how to improve writing skills in english

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by dewa12, Jan 15, 2009.

1. dewa12

dewa12 New IL'ite

how to improve writing skills in english? suggest any good websites..

2. saranya.27

saranya.27 New IL'ite

Inorder to improve writing skills, one must read a lot of books. I had the same problem 2 yrs back. On my husband's suggestion I started reading some good books. In 6 months I was able to write effectively.
    So my suggestion would be:
    1. Read a lot of books. Preferably Charles Dickens. You can learn a lot from his work.
    2. Atleast read 1 book every month.
    3. Start your own blog and write about something intersting in it everyday......this will help you understand your weak points in writing.
    That's all from my suggestion. Here is a website I found abt improving writing skills. Hope it helps you.

How to improve writing skills with writing exercises

Regards,
    Saranya.

3. vibusha

vibusha Bronze IL'ite

thanks a lot saranya. i am also same problem.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  4. dewa12

dewa12 New IL'ite

saranya..... thanks for info
    :thankyou2:

5. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dewa and Vibusha,

In order to improve one's writing skills the best advise I can give you is to start writing/blogging whenever you have free time.You will definitely see the difference in a few months time.Well, couple of things that you can note here are..

1) Enrich the content by replacing some of the mundane words for more sophisticated ones.Look up for synonyms of a word which is repetitive in a passage and replace it with another word.That way,you have not only added a new word in your mental lexicon but also made the content more impressive with apt words.There are few words eg. good , bad which are overused ,so dig up for words which convey the true meaning with the right degree of emotion you want to impart.A good thesaurus at hand is a very useful tool to sculpt great writings.

2) Read a local newspaper or online edition of reputed international daily newspaper [ Wall Street Journal/NY Times ].The style of writing in these newspapers is considered to be exemplary and you will learn a lot.When I initially started reading these journals , I was overwhelmed with the classy style of writing.

3) Be passionate when you write something.You will never be able to write well on a subject which you are not passionate about.

4) Maintain a diary to record your diurnal activities.That way , you will have something to write about every day.Try to be as creative as you can and look for ways and means of recounting your unremarkable tales with remarkable style.

Last but not the least, why not try posting few snippets in 'Snippets' forum of IL.It is a great way to hone one's writing skills and you will receive feedback for your posts as well.Hope this information is useful.

1 person likes this.
  6. onemoreid

onemoreid New IL'ite

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dewa, as Sabitha suggetsed, do post more often here in IL and while you do that, come join us in "English matters" - feel free to ask/write anything you want, all of us there love it.

8. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  9. Anikshi

Anikshi New IL'ite

hi , to improve writing skills , children should read lots of books to make their new sentence and good vocabulary . i tell my son to read newspaper , good novels .

10. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

The short prose reader by Gilbert Muller and Harvey Wiener is a very good book. It is a recommended text for writing for college students in America. I have a copy and it does a good job of explaining the different types of writing styles and gives a good amount of examples.