Let's Fire Up Those Neurons!

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

I think you cracked it!

2. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Giveaway version before the answer is revealed tomorrow

Who is he?

A very capable man!
    Galfridian nemesis,
    From the family of am-Φ-bovine.
    Green, Blue, Brown - what is in a color?
    He can trim, cut, slice a lot to your taste even when you are glancing at him.

Punctuated rules of grammar in tudor turf
    Redefined the romance with his edwardian hands,
    Teaching little Johnny not to snip too deep-p
    The sher borne, hares, bo stowed in the woods that this man created will startle you!

1 person likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

More like carefully picked the clues apart, then planted the keywords in Google...

4. deepslikes

deepslikes Platinum IL'ite

I only got a single clue, in the simplified version - the Arthurian reference.. but was able to google it.

5. Gauri03

Now that we've frightened away our readership with Borges, Fermat and Edwardian trimmers, it's time to lure them back!

Let's get nostalgic! Remember the days when TV equaled Doordarshan, and the early days of cable, when reruns of old American TV series on Star Plus were THE thing to watch? Each audio clip linked below is the title tune of a TV series from the 80's or the 90's. Name 'em.

Clip 1
    Clip 2
    Clip 3
    Clip 4
    Clip 5
    Clip 6
    Clip 7
    Clip 8
    Clip 9
    Clip 10

2 people like this.
  6. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Fix the trestle, pin the paper board, uncap the marker. Okay, so looking at the Venn diagram

Union of all the participants = 9
    Intersection of active participants = 3
    Visiting participants = 6
    Complement of universal set members who have no idea what we twaddle here = ~1L

The stats are appalling! (Sipping mint tea). Gauri hope you don't mind 6 week review of opus here.

Lets analyze.

Where is it taking place

IL is predominantly a site where people come for hellium(ish) fun or uranium(ic) problems. We are those wobbly dits that don't fit in the table anywhere! Who will visit the oasis when the venting well is next door for weary travellers? We are doing the right thing in the wrong forum or wrong thing in the right forum or flip and invert. Is E&D too remote a bystreet to be stepped into? Moving on ...

What is taking place

Rustling the pages of this thread, hmm, well, would this thread be listed as demotic or fringe quizzing if it were to be chartered. The pictorial personalities may be unrecognizable but the accompanying textual clues , atleast in some of puzzles have been brilliantly crafted which conveys the message loud and clear that this thread is not problem solving exercise but problem flexing techniques with no apriori encyclopaedic knowledge

Is the reversal text scaring away people that we are communicating
    [*] in some abstruse Cyrillic script ? How do we make the thread more accommodating and approachable? Is the content, or the style (purportedly an image identification quiz) the real problem?

Who are the takers?

Did we unwillfully encourage any toffish clan?
    Did we imprudently violated the cardinal rule of quizzing (don't press the buzzer if you know the answer)?
    Have we been unwelcoming to the new entrants who disappear after 2nd post?

(turn the page)

The Pie diagram drawn with distribution of contributing factors

• Place: 80% (key factor)
    • Event: 10% (steadily improving with every puzzle on presentation technique)
    • Active members: 10% (blimey ! are we the least popular ones in the forum, I've only one "friend" in my contacts)

Thoughts?

[*] Good that we did not implement my proposal of invisible ink or people will think we are communing here and scare the last few.

1 person likes this.
  7. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Clip 5 was tantalizing, I had it, lost it, found it, listened and confirmed no, it is not Johnny Quest. thinkingsmiley

My score : Clip 10, Clip 7, Clip 6 (3/10)

8. Gauri03

Loved your analysis! I almost snorted some coffee on my monitor. :rotflTo use the average US high school as an analogy, the rel forum is where the popular kids of Indusladies High hangout. E&PG is nerd central, and this thread is where those who weren't invited to prom spend their time, arguing whether the new Star Trek movies violate canon, and how they didn't want to go the prom anyway!

PS: As you can see from my signature, I've taken to the online equivalent of sign twirling just to get someone to drop by.

1 person likes this.
  9. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Oh my my! What is wrong with my mind, I stepped out of the house, was walking in the aisle, took few steps and rushed back to type this post.

How did I not remember clip#5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the red Reebok T did assist)

Score: 4/10

1 person likes this.
  10. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

You made me so nostalgic that I uploaded 3 of my favourite programs that redefined my childhood.

Theme3
    Theme2
    Theme1

(thanks for the site) :)

1 person likes this.