North-east girls in Delhi -VULNERABLE- Why???

Discussion in 'Delhi' started by gunjanasaikia25, Oct 27, 2009.

1. gunjanasaikia25

gunjanasaikia25 New IL'ite

Hello friends,

It has been quite long since the North-eastern Community has been crying foul about the Delhi citizens and Police discrimination against those belonging to the North-eastern states of India - Assam, Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Mizoram, Tripura, Meghalaya and even Sikkim.

Specially North-east girls in Delhi, who come here for higher education and job opportunity are extremely unsafe and vulnerable in India's capital city. Today's incident of a 19 yr-old Naga girls being killed by a IIT student in Munirka reiterates the danger that looms over our girls.

Can we expect a safe living and equal justice from Delhi?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

It is very sad that such incidents happen. Criminals and bad characters often target girls from the North East because they dress differently.
    I think with time such problems will disappear.The media especially the press has in recent times highlighted such deviant behaviour and stressed on the need for assimilation. I believe recently even the Delhi Police was told to be sensitive to the needs of people belonging to the North East.
    Lets hope things turn better.

3. NabanitaS

NabanitaS New IL'ite

Hi Sushma, I strongly object to what you have said. What do you mean by saying they dress differently? And what do you mean by 'Criminals and bad characters'

What about the recent incident where school boys were arrested for molesting a Mass. Comm student from Arunachal Pradesh and victim was asked to go to the school and identify her molesters. If these schoolboys are 'criminals' how come they are in school.

If you haven't read, here's the excerpt from NDTV.com

Don't Delhiites refer to the North-east people as CHINKY - I guess everyone does...Criminals or not.... Don' t they?

Sushma, there is nothing personal against you. What you have said is what the society in general (in Delhi) thinks.......When can Delhi provide a safe haven for women..leave alone North-east girls?

Nabanita

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  4. PreetiSandhu01

PreetiSandhu01 New IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I guess this is a sensitive issue and my heart goes out the family of the young girl who became the victim of atrocities of a 'devil scholar'. I agree our civil society, our police and even the media should work towards sanitizing the crumbling framework of Delhi,where there is so much intolerance and insensitivity.

Just take the example, of this recent incident in Munirka, there was so much hue and cry over the topic with all the TV channels cashing on the sentiments of the dead and the affected. Come next day...did you hear again from the channels? NO...because they found another scoop...yes I say scoop because if their job is to reveal a story, shouldn't they pursue it...even if not make it a headline?

And, our society can only sit and watch saying "as it has not happened to me and my family, why should I poke my nose"; without the thought that this 'devils' are on the prowl and the next target may be YOU.

Isn't it time, we take the small step of expressing our solidarity to all the students from north-east or any other part of India and make them feel comfortable and safe in Delhi?And what better medium than INDUSLADIES.COM which helps us reach to people and communities in every part of India and the world.

Please share your opinion.

Rgds,
    Preeti

<input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

5. gunjanasaikia25

gunjanasaikia25 New IL'ite

Thank you everyone who posted their opinion here. I can see my forum friends are not very interested in discussing this topic. :roll:

Well, for all those who are keeping a track on this issue..here is the latest update - an excerpt from DNA, dated November 4, 2009.

Do you think things will improve from here. Give your suggestions.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

6. MayuriBordoloi

MayuriBordoloi New IL'ite

Sad indeed....hope people become more tolerant towards other communities and enjoy the diverse cultures of India. I feel there should be more awareness programmes in cities like Delhi, where NE students are facing problems. There can be exhibitions on food, culture, lifestyle, cinema and music apart from cultural exchange programmes that will include trips, etc.

Any more suggestions...Hope someone who can make a difference is reading this..

:thankyou2:

Rgds,
    Mayuri

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

7. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

That's a great suggestion Mayuri. I feel the real problem is people's ignorance about their own countrymen. India is such a diverse country, but while most of us take pride in knowing how Americans, Italians and Scandinavians live...we are never bothered about the culture and lifestyle of people living in different parts of India.

I think we should have more cultural interactions and exchange programmes at the grassroot level - schools and colleges; so that children grow up with a broad outlook.

Would like to more thoughts about it from our forum friends....

Thanks,
    Sonia

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">