Let's Fire Up Those Neurons!

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 23, 2014.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I'm glad that many found the puzzle informative. @parineetha got the clue about Tiruvalluvar day but was wondering about Jan.13 which is Bhoghi. Gauri and Rihanas explanation cleared it.

@Rihana
    agree with what Sokanasanah says. The beauty of the language is lost in translation. But at least you could enjoy the essence/values found in them.

I found these with reasonable translation Thirukkural, Thiruvalluvar, Thirukural,, Thirukural in Tamil, English and Transliteration. I believe there was a discussion group on IL too in the same topic. haven't had time to look into that. BTW my mother tongue is not Tamil :)

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Stylish royals mother or daughter still confused :confused2:

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

I have in my library a book written by a former CEO of a public company in India of the management principles derived from Thirukkural. Even though it is not a direct translation of what is intended by Thiruvalluvar, it is amazing to know so many management philosophies are buried in that rich literature. This book only has select Thirukkurals but amazing link to various management principles.

The book name: New age management philosophy from ancient Indian wisdom

Author: V.Srinivasan, former CEO of 3i-Infotech

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Could the magazine be a clue?

2 people like this.
  5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I do not know this book, although I have come across "Bhagavad-Gita For Executives" (!). :wink:
    I was referring more to the literary rather than aphoristic value of the few translations that I do know.

6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Got it. still unable to link the Genral though found out who he was thanks to Butterflyices clue

1 person likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Honestly, more you wait, easier it becomes as neurites starts giving too many clues. If you really want to try it out on your own, you may have to copy the puzzle, print and stare at it until you get the answer.

8. Viswamitra

@Gauri03,

I suggest an orientation program for newbies about how to give clues. There is enough new neurites to justify this effort. Perhaps, a collection of 4-5 puzzle and the clues given for them assembled together could be a good start.

All need not be done by one person. The puzzle posters can repost their puzzle along with clues each one of them enjoyed reading.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  9. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes I think including all the hints and clues in the answers and giving a brief explanation/commentary on them should give people a good enough idea of how it's done. I think most people do get the hang of it after one or two puzzles.

10. Viswamitra

Here is a list of sample clues.

Puzzle #2397

Question: Who is this person with connection to India?

Answer:

[​IMG] Attached Thumbnails [​IMG]

The person is Margaret Elizabeth Noble affectionately known in the spiritual circle as sister Nivedita. She is a disciple of Swami Vivekananda and was part of the Ramakrishna Mission with a very special affectionate relationship with Sarada Devi.

Picture clues:

1) Nobel medal is indicative of her last name Noble

2) Margaret Thatcher's photo to indicate her first name

3) Toddler is Queen Elizabeth to indicate her middle name. If I had included her present photo, it would have become a much easier puzzle.

4) Irish flag is to indicate her place of birth

5) Howrah bridge is to indicate Calcutta, the first place she landed before living in India

6) Darjeeling is the place where she died.

Clues given were:

Quiet a dedicated connection - by Deepslikes - to indicate that she dedicated her life for the well-being of the people.

Talked about my school and there goes the answer - Vaidehi71 - to indicate that she is connected with Ramakrishna Mission.

Went to her Guru's School ....was just talking about it few hours ago. Vaidehi71 - Reiterating that she is connected to Ramakrishna Mission.

Viswa

4 people like this.