teaching in the uk

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by fiona, Feb 26, 2009.

1. fiona

fiona Bronze IL'ite

hi , i have a BA ,B.Ed degree from India and i woiuld like to teach in UK but i do not have any idea on how to go about it . i wouldn't mind teaching even the tiny tots,nursery. pls help me . need ideas ,suggestions.
    thank you:)

2. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Fiona:

A question before I suggest anything - Do you have teaching experience in India?

Though the schools prefer UK experience, I have heard quite a few of my friends say that the UK experience is not really needed. I'm not very sure on that account.You could start with applying for teaching positions in schools local to your area. You can get hold of these jobs in the local council sites and in the local newspaper. For any job related to working with children, you need a CRB check done (Criminal Record Bureau). Do go through the site mentioned here.

Another option could be to start volunteering in the nearest local school (so that you do not commute to volunteer!). If you have children you could start off by volunteering in your children' school - it is easier that way. Sometimes it so happens that there may be a vacancy in the school you volunteer - and you could easily apply for the job as some of these they try to fill internally. If you haven't been in the UK for long then this (volunteering) maybe a good way to get used to the school atmosphere / system, British accent, etc., The CRB check for volunteers is done by the school itself.

Hope this helps to get you started. Do let me know if you have any related queries.

Sindhu

3. fiona

fiona Bronze IL'ite

thanks sindhurao, actually the thing is that after my B.Ed, i worked just for few months and than i was married off :). your information is very informative, thanks once again

4. sunflower19

sunflower19 New IL'ite

Hi Sindhu,

I am currently in the US but there is a chance that we may land in the UK in another year or two..I am very interested in taking up a teaching course in the meantime. Do you know specifically about the name of the course to be taken in order to be an elementary school teacher? Also, if I take the course in the US, is it recognized universally? Thanks for reading!!

h

5. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Sunflower19:

There are different teaching courses depending on the age of children. Interestingly, the courses are subject wise also - so you have different courses for mathematics, english, science, etc. So you can train to be a science, maths... teacher. About US course being recognised - I do not about that, but will check out and let you know.

Best wishes for everything.

Sindhu