July 2009 mommies

Discussion in 'Due Date Clubs' started by Sravanthi28, Nov 25, 2008.

1. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Harini,Nidhi and Pearl,
    For your cold, try doing steam inhalation 2-3 times a day...Also put a 1/4 tsp of turmeric in 1/4 cup of warm milk and drink...My Grandma used to tell this and it used to work wonders for me when I was a child....
    I had some chest congestion few days back and my OB said I can use "Claritin"...Though I did not use it, you might want to check with your OB...

Pearl - For your heartburn and constipation - Please drink atleast 2 ltrs of water every day and eat lots of fruits to avoid constipation...You can also try drinking prune juice...Prunes help in relieving constipation...But I don't remember the ingredients...so just check the label before you buy...

Hope you all get relief from the cold very soon!

2. pearl14

pearl14 New IL'ite

Thanks Mridusudha, I'll try to follow the remedies you've given. But do we get prune juice in normal grocery stores? I've never seen that so far..

Pearl

3. Harini28

Harini28 Senior IL'ite

Thanks for ur quick tips mridusudha... Though i have been having steaming every day, i have'nt much taken turmeric with milk as u said..will do that too and see.... i would be glad if this cold disappears within a day or two :hide:becoz i want to enjoy the pregnancy:spin...:)

Pearl, i too started having constipation and my DH says water is the only thing which makes wonders....so i have started water therapy for it to subside...and for heartburn, i chew just a half teaspoon of cumin seeds till it releases its juice and swallow it without water for 10 mnts..I think , indigestion at this time triggers heartburn and cumin is the best bet for it....
    Hope everybody is doing fine ...
    keep in touch
    Oh Happy Pongal to all of ya:party

4. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Pearl,
    You might not find Prune juice in Walmart...Last time I bought it from an organic store...I think you will find it in any organic store..But make sure you check the ingredients before you buy...And if it is safe don't drink a whole glass of it...That will cause diarrhea...You just need to take only 1/4 glass of it...Atleast that's what I did in the past...

And like Harini said, water helps a lot...Drink 2 glasses of water first thing in the morning and thereafter atleast 2 ltrs during the day...Increase the water quantity and see and of course eating fruits helps a lot...eat strawberries, bananas and oranges...

Hopefully you will find relief soon!

5. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Oh..One more thing...For all ladies who have constipation...Don't put force when you have a bowel movement....Putting force near the pelvis area might cause heamorrhoids!!!. So go only when you have to...

6. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi pearl,
    yeah as Sudha suggested Prune Juice is the best thing to take during pregnancy.
    But eat a lot of salad greens.......lots of frest fruits....certain veggies in raw form.....like beet root....beans....carrot....etc, it will help both in constipation and heart burn.
    If possible cut down your rice intake and start taking chappathis made with whole wheat not the refined one......
    In breakfast, take whole grain cereals......barley....etc.....it will do wonders.....
    For heartburn releif, please reduce any food that causes heartburn, like too much oil......onion.....garlic......cabbage......broccoli......etc....
    Eat at least one apple each day.....two will be great........
    Take care.

7. rashi2008

rashi2008 New IL'ite

Hi All,

Welcome Nidhi and Harini to this forum .. and I really hope u get relief from ur cold, constipation etc because there r some really gud advices these ladies are giving here .. I also had constipation in my entire 2nd and 3rd month .. and as meeta suggested i also stop eating raw onions and putting garlic and too much spices in the food and it really helped .. also as everybody is saying drink lots of water .. walking also helped me a lot .. so u cud try these few things and see if anything helps ..

now i have a question ladies .. i am not able to eat any pulses/lentils .. they give me a lot of gas for the whole day .. so i m not taking any .. but since protien is necessary .. i do take tofu , nutrela nuggets sometimes .. but could anybody suggest what other options i have for daily requirements .. though my OB says that it doesnt matter because its in ur prenatal also .. but i m not satisfied .. so any advice plz. ..

and does anybody know if you can take peanuts or not .. because as soon as my M-in-L heard that i m pregnant she stopped me from eating peanuts since they are considered hot .. and i havent taken them in my first trimester .. but i have read somewhere that u shud take nuts like peanuts,almonds,cashew etc .. but she has stopped me from taking anything of this kind .. now that my 1st tri. is complete i again asked her but she said NO .. can anybody suggest if I can take them now in moderate quantity like once or twice a week or not ..

take care ladies
    HAPPY LOHRI !!

8. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Hello Rashi,
    My OB always says to eat Peanut butter..So I guess even peanuts are o.k....All nuts are good sources of protein...Also include Walnuts in your diet..They have high levels of protein and also high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids...I eat a peanut butter sandwich almost everyday and few walnuts...
    As far as lentils - Avoid chick peas and kidney beans...they do cause gas...Instead eat regular toor dal and moong dal....Also eat dal for lunch and not for dinner...that way dal gets digested during the day...Also drink lots of water to avoid gas and constipation...

Hope this helps!

9. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Rashi,
    As Sudha has already given reply to your queries, you will be benefitted from that.
    All kinds of nuts are good if taken in moderate quantity like handful of peanuts, 5-6 cashews/walnuts/pecans etc....but not more than this as they are high in fat content from which you are not going to be benefitted much and its always good to avoid much oil in your dietary intake.
    About pulses, as the basic component in these are amino acids, you are most likely have gas/indigestion/heart burn if you take excess of these. You can make thin soup from these pulse mix and have that in the morning in your breakfast. As you have to work all day long, I'm sure everything will be digested by the end of the day.
    Not only these pulses are good source of protein, but their raw sprouts (can also be taken in salads) will help you to get your daily fiber quota.
    So, not taking anything at all or taking anything excess is a no no for everyone, not only in case of pregnancy.
    Try taking everything in moderation but please do avoid colocassia, water spinach....like things as these can cause severe acidity and in some cases allergy too......
    Thank you and take care you all pretty would-be-moms.......

10. nidhi209

nidhi209 New IL'ite

Hello every one,
    Pearl hope you are fine now.
    As Sudha suggested for cold i also tried trumeric and honey in milk/ ginger and honey also.
    First think i do when i get up is take steam. it's really works.
    I started costipation from last 3 days. First time in my life i'm facing this.
    prune Juice???????? i don't think i will get it here, as the language is dutch and one can't undersand the ingreadents as they all spell in dutch.

take care

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009