How to learn driving in US?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Renu1999, May 8, 2009.

1. Renu1999

Renu1999 Bronze IL'ite

Hi ,
    I am in US for almost 5 years but havent started driving yet. bonk. My husband is very unhappy about it. I took the written test and got full score. I went to take driving class and I took 10 classes and It didnt help me to drive. Now this summer it want to do that. how did u guys start.... help me to come out of this fear.

2. vijikathir

vijikathir Senior IL'ite

Hi Renu,
    Everybody is having this same fear before start practicing(Me too). I thought I will never drive car. But I did practice a lot. Now I have a license. Just try to keep on practice. You will get a license soon. After some classes from student driver, may be you can practice in your own car with help from your husband. Thats what I did.

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

In USA its best to start practice on country roads having less traffic and then work into high speed and busy highways. Have your husband drive you out of town and then you drive for a while for the practice. You can combine it this summer with shopping farmers markets or learning routes.

Have fun driving!

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

I used to ride a scooter on Delhi roads but learned driving in the US. My husband gave me initial lessons and later I took driving lessons from a local driving school.

We used to find an open parking lot, preferably a church parking lot on weekday mornings and practice there. The only way for you to get rid of your fear is to just get behind that wheel and do it. Go get that monster! :thumbsup You can do it.

Raj

5. lakshmit

lakshmit Bronze IL'ite

hi,
    Not only u have this fear. I too have the same fear. I came to U.S an year back, i haven't driven in India- even the cycle.. my dh also felt that bad that i've not learnt driving.. After reading all ur articles got little bit of confidence that i can also do it... Let me practice a lot and after a while will send u the feedback..

love..
    lakshmi..