phd computerscience

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by abi445, Aug 4, 2011.

1. abi445

abi445 Silver IL'ite

Hai friends,
    Is Anybody here completed phd computerscience?There is saying that if we join phd, our guide is very important for all our articles, books.,etc approvals and publishing. Some guides never give those approvals within academic years and also they just made us to wait for long period for approvals.Is it true so?
    I'm going to join my phd by dec 2011. I'm searching for guide for doing my phd. My interest is datamining, bio-informatics.
    If anybody knows about good guide in computerscience please suggest me.

pls help my carrier
    :thumbsup

2. devapriya

devapriya IL Hall of Fame

Dear Abi,

I am not so clear about the details you need! But i ask some pH.D students and try to help you sure!

Wait till Tuesday for me to enter here again!

3. abi445

abi445 Silver IL'ite

Thank u very much priya.........
    If i want to complete Phd, under my guide i have to go through and publish some articles in International Journals reg my topics and also have to publish books related to my research where tons of work is needed. Have to move for International conferences and must have seminar about my research. These are the part of work in pursuing phd, Like this the list goes on, what I need here is Guide, for doing all these Guide is important.
    Guide must have completed phd cs with atleast 3 yrs of exp after phd, that too from my subject of DATA MINING in his/her research completed.
    One of my friend pursuing phd, some of her finest works are named and published only by her guide name, where she is unable to raise a question. Not all, Some of the guides are behaving like this........what to do? U knw, apart from research choosing of good guide is big task for researchers........Anyway she applied for change of guide that too takes many process and the next approached guide is raising a question of y and what for u changing guide and she now totally gets irritated in doing further..............

Awaiting for ur reply da........

4. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Hai abhi....

Me too in idea of doing phd in cse in future...in which university u opt to do ur phd work...i heard some deemed universities will provide guides wrt to ur areas of intrest after qualifying the phd exam for that academic...me also intrested in datamining and Information retrieval system (IRS)...phd need detailed study of a particular problem...it definetly need a guide...but most of them will leave whole thing to the student only....doing research..analysis of prob...soln design...implementation...testing...documentation....and also publishing of paper plays major role not only in phd but also in mtech too...i think u may exp in mtech for publishing ur proj paper...In phd we have to opt for international conferences...journals...for the updates regarding conferences...u can check this

Academic conferences worldwide - Conference Alerts

Hope this is useful...pls update me too reg phd details...
    Hey have u written NET exam in cse..if soo pls guide me....

thanks
    sravani

5. abi445

abi445 Silver IL'ite

Hai sravani,
    Welcome for doing phd pa. Happy to hear in interest of Data mining(we wil discuss about this later).Thanks for ur link, but i already subscribed for conference alert. Having pg paper published is not enough for phd, becoz there in pg approval of our guide is enough, here for publishing first we have to attend for International Conference where the board of commitee members must satisfy with our seminar, have to answer their questions, if needed we have to rework that problem again.
    What u said is right, leaving all problems to students is one type of guides, publishing students papers with their names is another type, we have to chose the best. That too how can, i don't know, anyway i'm searching with the help of my friendz.
    Sure I will tel u details reg guide and further works of phd.Often check this thread ma........

Yes pa, i applied for NET and prepared, unfortunately unable to attend the exam due to some important meeting of my working institution..........I'm yet to write in the next session.
    I wil upload old question papers of NET computer science and discuss it further about it.........

6. devapriya

devapriya IL Hall of Fame

Hi Abi,

Sorry for the delay dear.

I collected some details you need...First of all,for doing ph.d guide is soooo important as all are saying.As you heard it is true that some guide make students to wait for their approval! If you choose correctly, then doing ph.d is not at all a matter.

Lecturers can do ph.d easily than other employees since they could take the required materials (Books) from their college library itself.....
    But other employees should fully dependent on guide for their materials.

If you are a lecturer you can divide your project into different phases and can give it to your college students as their final year project.

Don't allow your guide to publish your paper in their name....Some guides will force you to do so. It is better if you choose some of your staffs as your guide.

If you are going to do ph.d in particular Govt.university, then you can ask that university staffs themselves to be your guide. Because Govt.University staffs mostly would not force you for anything.

Do you need any other details da? I asked this from my staff.
    If you need any further details let me know it pls!

7. abi445

abi445 Silver IL'ite

Thank you da for ur kind information. U are right, doing phd is not a matter if we got the right guide. But my institution prof. are already booked for 2 yrs pa, since there is limitation for them as to guide. Anyway as u said, i can try for government univ staffs, but there's also a long queue........ i think.
    I wil reach u later pa for any information further...........

8. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

Unless u are interested to work as a professor theres no use in pursuing Phd in computers that too in india ( u can pursue Phd either full time or part time).Yes guide plays in imp role. Nowadays in india phd has become more of politics than research.I advice u to better choose female professor as ur guide bcz of the some stupid things and favors going on in academic world at Phd level.(U might have read abt them on Indus ladies forums and many newspapers abt things happened in Tamilanadu in the past )

9. abi445

abi445 Silver IL'ite

Yes Nettem, what u are coming to say is absolutely right pa........When i opt for doing Phd, I thought of only to chose female guide, since my maa feels I'm safety. At the same time we cannot say all male guides are similar, there suppose to be good guides. That's what I'm searching..............
    Anyway, thank you very much for sharing here and made me alert.............
    Even our research work is not a headache, we can do it with our interest of areas. But choosing guide is a very big task than research...........

10. Nettem

Nettem New IL'ite

dont expect great challenging research work in india...