Let's Fire Up Those Neurons!

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

The only kindle edition for "Collected Stories (Penguin Modern Classics)" is 628 pages.
    And I promised myself that GRRM & his charted Westoros was the last 500+ pages book I ever lay my hands on. I'll fetch "Selected stories" from my library this weekend.

Most of the times I don't know what you talk Soka and the few times I titter or nod is not to make a fool of me in public forum. These days I'm so unabashed that I admit never heard till 2 min back.

2. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Definitely Knausgaard has to wait

"This mammoth work of autobiography—presently running at three five-hundred-page volumes with three more still to be translated from his native Norwegian"

I've just finished "The Master and Margarita", will be on light diet with Plautus , Terence for rest of the week.

3. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Hmmm, you're not a 'Heautontimorumenos' I see! :rotfl

Well, as the title says, they are short stories - you don't have to read all of them in sequence. Just dip in when the mood strikes you!

4. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

I've just downloaded eBook from openlibrary and reading "Gimpel The Fool" translated by Saul Bellow. To be frank, I've pending books categorized as "must-read" , "have-to-read", "can't-die-before-you-read" downloads in kindle that I've not even seen the frontispiece. And I've not even categorized downloads of Kurt Vonnegut , Toole, Germaine Greer. So I am rationing and economizing my downloads rather than dump gaily :cry:

Have I tried "wishlist"? Where does a woman walk into a shoe store to buy insoles and not walk away with 3 pairs of wedges. Shopping habits shoes, robes, barrette or books remain the same for women.

Nice teaser , eh :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  5. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Quite a simple and reflective read! Does the story resonate with me , dunno Soka I'm enthralled more by Calvino's magical science than by Singer's faithful mysticism.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  6. sokanasanah

Oh, I was just making fun of the 'Deep Thinker' motif -- didn't expect you to rush off in pursuit of Karl!

7. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Did not expect, did not expect, did not expect me to rush off (snorting) , what did you expect from 90 pages of my track record here. A skip at the curios you whip with a tinto in hand, tomorrow a less hazy day, eh? Dandelions like Derridas are fun chasing when they are flitting (I don't understand, I don't get it , one more read perhaps)

8. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Sorry Soka, I think I confused myself and you as well.

Labyrinths is "Selected stories" and IBS is "Collected stories" (physical and electronic version, no abridged "Selected" edition). Placed the order for both the books in local library to collect hopefully next week.

View attachment 213760

9. sokanasanah

Not quite, I have 'Labyrinths' on my shelves, so I got what you meant.:)

10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Can someone tell me if Gimpel the fool is that story of Elka and Gimpel? I wonder if my memory still serves good.