Have you had Personal Growth along with Educational Growth ??? Check it again !!

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Deepali_deepali, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

A Warm Hi to all my friends,

Well, the forum's heading made me to think about it and brought an interesting topic to start..

Some of us have completed our studies and some studying. Some of us have completed our studies and some studying. Some still want to add more to their qualifications. No doubt, education reforms us, but to survive - Is educational growth the only necessity.. I think no and everybody of you will will agree that while studying, we were made to learn some extra skills, some development tools and various other creative skills..

But their is something what we call as " Personal Growth ". What I believe is we grow as an individual by our own efforts. Because we know our inner strengths and weaknesses most.Personal Growth is not attained in a day or in a month or in a year. Instead its a process which continues for lifetime. It brings personal development and progress.

Well, stopping the philosophy part, the practical thing is have we overcome our fears yet , which may be hindering our growth in even a smallest way.

When I was a kid, I had this problem of low-confidence..sometimes because of lack of communication or unexpressiveness, I could'nt talk to other children who were smart or intelligent. ANd this continued till graduation..I had this fear in mind that I won't be comfortable with other students who were better than me..This hindered my growth, though I was good at studies, was presentable too.. I wanted some other platform , where I could overcome this and it was when I entered in my PG. Diffrent place , different people.. I participated in all extra curricular activities, interacted a lot with other students and gradually I found changes in myself. This is just one situation..and I'm sure we have so many..

Here I want all the ladies to share their experiences and how they helped themselves for their personal growth, which will in turn help all of us..

1 person likes this.

2. vv123

vv123 New IL'ite

Hi deepali,

You have started a very good thread. Infact I have a similar problem. I am a Bcom graduate and done certification cources in computers. I started my career as a faculy in a good comp institute and started updating myself from there. I got a very good break in software dev. But just like all women I had to take a break in my career to take care of my daughter. I do enjoy taking care of her. I would want to be personally involved in all her activities. But apart from all this I still have low self confidence. I feel I have'nt studied much. I have a complex. My daughter (3 1/2 yrs old) is very smart and intelligient. But I feel I cannot take care of her well becoz I am not that smart. And she may have a prob becoz of this.
    I remember when I was in school, I never had the guts to ask qtns or even to stand up and answer. I used to feel conscious that all eyes are on me. I was an average student... just needed an extra push.. prob I feel I would have been great. When I started working as a faculty I was beginning to gain some confidence.. but now it's again gone.
    I know I may be good at something but do not know what. I want to do something diff in life but do not know what. I Want to feel confident. do not know where to start and what to do.

VV

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  3. Deepali_deepali

Hi W123,Thanks for your comments.. I will get back to you with my detailed reply for your situation but till then lets see what seniors and other ladies say on this.Thanks,

4. Deepali_deepali

Hi VV,

Well no replies yet !!!

First thing I would like to say is that you are decently educated, so throw out this thinking of less educated, right. Secondly, I think there is nothing which can stop you from raising your child in this present environment. I believe your child must have started schooling by now. If yes, then you must be having some extra time for yourself.Give this time to your personal growth..Communicate a lot. Talk with your neighbours, you are internet savvy so increase your knowledge.. If interested, search for a part time job. Interpersonal skills develop the most when we work in an environment other than our homes.. You will definitely improve..

Look for more replies...Thanks,

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  5. Deepali_deepali

OMG, so many views and almost no reply!!!

I was just thinking to what and how personal growth happens??

Well, is that through education, through age, or automatically.. I think, its through all. Education changes our thought process, but there are certain other elements also are involved.

The key to personal growth is happiness.. If we are happy, we are encouraging ourselves to learn, we boost ourselves to know more about everything. Different people have different approach to personal growth or self development, which is what I want to know from you all..

So, please join and share...

6. nazreenmusthafa

nazreenmusthafa New IL'ite

Hi deepali, i have been reading all that u and the members have expressed. Infact like u said education is not just about going to school and universities. Education starts the moment we enter into this world. the people, the circumstances our experiences all effect our thoughts and in turn our growth as individuals. As a graduate in science i defientely may know a little more on ceratin subjects in science than others, but other thatn that i am just the same as a non graduate. Life is a beautiful universtiy and this world here where we live has been an excellent teacher that has taught me patience, will power, confidence and many more....

7. Vijaya@17

Vijaya@17 Silver IL'ite

Hi friends !

I like this site because everyone expresses openly what they feel. I am B Com graduate and was average student. Always I feel I could have performed better if the clock was turned backwards. But dont know how to overcome my low esteem and improve on my conversation skills.

8. Deepali_deepali

Dear Nazreen,

Very well said.... Life is a beautiful university..Thanks for your elaborated reply and I like your positive outlook towards life.

9. Deepali_deepali

Hi Vijaya,

Thanks for dropping in.. And you are absolutely right about IL.. One thing I'd like to tell you dear that it is never late to learn.. You write so well and I am sure your conversation must be good and clear..If you really feel so, as you've written then I feel it is just that you don't open up fully or you don't express..Dear you have come to the right place..Sharing and writing in IL will definitely help you.. and again I would say communicate a lot.

BTW Are you working??

10. Deepali_deepali

Hi Ladies,

"What do you think about how to start with my personal growth? "

The first and foremost thing , as I said earlier is happiness.. We should learn to be happy for ourselves. Self negative talks must be avoided as they block our area of improvement. Instead self actualization is needed.

This is something very useful excerpt I found in an article --

Awareness of our feelings is the first step to personal growth.

When I identify my negative feeling, I have identified an area for improvement. -- For example, when I am feeling impatient, I have an opportunity to work on my patience. When I am feeling inflexible, I have an opportunity to work on becoming more flexible. Here are a few more:

When I am feeling...----- I have an opportunity to become more...

Judgmental
    ---- Accepting, compassionate
    Confused -----Educated, enlightened, informed
    Critical ----- Compassionate
    Needy, Weak, Dependent -----
    Strong, Confident, Independent
    Pessimistic ----- Optimistic
    Self-blaming, self-destructive ----- Self-accepting, self-compassionate
    Insecure
    ----- Self-secure

When we label people, places or situations, we rob ourselves of a growth opportunity. When we label our negative feelings, however, we identify our unmet emotional needs and the areas we need to work on in ourselves.

Source : The EQ Institute, Emotional Intelligence

Read it, its useful...and drop your views too..

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
    1 person likes this.