Industrial Psychology vs PMP - Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by ssrgopal, Jan 30, 2016.

1. ssrgopal

ssrgopal Silver IL'ite

Hi All,
    I was working for 8 years in IT field India and now I am in US under H4 visa and expecting a baby in April 2016. I want to get back to work in a year or two, but don't want to CODE. I am a person who values people and have good communication skills as well. So I like to get into Manager role. This job role will be new to me, so, thinking about certification like PMP.
    If not, I still have my core interest in Psychology and would like to Industrial and Organizational Psychology. But wondering, if this will be a extreme different field compared to IT and not sure about the job options also.

Now I will have time for next 3 months to do a research and come to conclusion.

Please share your feedbacks/thoughts/ or any alternatives you have in your mind.

Appreciate your time and help!

Thank you!

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I would judge the book by its cover and discourage anything with 'Psychology' in its description. :)

Long term plans? Going back to India? Do your skills need to be employable in India too?

1 person likes this.
  3. rohsiK

rohsiK Gold IL'ite

Go blindly with PMP, Industry psychology would be difficult for you to secure a job, as your core back ground was IT.Psychology is suited for people with domain experience in HR n associated fields...

sindmani and ssrgopal like this.
  4. ssrgopal

ssrgopal Silver IL'ite

5. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

If u think direct management role is not offered to you now because of (u r on break now, and not yet worked at management), then try "business analyst" job, where u will be conducting meetings for clients and development team and project leads and managers. You will understand entire process of application and document it, and sometimes conduct UAT test etc based on org.

I suggested this as it involves lot of communication with different levels of people for the success of project. You may need to deal with peoples egos, some politics by certain people to make their point etc so many. so it is good job for you interests.

If u prove yourself well and then with help of ur PMP certificate u can get your dream management jobs easily, after that only your people skills takes you higher I believe, what ever may be your technology or domain knowledge is.

sindmani, JGVR and ssrgopal like this.
  6. ssrgopal

ssrgopal Silver IL'ite

Thank you KashmirFlower. Will try that as well.