A Word A Day!! Come Let's Learn

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by SRK, Jan 27, 2015.

1. SRK

SRK Bronze IL'ite

Hello to All who glance thru this thread,

Let me start with my story :)

I was in India from my childhood till 6 months back where i never had a chance to speak in English. School - very rare, College - Never, Office - very rare (only while interacting with other state ppl/clients)

And i need to stress on this, I never watched English movies a lot while i concentrate more on our regional languages. That's a big minus:thumbsdown I came to US few months back after when i really had interest to speak English with proper accent. My DH used to watch all upcoming movies almost every week.When he asked me to come with him for movies i was never interested since I haven't watched much. Also I used to wonder how ppl are watching Batman kinda movies when it is so unrealistic.Then i got used with the fantasy by slowly watching one Eng movie a day which helped me a lot in learning new words and how Americans interact with each other.

I started noticing and learning new words, Idioms and phrases by watching few English series and movies.
    When i started watching English series, I really learned a lot more. For every new word (which i nvr heard) i used to pause, then google search and relate it with the situation so that i can't 4get in future. This way i started learning.

For Ex: I nvr knew the last little finger is called as "Pinky finger" which i started noticing in serials and now i cud hear ppl saying it everywhere.

Ppl might think these are all small concerns but it does really matter to ppl who don't know this.

After started reading books I have got much more to learn.
    Now that I have updated all new words in xl sheet so that i can refresh whenever i need. Almost I have crossed tracking 400+ words which i nvr used in my life or nvr knew the meaning of those words.

Here in IL I could see most of the ladies are very fluent in English and it feels good to see the well-versed conversations.

So why can't we discuss a new word each day that we knew and share our knowl to our friends. It will be very useful not only to me but everybody who come across this thread. Whatever the word is don't ever think it is only u but others might know it already. Always feel free to share ur knowledge which will inturn cherish urs:thumbsup

Not only words u can share idioms, pronunciations too..Also you can share the sources from where you learnt. Thanks for your time hugsmiley

PIE IDIOMS: (Idioms using Pie)

1. If something is very easy we could say "It’s as easy as pie"
    2. If someone is very drunk we could call "He got pie eyes" or "pie-eyed"
    3. If someone is involved in lots of activities we could say "To have a finger in many pies"[TABLE="width: 243"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 243, align: left"]
    Source : BBC Learning English[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

7 people like this.

2. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

@SRK Sister

:welcome to IL family,

Thanks for the thread, Hope to be with you quite often and learn more, Learning does not have a full stop, there may be many things new or known, so will follow and share.

May Baba guide us all SAIRAM

1 person likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I like this thread SRK! I'd love to improve my English language skills as well. We loved English Matters, a very popular thread here that seems to have sadly become extinct :( I hope to see the same kind of participation with your thread!
    I can't think of a word now but will update any I find interesting.

1 person likes this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Op you could consider posting this on the English Matters thread. It might rekindle the discussion on one of the best threads on IL!

3 people like this.
  5. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

I bumped the EM thread!

It was undoubtedly one of the sparkling and best threads in the history of IL , but but second to "neurons" . Neurons is colorful, brilliant, bang-bang, explosive and what really matters — still active! notdonesmiley

2 people like this.
  6. SRK

SRK Bronze IL'ite

@SaiSakthi

Thanks for the welcome sissy!! I will probably continue in the other thread as @gauri03 and @Aria suggested..

2 people like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

SRK,

First things first, all I can think of when I see your user name is Shah Rukh Khan!! Same thing happened when Aria tagged you on EM thread yesterday. Thanks to her, I also came to know of this thread. But I have to confess that I am super happy with Laks and Gauris suggestion and will participate there. I already have a word that can matter to our EM thread. Ask @Aria, I do have a super soft corner for that thread and would be delighted to have more participation. I know I know, for her it is neurons and then EM hey but who is keeping tabs, as long as we are all learning.

Right now, I have to head out but will soon update EM thread as soon as I get back. Happy to find another ILite to whom English Matters! @Ansuya will come when she will :)

1 person likes this.
  8. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

@Srama Sister,

Yes I do agree, we miss Sister @Ansuya hope these @mentions kindles her thoughts about us and brings her IN soon.

Thanks to Sister @SRK for this thread, SAIRAM

1 person likes this.
  9. SRK

SRK Bronze IL'ite

@Srama

:rotfl SRK is just the abbreviation of my first and last name :) With ur super happiness we can rock the EM thread. Hoping to join EM soon. Bye for now :wave

10. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

SRK,

You don't have to subsume your thread into "English Matters", caring (ownership) for a thread provides not only flexibility to track and organise your goals and orientation but certain degree of commitment to the task. EM is an all-dancing-all-singing thread on language. You see, we were only waiting for the Messiah to resurrect the thread prodding new comers as "Are you the *ONE*".

Have you come across Anu Garg's AWAD ? Mind, the words are mix of literary , archaic, colloquial, slang, loan etc. You may leverage the sourced word & discuss it over here, like today's word " scabrous". Other feeds that I can think that publish "a word a day" are: 1#this, 2#this

Good initiative! Keep the spirit stoked with or without active participation from iLites. Don't forget to enable closed captions while watching television, impression of a word is stronger when you read and listen to it, nothing if not to identify the background music #yakety yak - the coasters#

1 person likes this.