How to find my career interest?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by prachii, Dec 28, 2011.

1. prachii

prachii New IL'ite

Hello all!

For +2, I took Math, Physics and Chemistry although I was terrified of all three subjects (because I really didn't know what I wanted to study and I even didn't know many other choices except doing economics, history, etc which were not interesting to me either). I fared very well (always in top 3 positions in class) mainly because of mugging up the concepts and due to the special attention given by teachers (once in the first year, I topped my class so became teachers' favorite student). So, end of +2 with flying colors but still no idea about what I was interested in.

Like many of my classmates, I joined engineering (still can't find a reason why I chose to?) Studies-wise, engineering was hell. I couldn't get most of the subjects into my head. Somehow, I managed to pass with average percentage.

Then, I knew that I was not good in my engineering subjects so i wouldn't get a proper job that will satisfy me. so, I chose to do higher studies in one of my engineering subject which interested me better than others. Again a wrong decision, masters studies was very tough. Finally, managed to finish it and landed in a well-paying job. The monthly pay-check was good but everyday work soon turned out to be boring, complicated and sometimes left me returning back to basics. For 2.5 years, I am still doing the job but mechanically. There is no satisfaction or atleast I don't even look forward to going to office.

When I sit back and try to understand my interests, I find a few. Some of them are English literature (I used to like it from school itself), writing (never wrote anything public except this website posts), planning and organizing (read somewhere about it being a career), beauty and hair dressing.

I don't know if any of these could be a career for me. I don't understand how to decide. Even if I decide on one of them, I don't know how to make my parents and family understand my decision. My parents already spent a lot of money on my education, so I feel I am betraying them. But, when I made all those wrong choices (engineering, masters), I didn't know what I wanted or what other options I could do. Plus, my parents wanted me to be a lecturer, do a PhD, etc but I didn't. So, again that I am going against them. Also, parents are okay if I have to stop working due to marriage and kids but I don't know how they'll take it if I say I want to change my career path. Sometimes, I get so vexed up at my job that I feel like quitting and sitting at home. But, I can't do that. I need a job and money to make me feel assured and independent.

So friends, could you please help me. Should I continue with my current job or should I try my hand at other fields? How to convince family?

Thanks for your time.

2. shinara

shinara Platinum IL'ite

Hi Prachi,

I could find many of similarities between us. I took Biology, Maths, Physics,Chemistry in Hr.Sec.Then my degree was on Computer Application as my dads wish, which i have never imagined in my life. After my degree i wanted to work. Then i wanted to do Master deg in Multimedia/Interior Designing/MBA. But my father said cross major will be a problem for Govt Lecturer Job. I had no option. and now am doing my MCA.

Actually i am interested in Fashion Designing, Interior Designing, Literature, Music.

I know my father will never let me to work in other fields. So i made a new path for myself..

I have started a small scale business in fashion designing. i.e i use to make and sell fashion jewels for 200 and 300 rs. I am not doing it for profit. I am satisfied.

Then i put all my stories and poems in net , now i have many fans.

So,dear, i cant give you a right solution but do something for your satisfaction and love your present job for your parents.

3. prachii

prachii New IL'ite

Hi Shinara,

Surprising to know that most of our situations match! But you have done a good job in satisfying yourself with doing things you like. I feel I should do that too but on week days work takes up maximum time and sometimes I bring work for the weekend as well so it literally drains me out to do something else other than sleep. And my dear, I have been trying to love/like my job, trying to motivate myself to work better and like my office, boss and colleagues. Like any other, boss is demanding and shockingly, colleagues are unfriendly making life difficult. So, you can imagine how I hate it. One lucky thing is I have my own room, so I close the door and work, when bored, I browse the internet. This is the only plus point I find at work. Probably, I should learn to manage my time more effectively to include activities I like.

Thanks for your reply Shinara!

4. shinara

shinara Platinum IL'ite

Hi dear,

and one more similarity again. I too hate my environment. My roommate(she is my classmate too!:-() is the only girl i have ever hated in my life. What to do? I spending all my 24hrs with her. In this case u seem lucky coz u have separate room. :)

5. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Its the case with many of us I guess. By the time we realize our true interests we might have made many wrong choices in education/career. Its still not late, now that you are working you can sort of financially support your pursuits. It is very good to pursue your interests / passions irrespective of your age/situation. It might all look tougher, but that's where it makes a difference whether what u feel is just a wishful thinking or a true passion. Gather all possible information/career choices/courses etc and try to attempt one/any of it. See how you r faring. Who knows may be it can work out best and give u the real satisfaction in your career life. People may not understand us right away all the time, but eventually they will if you seem happier with your choices. Good Luck.