multimedia courses and their future

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by amnilakshmi, Dec 1, 2015.

1. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I am thinking of doing a multimedia course. I am confused on what specifically i should learn. Should i go for youtube or join a course? I basically want to know the future and job opportunities for this. Can some one guide me

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Multimedia spans a huge range of skills. Can you start off by listing 3-4 areas that interest you? For example, out of Website design fundamentals, animation, graphic design, game development, which catch your interest? Or take a look at any multimedia course provider's website and list 3-4 areas that interest you.

Next thing is your current experience, area of work. If you can share more about that.

Choices are aplenty now-a-days. Generally speaking, free will be as good as free gets. Joining a local course is almost never needed, and the time spent in commuting to it, plus the fixed nature of timings, make such study less useful, unless employer is paying for it.

There are quite a few reputable online choices. You could pick one depending on your skill level, ability to self-study, how much help you need with the work, how much money you want to spend, and end aim in taking the course - changing area of work, or becoming (more) employable.

1 person likes this.
  3. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Hi

Could you please post some good tutorials which can teach me from scratch. I am more interested in animation and game development. IF you could tell me what to learn, it would be great. Thank you

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Game Design:
    The 5-course specialization from Coursera has been recommended by programmers/hobbyists familiar with Unity3D and game development. That would be the best option - not too expensive, and serious enough. But, it is not for novices. And, Coursera courses tend to be pretty intensive, and need solid work, study. So, this could be saved as a 'wish list' item - to do when ready (with time and skills, knowledge).

Meanwhile can pursue a Udemy course on the same topic - these are generally easier, self-paced, come with life-time access, and there is usually a coupon available for Udemy if you google it, or just create an account, they have sales often and they send emails about sales. Never pay more than $10-20 for a udemy course. : )

Links to the courses mentioned above:
    https://www.coursera.org/specializations/game-development
    https://www.udemy.com/introduction-to-game-design-with-unity3d/

I've not checked out these specific courses in detail myself, but a reading of the description, and reviews by enrolled students, and my experience with other Coursera/Udemy courses indicates these would be a good entry into the field of game design.

Good Luck.

==============
    Also, take a look at all courses offered by Rob Percival at udemy.com Whenever there is a sale, buy any that interest you. Reading between the lines of your posts - I think his courses would be very worth the time and money invested by you.

========
    Will try to post on animation by the year-end.

===========
    For a much more relaxed and casual introduction to game development:
    https://gamesalad.com/
    http://learn.gamesalad.com/

1 person likes this.
  5. rohsiK

rohsiK Gold IL'ite

If you are beginner with zero programming knowledge, I would then suggest you to learn at least the basics of programming so as to understand the fundamental architecture like logic and algorithms. One of the most widely used languages these days is C sharp, you can even opt for any other programming which interests you like Java, Action script...

C# with 3Dunity Engine is a great way to start for a beginner ( thou JS has a lot of advantages compared to C sharp)...