Sense of Humor as a Life Skill

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rihana, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What is a sense of humor?

"Jim's sense of humor was well-known among his friends...." read obituary of Jim Somebody (1928 - 2015). I do seek out obits, but this time it was just peeping at me from below the cutting board placed on yesterday's newspaper.

Is a sense of humor the ability to tell a joke effectively? Probably not. Though, often the Uncle with a hearty laugh, carrying voice, and ability to narrate a joke well does draw people and compliments on his sense of humor at parties.

Is a sense of humor an acquired skill? What is it? Laughing? At oneself? Making others laugh?

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Rihana dear glad I got the opportunity to give the first fb. First I thought when Isaw it is from Education & Personal Growth I wont be able to give the fb as I am not a graduate. But th equestion yu have asked I can answer I think, I think sense of humour is able to make others laugh and you should have the ability to make others laugh

3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is being able to find amusement in the darkest of places/things, to laugh at yourself and others, the ability to see the absurdity of life in general.

It is a life skill and can surely be acquired by a detached observation of the world around you. But for that you have to first learn to be okay with yourself. If you are too inward-looking, self-conscious or egoistic, you tend to become humorless, because you associate everything with your self-worth.

Some of the funniest people I've met are manic depressives. Sometimes I think a sense of humor is a neurological adaptation to survive extreme rationality, something characteristic of depressives. If I couldn't laugh at myself and my predicaments I would be a lost cause. :biggrin2:

friscomom, sindmani, Amica and 10 others like this.
  4. Rihana

Viji meri jaan (my dear),

If you don't stop saying 'I am not a graduate', I will start a university just to give you an honorary degree. Capiche? :)

Thanks for the quick first reply. I really thought thread will simply languish.

I don't think it is much to do with ability to make others laugh.

5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Aunty, There is a doha (couplet) by Kabir Das in Hindi that says --

pothi padh padh jag mua, pandit bhaya na koyi,
    dhayi aakhar prem ke, padhe so pandit hoye.

The gist of it is that degrees and books and education don't lead to true knowledge. Many great sages and teachers came and died, and we forget all about them. The 2.5 letters (in Devnagri) of love are all you need to become immortal. Our lives and existence are made meaningful only by the love we share.

On that count, aunty you have a PhD!! You are always welcome to share your wise words here in E&PG.

11 people like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rihana,

A person with a great sense of humor would have a lot of spontaneous responses to situations whether it involves him/her or other people. He/She should know that the sense of humor varies from person to person, situations and circumstances. Sense of humor calms the nerves in situations that are not conducive. Humor should never be used to disrespect anyone or self. To generate humor, one need not be the happiest in life. A person who is deep in ditch as far as life is concerned could be as humorous as anyone could. One of the great skills people who need to speak to the audience build is to open their remarks with humor to put the audience at ease and listen to the speech with full attention. More after seeing some more comments.

Viswa

sindmani, kaniths, Sun18 and 4 others like this.
  7. Rihana

Aah.. 'absurdity'.. just the word I was looking for (to also include) when composing first post, but it eluded me like that piece of cream I chase in the chai I stir.

"Ability to see the absurdity of life in general."

Me too, holding off on saying more - want to see more comments.

1 person likes this.
  8. rohsiK

rohsiK Gold IL'ite

In my point of view, there exists no clear cut definition for sense of humor, its an inborn characteristic, varies from person to person based on their emotional quotient....

2 people like this.
  9. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Rihana and Mami,

You don't have to be a graduate to laugh, have to be just a nice human being that is all...As far as my general knowledge goes I think only human beings have the attribute to laugh and understand humour..Please correct me if I had missed a species who has that knowledge...

All the kids laugh, right, are they graduates..
    I have seen graduates.....wow, u have to given them money and even then whether they laugh is big ?. In tamil we say ' siricha muthu kotti vidum pola'...the meaning in english would be if they laugh may be pearls will spill off their mouth..sorry Rihana not good in translation..

Well, u don't have to know jokes etc to tell, but you could atleast smile and laugh when others talk humorously, right. Some of them don't know or had forgotten it, probably.Small things in life, make a difference and humor is one among them, which lightens ur heart and soul. An easy way of attaining pleasure in life and also to forget the sorrows.

Furthermore some people, not only are they gifted being humorless, but they are also gifted to make others smile and humor to stop, by their taunts and harsh replies..Just a peep into relative forum is enough..

Thanks Rihana, for the thread..mademydaysmiley

sindmani, iyerviji, Cheeniya and 2 others like this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Rihana, Gauri and Vaidehi I meant about being a graduate not for this post but for coming to this forum. Yesterday I saw Rihana's post and as usual wanted to give first fb so whatever came to my mind posted. Will come back later about my opinion, feedbacks are all good. Thank you Rihana, Gauri and Vaidehi because of the inspiration from you all only I post in most of the forums

2 people like this.