Epidural during Labor

Discussion in 'Due Date Clubs' started by keerthi88, Jul 18, 2015.

1. keerthi88

keerthi88 Silver IL'ite

Hi Dear ILites,

I am sure that many of you would have opted to get an epidural administered during labor. I am considering epidural during my labor, as the common views say that it made the birthing experience more enjoyable and you could experience the baby coming into the world, without having to be distracted by pain or anxiety.

If you have experience with Epidural, please share it here so Moms-to-be looking for answers will feel much more comfortable.

I am looking forward to your stories :)

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

With the first delivery, I refused it for almost 8 hours till doc said take it at least now or c-section. With the second one, I was a fan. I decided on epidural when the stick turned pink. :)

My advice: don't listen to people who say epidural is bad or boast about their non-epidural heroine-type superwoman delivery. Let the epidural-or-not decision be made by you, your doctor and your husband.

Next- sometimes, there is no time for epidural. Be prepared for the unexpected.

When the anesthesiologist says 'relax' before starting the administration, really relax. It is actually a little scary to contemplate a needle entering the spinal area (?), but relax.

3 people like this.
  3. keerthi88

keerthi88 Silver IL'ite

Dear Rihana,

Thank you very much for the encouraging words, I am almost completing my first trimester and a lot of people are giving me a lot of suggestions both positive and negative. You are the first person to give me a practical feedback, most importantly, this is what i wannd to hear.. Realistic and non heroic - i didnot mind that :D.

Yeah the needle poking at my spine is the most bizzare thought thought running in my mind when i think of an epidural. People also say it is not as bad, but i hate needles. But hey, thank you so much, you have been there and done that. Your have no idea how soothing it is to hear from you :)

1 person likes this.
  4. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

I had epidural three times. The first one was the best because I was in so much pain for so long that when they put the epidural, it felt like a cold ice pack going down my back. My second one came early and the minute I got in the hospital, I was demanding epidural but hospital made me wait for like an hour or so, I can't remember exactly but I was already screaming in pain. Third one was a scheduled C-section, the first two were emergency C-section.

5. keerthi88

keerthi88 Silver IL'ite

@momsky :D you must be one strong lady that you went through all of these thrice already :p So far along, i have had my thoughts so narrow that i never thought about c-section with epidural. Good that you pitched in to bring that topic in :) Thanks for coming in here to share your experiences. Nice meeting you here! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

I wish I was that strong, it was unbearable for me that I ripped my husband's shirt in 1st and 2nd pregnancies... looking back, all the pain made it very memorable and epidural/c-section felt so good... for my 3rd one, i never felt any pain and made me sort of claustrophobic afterwards....

1 person likes this.
  7. Lavanya30

Lavanya30 Silver IL'ite

I almost had 20 hours of labor, and out of which 6 hours was without epidural, From my experience I would say it is lot more easier with epidural., I could enjoy holding my baby for the first time without experiencing too much of pain.

1 person likes this.
  8. yukthasri

yukthasri Bronze IL'ite

Epidural helps in relieving you from pain and it is lot easier.

1 person likes this.
  9. Denni

Denni Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

I refused epidural when my contractions were still mild not knowing how intense the pain is going to be. My doctor kept pestering me to have epidural but I said no. Well my labour lasted almost 15 hours , the last 10 hours were excruciating pain!!! So.... I agreed.

I was in lot of pain when the anesthesiologist was administrating the injection. You need to sit still and no movements allowed , even the slightest movement may cause damage to the spine. But being in lot of pain, I jerked when the young anesthesiologist dude injected me. He screamed and told me to sit still or become paralysed! I felt like punching his face ...if he could only feel my contraction pain!

Soon, I felt relaxed and the pain was not as intense as before although I still had some pain. They waited for 3 hours before I was fully dilated. Ok now the negative part, I couldn't push as I did not feel the baby's position. I felt nothing...it was so numb. I tried and tried but the baby wasn't coming out. My baby's heart beat begun to drop and doctors were talking about C section. But my Doc wanted to try vacuum. He tried and my boy came out on the second try. Phewwww...that was so hard!!!

The best thing about epidural was, I didn't feel a thing when I was getting stitched :rotfl. My friends told me, they jumped and screamed in pain when they were getting stitched. I didn't feel a thing!

I didn't have any back pain due to the epidural. Its been 10 years now, I have had no pain associated with epidural.

Everyone has their own experiences. Epidural isn't bad, it saves you a lot pain.

2 people like this.
  10. EagerMom

EagerMom Gold IL'ite

This kinda post with real-time experienced women sharing their views is something what I have been looking for. I had my own set of doubts on why women dont go with epi where it will make your entire delivery process so stress free & painless and you could enjoy every moment of your little one arriving.

My sister had an epidural for her normal delivery. But she has back pain on & off post her delivery (Its been 10 yrs that she has delivered). Dont know if that's coz of the epi or otherwise.

1 person likes this.