Good branch in Engineering for girls?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by deepshikha, Feb 20, 2010.

1. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Thank you Joohi and Gauri. I am really grateful to you, this will help me a lot to help her :)
    Gauri I will sure convey your good luck to her! :)

2. cutesmile09

cutesmile09 Silver IL'ite

In my opinion,ECE,CSE,IT would be ideal for girls..Just my two cents

3. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Engineering branch CSE lost charm??

Ladies need some help and advise. My cousin sister is going to join college for engineering. She is very confused as to what branch to take up as many people nowadays are advising not to opt for CSE instead go for core branches. She is not at all interested in mechanical, civil chemical. She wants to work in the IT industry after BTech but people are saying that it is completely saturated(in India).
    Because of this she is now considering EEE, what kind of jobs can she get with EEE? We are also considering the fact that we would not like to send her for on field jobs in India, which are typical for core branches.

I need some advice on this, is CSE really losing its charm, will it be very hard to find jobs four years later after doing CSE? Please give your inputs?

4. Chitra29

Chitra29 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    You can get the syllabus thro' googling which gives you an idea.
    Your order ECE, EEE, CSe is good!
    Most of our fellow ILites have given advantages of choosing ECE.
    She can also choose EEE thro' which you can enter govt. Elect. dept., Power stations, Elect. Equipment manufaturer etc.,..
    Apart from that EEE is good choice if she likes to give a try for IES, Civil Services exams.

If she takes any core engg. she can apply for both core & IT industry.
    But if she chooses comp. or IT engg.,she can't go anywhere except IT industry.
    That is the point.
    Wishing her ALL ThE BEST
    chitra

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Engineering branch CSE lost charm??

I don't think that CSE is losing its charm. Sure getting jobs is not as easy as it was 10 years ago but that doesn't mean that there are not more than enough jobs for a well qualified engineer. If she is good at what she does there will never be a dearth of opportunities for her. Unless she genuinely loves programming and writing algorithms, my suggestion is EEE (I am assuming this stands for Electrical and Electronics Engineering). There are multiple reasons for that. One she can still learn programming along with her EEE curriculum and apply for most of the same CSE jobs that she can with a pure CSE degree. If she has any future plans of getting a post graduate degree either in India or abroad she will have many more options to choose from with an EEE degree. Very few EEE jobs require on site work or too much travel.

6. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Thanks Chitra and Gauri,

What about jobs in private sector in India after doing B tech EEE? Are there any?

Apart from programming, what other areas are there for a CSE student to specialize in? Also what about higher studies after CSE? Do people usually do M.S after B tech CSE?

Thanks for your help!

7. Chitra29

Hi Deepshika
    There are wide range of opportunities for EEE graduates in Private sector..
    Many companies like ABB, L&T, Bosch & Co., G.E. Elect., & other electrical equipment manufacturing companies take Elect. Engg. Graduates.
    Since their subjects deals with Electronics also they can get jobs in Electronics Industries also.
    I hope I made it clear!
    Thank you.
    Regards.
    chitra

8. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

deepshikha,

Do not decide the course based on placement records alone. Talk to your relative. Explain her about the courses and let her make the decision. EEE/ECE/EI are all dry subjects. CS/IT are all about programming. Biotechnology is a different one. There are many other new courses been introduced like Food processing technology, fashion/textile technology. Also Geo informatics/Agriculture/Printing technology.

Just my 2 cents.

9. Chitra29

10. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Re: Engineering branch CSE lost charm??

I completely agree with gauri.

EEE may have courses that may not interest some students but it has a very divers scope. You can go in for higher education into many fields including fields like finance/mathematics/financial engineering/accounting etc. EEE is a very 'core' subject. Also, if one wants to apply to U.S universities, I have seen some friends of mine having good scope in EE. They can do post grad degree in EE or some toher field.
    A lot of people in high positions have a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering. I was browsing through CEO profiles and realized this:crazy. They later do post grad in some business subject.
    BTW,I am not a EEE grad. I am ECE grad. That's a good field too. One can venture in to electronics as well as telecom field. Higher studies is a good option too for ECE.