Idioms and Phrases - Usage and examples

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Deepali_deepali, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

We come across thousands of phrases. Many of them are known to us but there are some we may not have used or heard. So, I wish to know more of them and share that I know.These are some idioms and phrases, that we use in our daily English language.

1. Piece of Cake- Something easy. Ex. - Making Rajma is a piece of cake for me.

2. At Stake - At risk. Ex. - Raju has made Satyam's business and repo at stake.

3. Beyond Question -Undoubtedly. Ex. - Chitvish's recipes are beyond question, easy and tasty to make.

4. Paint the town Red- enjoy nightlife with drinks. Ex.- Yesterday, all the boys of my class painted the town red.

5. Dress to kill - Wear one's finest clothes. Ex. - You are dressed to kill today, your fiancee will marry you today itself.

Kindly share more...I'll come up with more of them..

2. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear deepali,
    very useful. nice way to impart the knowledge
    about idioms and phrases. thank you for sharing.
    with love
    pad.

3. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Hi Deepali

glad to share.

1.Achilles' Heel--weakness, flaw.Eg.-He is an A student in Math, but English is his Achilees' heel.

2.Add Fuel to the Fire--to make a bad situation worse. Eg.-I was already angry with you, and when you forgot to pick me up, that really added fuel to the fire.

3.Apple of your eye--a person or thing that is greatly loved.Eg.-Smitha is the apple of my eye.

4.As the crow flies--measured in a straight, direct line between two places. Eg. Jenny lives only a few blocks from school as the crow flies.

5.At the drop of a hat--without delay. Eg. John would have gone to the football game at the drop of a hat.

4. Deepali_deepali

Dear Sundarusha,

I appreciate your interest in adding more useful idioms..Thanks.. Keep posting more..

1. Baby Blues -Feelings of depression/ anxiety. Eg. I am having baby blues thinking of the labour pain.

2. A feather in one's cap - Symbol of achievement - Eg. Infinitehopes has another feather in her cap by winning best blog contest this month.

3. A safe pair of hands - A reliable person- Eg. She needs not to worry, as she is now in safe pair of hands.

4. Out of the woodwork - Out in the open from concealment . Eg. Shikha's court marriage is out of the woodwork now.

5. Coax to do - to insist. Eg - Indusladies has really coaxed me to make more paintings.

5. Deepali_deepali

Few more --

1. Caught in the crossfire - Caught in between two enemies. Eg.- I just wanted to clear the misunderstanding, but never knew that i'll led myself caught in the crossfire.

2. Dead and Buried -
    gone forever -Eg- You should not tell this to your hubby now, when it is already dead and buried.

3. A penny for your thoughts -
    To ask about what someone is thinking about - Eg.- Why are you silent since half an hour, may i give you a penny for your thoughts?

4. A steal -
    less costly than worth. - Eg.- I can't stop myself buying these paintings, see, it's a steal.

5. Mad as a badger - Crazy - Eg.- How can you ask him to leave his job.Have you gone mad as a badger?

6. geevee68

geevee68 Platinum IL'ite

Very useful ones for our day to day usage.

ICING ON THE CAKE---------- an added bonus factor which comes along with something you acquire.
    BLUE EYED ONE.....................Most favourite
    CHIP OF THE OLD BLOCK...........exactly like somebody

7. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Very Excellent thread DEEPALI and very very useful too

Thank you very much for starting the thread and also for sharing examples

Few from me::

GO DUTCH........Dividing the cost equally ......

POT LUCK DINNER - where everbody brings something

Hey, THE FIRST ONE, i learned from IL ONLY , and eagerly waiting to learn more and more

8. Deepali_deepali

Thanks a lot Geevee..for sharing these useful idioms..Please share more..

9. Deepali_deepali

Hi Lata,

Contributions from the seniors is absolutely encouraging..Thanks for sharing these idioms...

10. Deepali_deepali

Another set of phrases -

1. Get your goat - Making angry - Ex. I'll get my mother's goat if I don't reach home on time..

2. A pretty penny - Expensive. Ex. This dress is pretty penny than its worth.

3. Add insult to injury - Making bad situation worse.Ex. Calling Shikha to resolve the matter was like adding insult to injury.

4. Root and branch - formal. Ex. The company has announced his achievement root and branch.

5. Go it alone- to do something oneself. Ex. I generally go it alone when I take up something.