Good branch in Engineering for girls?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by deepshikha, Feb 20, 2010.

1. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Thank you ladies for your help. My relative has got Electrical and Electronics (EEE) in a college in Noida. It is considered a good college in that region although its a private college.

She filled her choices as ECE>>CSE>>EEE and got the last one... stiff competition for kids these days ..ehh...

She is fine with her branch as she understands now that it has a very wide scope. Still she says that if possible she will try to get CSE in second year(which will require very high GPA again).

I would be traveling to India soon and want to get some good books for her from here, that would be best gift I guess as books are very expensive in India and sometimes not available too.

After some research I thought of getting these 2 books, Engineering Mathematics K.A.; Booth, Dexter J. Stroud

Fundamentals of Physics, Volume 1 (Chapters 1 - 20) David Halliday
    Robert Resnick

One reason is I am able to get used copies of these at my budget price from Amazon :-(. getting best price on Amazon only and have some spare gift cards of the site too.
    Just wanted some opinion on these, if these are easily available in India then no point taking these. If you have any other suggestion for books for 1st year student Engg. please suggest. By the way how important is it to get latest edition of books? I am getting some old(2001, 1997) editions at a low price. Will that be any good? Considering its Engineering?

Otherwise I'll take some girly stuff for her instead.

thanks again.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Halliday and Resnick is a super book :thumbsup Its a CLASSIC!

But those are widely available in India in "Economy editions" I believe.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  3. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Deepshika,

I understand the love you have for her. Don't think of taking any Engineering books. It's shear waste. These days colleges give loads of books and seldom students have time to read. They don't find time to read extra material.

Also the teachers expect the same steps, methods from the books they teach from. If a student derives in a simpler & better method, rarely they get evaluated properly. Infact they are ridiculed. It's just my opinion.

Take something that she likes.

4. vipinonline

vipinonline New IL'ite

no need to go for Resnik and Hallidey..... though its an awsome book there are other books available which explains physics in simple language and in brief on the exam point of view....

5. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Thanks for your inputs everyone.

I decided not to take books as natpudan says. I feel its right that students have no time to read extra reference books.

6. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Hi friends I am here again in this old thread with some queries :) This thread has been helpful and I hope will solve doubts for many other girls starting college.

I have 2 questions:
    1- What is a good summer computer programming/technical course to do for an Electrical Engineering student, since they are not taught much of programming? Any other suggestions for EE students to productively spend summer vacations after btech 1st year?

2-Where can students look for internships during summer vacations? Is there a website where one can search for internship opportunities? What kind of internships are available for EEE students in India? Can Indian students do internships in US for a few months?

7. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear All..

Looking at the thread and the posts, I have a doubt!!!

What is the purpose of learning a core subject like ECE/EEE/Mech etc in College and then learning all programming/IT Stuff/ Computers as extra coaching??

This is like doing 2 Engg courses simulatneiusly!!!!

If there are jobs in ECE, EEE etc, why they need to learn IT and shift over??

Why so much pressure on the poor little students?? For Job sake?? or Competition????

Please throw light on the questions.. I am really frustrated reading all the posts.

Is it not enough if we are knowledgeable in our own subject whether its ECE or IT?? Why Jack of all Trade , Master of None??

8. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

My answers inline:

There are many openings and very highly paid openings for EE students in IT industry. Pre-silicon validation, post silicon validation, circuit/ logic design to name a few.

9. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Thanks Orion, taking up a project seems a good idea. Being in first year she does not have much idea about doing projects but I know she is interested as she once mentioned it.
    Apart from getting info from seniors are there any websites that she can look up to find project ideas and instructions?

10. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Members..

I am sorry if I deviated your discussion.

Please think about it, "A First year student - Would not even know how to do a project.. please allow the students to relax and let them identify their area of interest rather than we suggesting what we think is better"