like Cisco, Mcse etc.? Or some other course? In what year of college are these courses done?

4. What is your opinion ladies on mechanical engineering for girls? Can they get a job if they do It courses along with mechanical engineering? Any inputs on this?

Thank you very much for your replies. It is very helpful.

7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Deepshikha,

Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering (also referred to as Electronics and Communication Engineering depending on the university) focuses on the field of electronic devices and circuits. The career options based on this degree are very varied. It can include optics, telecommunication networks, biotech, integrated circuit design etc. A person with such a degree can very easily adapt themselves to associated fields like computer hardware and with some programming skills also work in the IT sector.

Electrical engineering (EE) in India refers primarily to power systems engineering. The main focus is on electrical circuits (power grids etc) and electrical machines (motors and generators). The career options are mainly in the power industry like power plants and power distribution and regulation agencies. With the emphasis on green technologies, opportunities in this field are poised for rapid growth.

Computer engineering is very closely associated with ECE but the major focus is on digital and analog hardware design, computer networks and programming. Again job opportunities are pretty varied. Chip design and testing jobs such as in companies like Intel and AMD are some examples. Also a person with such a degree can very easily adapt to a career in IT since they learn programming.

I would advise her to stick to a core engineering field and not go into IT etc. This is because it is much simpler for a person with a core engineering degree to move into IT than it is for an IT person to find a job in any other engineering field.

ECE, CSE, EE in that order would be my choices but that is a personal opinion. You should ask her what it is she will be happy seeing herself doing for the rest of her life.

HTH :thumbsup

8. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Gauri thank you for your reply. It is very informative.
    The problem is she is still in class 12 and does not have much knowledge regarding what different branch consist of. Can you suggest some introductory book which she can read and understand more about ECE, EEE.
    Particularly ECE, is there any book a complete fresher can refer to in order to understand what this field deals into? Thanks.

9. joohisinha

joohisinha New IL'ite

hi deepshikha,

The cources for ECE are CCNA( Cisco Certified Network Application), Dotnet,Java, Oracle etc.

Specially CCNA is currently very useful.It can be done during third year of B.tech. or after

completing B.tech. The course is generally for one month.

I also agree with Gauri in order of preference.

As you asked about ECE and elecronics and telecommunicaton I think that these two are

same .

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Deepshikha,

I don't really know of any books that discuss fundamentals of ECE or EE without going into a lot of technical details. These may not be suitable for a 12th standard student. One suggestion is to personally speak to someone enrolled in a BE or BTech course and learn more about these fields and future career options.

Also if you search Google for 'syllabus for ECE', you will find links to the course structures of many Indian universities. That might give her an idea of what exactly she will be learning. I would have posted the link but I am not sure about the rules for posting links.

If she has any specific queries, I will be more than glad to provide any information I have.

Wish her good luck for her board exams! :2thumbsup: