Learning to drive a car

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by hereiam0111, Nov 26, 2015.

1. hereiam0111

hereiam0111 Junior IL'ite

I hope this is the right place where I can create this thread. Does it count as personal growth? If not, please forgive me but please be a darling and reply.

I want to learn 4 wheeler because I am sick of depending on my DH wherever I want to take my DD. I have a scooty but my DD doesnt stand properly or sit properly on it and I too dont like to take scooty into heavy traffic areas because she may get affected by pollution.

So I joined Maruthi driving school for learning classes and half of the classes are done. But I am unable to judge the margins and make right and left turns. The instructors are also telling I am good at everything else like clutch and brake mechanism and changing gears etc but margin judgment, steering control i am lacking at.

I am utterly scared and worried that will I ever get to learn driving. I actually enjoy driving and drive my scooty very well even in high traffic areas. I have no problem with traffic on my scooty but when it comes to car i am getting scared.

Do you think I have some hope? Is it the same for everyone in the beginning? Will I learn completely in a month or two and be able to take my dd out?

We have a car and the instructor told me since you have a car and you are good at cluctch and brake try practicing left and right turns in your layout. Our layout is relatively empty with less traffic. Do you think that is wise?

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Driving a car is all about practice. The more you do it, the better you get at it. There really is no other way out. Practicing within your layout with less traffic seems like the way to go. Why don't you try taking the car out early in the mornings on the main streets before the work hour rush begins? Everyone goes through the same stages of worry and self-doubt when learning to drive. Keep at it. I am sure you will be back here in a few weeks wondering why you ever doubted yourself.

3. rohsiK

rohsiK Gold IL'ite

Driving is not about accelerating and clutch, its all about how you control the direction of the car . First get a good understanding of steering wheel dynamics and the intensity with which it changes the direction with a corresponding movement on the steering ,once you mastered that art , you would get an clear image in your mind about margins and turns(wheel direction), then you can drive any car without fear....
    Try to learn driving either in HPS(hydraulic power steering or if possible manual steering) vehicles , if you are learning on EPS ( it would be just like playing a video game) you won't get any feel...

1 person likes this.
  4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Hi op,

about margins:

you look around 10 to 15 feet forward from your car when u are driving, not exactly where your car is at that second, always look forward.

Second point, imagine you and your steering ,( even though you sit right side of the car while driving) in the middle of the lines of the road (if multi line road ), look forward and drive. Your margins while come perfect.

third point , I used to keep margin perfect by , coinciding one of the wipers screw and the roads line, while driving , let me if u have questions. It may look silly but it works

if margins are good , ur turning margins also come good.

how is ur parking coming?

1 person likes this.