Tips to improve your communication skills.

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by mythreyiraju, Mar 30, 2009.

1. mythreyiraju

mythreyiraju Senior IL'ite

Editor's Note: Thank you mythreyiraju for sharing this post with us. It is definitely a very useful one. Your post has been chosen as the best of forums. Congratulations! For viewership by a larger audience I have it as an article here.

Dear Friends,

Communication - It is a single word, but everyone needs it. Animals, birds, trees and human beings etc......... every one in this earth is communicating in their own way for their needs. Am i correct?

Now a days, in this corporate world, this word plays a vital role. Everyone
    is talking about this Communication Skills only.

When i am trying to improve my communication skills. I got some good points. I am very much impressed with that and i decided to share with you all. i hope it may be useful to all our dear I Lites.

Here, i am giving some ways to improve our communication skills and try to get expected productivity by using this.

1) Develop your voice – A high whiney voice is not perceived to be one of authority. In fact, a high soft voice can make you sound like prey to an aggressive co-worker who is out to make his/her career at the expense of anyone else. Begin doing exercises to lower the pitch of your voice. Here is one to start: Sing — but do it an octave lower on all your favorite songs. Practice this and, after a period of time, your voice will begin to lower.

2) Slow down – People will perceive you as nervous and unsure of yourself if you talk fast. However, be careful not to slow down to the point where people begin to finish your sentences just to help you finish.

3) Animate your voice – Avoid a monotone. Use dynamics. Your pitch should raise and lower. Your volume should be soft and loud. Listen to your local TV news anchor; take notes.
    4) Enunciate your words – Speak clearly. Don’t mumble. If people are always saying, “huh,” to you, you are mumbling.
    5) Use appropriate volume – Use a volume that is appropriate for the setting. Speak more softly when you are alone and close. Speak louder when you are speaking to larger groups or across larger spaces.
    6) Pronounce your words correctly – People will judge your competency through your vocabulary. If you aren’t sure how to say a word, don’t use it.
    7) Use the right words – If you’re not sure of the meaning of a word, don’t use it. Start a program of learning a new word a day. Use it sometime in your conversations during the day.
    8) Make eye contact – I know a person who is very competent in her job. However, when she speaks to individuals or groups, she does so with her eyes shut. When she opens them periodically, she stares off in a direction away from the listener. She is perceived as incompetent by those with whom she consults. One technique to help with this is to consciously look into one of the listener’s eyes and then move to the other. Going back and forth between the two (and I hope they only have two) makes your eyes appear to sparkle. Another trick is to imagine a letter “T” on the listener’s face with the cross bar being an imaginary line across the eye brows and the vertical line coming down the center of the nose. Keep your eyes scanning that “T” zone.
    9) Use gestures - Make your whole body talk. Use smaller gestures for individual and small groups. The gestures should get larger as the group that one is addressing increases in size.
    10) Don't send mixed messages - make your words, gestures, facial expressions, tone and message math. discipling an employee while smiling sends a mixed message and therefore, is ineffective. If you have to deliver a negative message, make your words, facial expressions and tone match the message.
    Hope this is useful for you all.........
    Thank You.

My3:thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.

2. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear mythri,
    very useful post. every body should know how to communicate. a person may be having brilliant ideas in his mind but if he does not put them in correct words, correct manner,his ideas will go into thin air. thanks for sharing.
    with love
    pad.

3. sravy

sravy Bronze IL'ite

Hello MY3 ,

Thanks for sharing such useful information . These tips will help every one to get good communication skills .

4. chaitusri

chaitusri Silver IL'ite

Hi My3,

Thank you for sharing good tips .

I feel good command over language will make you the winner of the communication skills. Till high school my studies were in my mother tongue(telugu), later I concentrated much on main subjects.In a crowd I can express all my thoughts in telugu in very efficient way, but if it is english some devil enter into my mind and it spoils all my message/expression.I am working hard to kill that devil and express my thoughts in english as sweet as in telugu. Your tips will be helpful for me to reach this.

5. mythreyiraju

mythreyiraju Senior IL'ite

Dear Friends,

Thanks Padmini and Sravy for your comments.

Love
    My3:thumbsup
    Believe the best of everybody

6. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

Hi My3,

Thanks for sharing good tips with us, Communication plays a very very important role in our day to day life.. :thumbsup

7. aarthilr

aarthilr New IL'ite

Hi Mythreyi,

Really stunning tips.The best part of your writing is you give a tip and then also give a test to check if they are doing it properly.I liked the eye contact one especially.
    I too know many men who do not make eye contacts with women when they are discussing.It makes the woman feel completely embarrassed.
    Thanks for the usable tips!
    Aarthi

8. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai Mythreyi,

Useful tips for an important skill. Communication is necessary for human -right from birth.

You have presented it in a neat way and tips on where emphasis should be given etc

very practical. Thanks for the tips.

andal

9. nova09

nova09 New IL'ite

Communication is essential in any relationship. The verbal and non-verbal communication should be congruent. Eye contact, tone, volume, facing the person and displaying willingness to listen/relate should be conveyed to the other person. Your non-verbals communicate more than the actual words.

10. raji_siv

raji_siv Bronze IL'ite

hi mithrayei,

wonderful and useful trip to all. Communication is very important to all in all fields.good writeup.

reg

raji