Spoken English: Need help to improve

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by vidya7207, Apr 23, 2008.

1. vidya7207

vidya7207 New IL'ite

Hi all,

I am new to this website ... I am looking for help from IL .
    I came here USA in dec 2007.& I feel like I am not good in spoken english.I can write good english (with correct grammer),but cant speak correct english.While speaking wth others I think abt gramatical mistakes ...& finally I spoke with them in very poor english ,with lots of gramatical mistakes.I need to improve ..is there r any way to improve my spoken english.
    thanks in advance

2. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Vidya:

The more you speak the more you learn to speak, so use every opportunity to speak and don't be apprenhensive about mistakes.

Also, listen to radio, watch the news channels and you will benefit as far as the accent and grammar is concerned.

I'm sure you will get there. Be patient.

All the best.

Sindhu

3. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

I agree with sindhurao that practice is the key to success.My husband gives training for conversational English, and he always recommends for improving in grammatical aspect and fluency,
    1.reading the newspapers, books or any good material even online regularly,
    2.listening to BBC News...daily
    3.speak whenever the opportunity arises in English only, even though with grammatical mistakes.

By continuously doing these, over a period of time, you shed all your fears and gain confidence.The mistakes will disappear.Never lose heart,
    Best of luck:2thumbsup:

4. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Kalupatti and Sindhurao have already answered your question.
    Those are seen as the most effective way to get started. Let's see one by one

1. How to read better and Faster by Norman Lewis helped me greatly imrpove the speed. I remember, experts suggest you read a book a day. Sounds like a tall order, but targeting this make you very confident. Do not miss the newspapers like sindhu and kalupatti say. Some newspapers I ll recommend is The Hindu, Newyork Times, Economic Times etc. Information + Reading skills improvement.

2. Watching news. If your tv has the CAPTIONS button set, you can see the text as they speak. There are so many funny English dramas that you can see. You can even hire the DVDs. Do not forget to watch news on Tv too. Those are authorized pronunciation.

3. Watch English movies. I's fun and learning. Slowly switch off teh caption button and in 3-4 months, you ll be much better.

4. Take opportunity to talk. Ask a close friend to correct later if you went wrong somewhere. They are usually glad to help.

A bad English distracts people. When you want to put a point across, your English might surprise some people.

So building on this skill is worth it. Do all the steps as not a chore, but a past time, enjoy them.

Above everything, feel confident when you speak. Write and read more.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  5. nisha12

nisha12 New IL'ite

hi vidya i m nisha soni a housewife and a mother of a 5 month old babay boy.i m also new here and i m facing the same problem .becoz my medium is hindi.so its very difficult for me to conversation in english i also wann find a answer in this forum.i find a communite who help me to improve my english.any way good luck bye

6. padmasenthils

padmasenthils Junior IL'ite

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012