Need help with education and career prospects

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by chennaiwoman, Dec 30, 2014.

1. chennaiwoman

chennaiwoman Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

My son is finishing his 10th this year in a cbse board and he wants to take up commerce group with economics as his 11th and 12 subjects. He says he wants to pursue a career in economics. What are the options after 12th for economics? WHich college offers specialized economics (anywhere in india)? Is there any website where i can look up things regarding academics and so on?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Chennaiwoman, Economic major gives you the flexibilty to move into any of the avenues such as political study, environmental study or financial study. A five year integrated MS.Economics is offered by two/three iits now while there are few iits that have the phd. in economics.

The delhi school of economics is there where you can do both a masters of business economics after an ug in economics. so is the indira gandhi institute of development research funded by RBI.

Symbosis school of economics also is good.

Madras school of Economics that gives you flexibility to do any of the above mentioned three studies related to economics.

Apart from this if you are looking at ug you can check out any of the arts colleges.

I also know that most tech insitutes offer economics as a part of the dual degree. example bits pilani.

iit kanpur and kharagpur i think has a five year integrated economics course. though the structure and the syllabbus followed differs a lot from the the regular arts colleges. here a student has to learn maths, physics, chemistry too. and the entry is through iit-jee only.

A few websites for ideas.
    Department of Economics, DSE | Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi (cut off is unbelievingly too high for this one)
    http://www.srcc.edu/ba-honours.html(the same. cutt off is too high)
    Symbiosis School of Economics

::Loyola College::
    Madras School of Economics (Post graduation courses after a ug in any college from chennai - Madras School of Economics)

I am sure this is more than enough to give you an idea. and all the best to your kiddo. if you have any more doubts you can post the query here and i will try my best to answer it.

note: See if you are getting a combination of subjects to do with economics. cbse has a lot of subjects at the 11 and 12 thought it depends on the school. i know there are schools that offer physics, chemistry,maths and psychology/economics/computer science..

6 people like this.
  3. chennaiwoman

chennaiwoman Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot Shanvy. Really appreciate the detailed reply and the effort you put in. I will pass on this info along to my son.

A small doubt...is it necessary to do science with eco or commerce sub like business studies and accounting with eco? I ask this because you mentioned about iits and pilani. thanks.

1 person likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

you are welcome chennaiwoman. i have a daughter who is in second year of college who did commerce/economics. so i had kept all options opened. had checked all this two years back.

it is not necessary to do science iwth eco. this information is from the digging and information i am colelcting for my son who is trying his luck in iit. these days many do mba and related stuff after their b.tech and b.e..some alternative has been come up from bits and iit too. thought bits dual degree has been there for many years.

economics with commerce, maths and buisiness studies give him the option of trying anything else that is more interesting by the time he complete his 12th. having maths gives him more room for options..

2 people like this.
  5. sumanrathi

sumanrathi IL Hall of Fame

@Shanvy
    Hi, Shanvy

I have a doubt MBA is really required for BE & B.Tech students ?

In India every one is doing MBA i personally felt they can do further special courses instead of MBA am I right ?

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@sumanrathi not at all necessary. and a mba in a elite institute carries a lot of weightage. have a niece who did her b.tech from the iit's and then her mba from xlri and is in a very good position. the institution counts.

and yes ms is the most common option.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Shanvy!

Congratulations on being nominated to FP for this thread by Aria!

Actually, it is but natural that an educated mind like @Aria will think of nominating this thread for this is so very useful and so informative about this branch of education.

You have given such a detailed account of where one can study economics and what its advantages are and what combinations can go well with it, all well researched and thought out. I wonder how the brain in your head is tuned up?!! You have so much information there and so many useful things all stored up in careful compartments, just ready to be drawn out and distributed if necessary!

It is that which is so impressive about this thread and also the generosity you show in wanting to help! So congratulations for that!

I hereby wish the best of luck to Chennaiwoman and her son!

L, Kamla

Indiandil likes this.
  8. Indiandil

Indiandil New IL'ite

@Shanvy
    @Kamla : Very true.. Shanvy is very informative. how the brain in your head is tuned up? I really want to know this Shanvy!.. :D