I miss appu ghar

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by anandisingh, Apr 14, 2010.

1. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

Last evening, I was going through some of my childhood albums. Memories came rushing in. Memories that struck me the most were those of dear old Appu Ghar. In our childhood, Appu Ghar was an oasis of happiness. The first place that we visited, when school exams got over, was the Appu Ghar. Our last stop at enjoyment, before the vacations got over and school reopned was the Appu Ghar again!! As relatives and friends kept visiting us from all parts of India, we never missed the opportunity of accompanying them to our land of joy- the Appu Ghar!!

This amusement park of our childhood was brought down to be replaced by the Delhi Metro.

:-(

2. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

Anandi,
    Your post made me so nostalgic. I think there is a rare Delhite who does not mourn the unfortunate demise of our dear old Appu Ghar! I think we can only console ourselves by saying: All good things come to an end one day – Appu Ghar may not be there any more, but its golden memories will stay in our hearts forever.

I have visited the Appu Ghar on innumerable occasions, during my precious childhood days. Even before I had gone to the Red Fort or the Qutab Minar, I had visited the Appu Ghar a couple of times. It was a paradise for children at that time.

3. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

I too miss Appu Ghar. I have many happy memories of the place. It was also one of the places that I visited with my DH during our courtship.
    Any how, has now shifted to quite a distance away. I heard that the license was not renewed and it lost a court case. Being right in the heart of the city, its location proved to be its nemesis. Some one more powerful wanted the land as well ... and now there is no Appu Ghar for the city residents. Some days, I feel Delhi is quite a heartless city ....
    :drowning

4. MadhujaJ

MadhujaJ Senior IL'ite

Don’t we all miss Appu Ghar!!?

During my childhood days, I used to visit the Mini Disneyland, the eerie tunnel, the bumping cars and the house of horrors frequently. Childhood days were days when we did not have a single worry on mind and thus could soak in all the fun and excitement of this wonderful place. It must have been more than 6 years since I had last visited the place, but its memories are vividly etched in my mind.

Appu Ghar last opened its gates on February 18, 2008. Almost 5000 people visited the amusement park on that day to bid goodbye!

5. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

You are right, Madhuja!! The number of tickets sold touched 5000, on that day!! The timings were extended by an extra hour. Thousands flocked to the amusement park from every nook and corner of the city and also from the out s kirts.
    People who had spent many a happy hour in Appu Ghar in their childhood took their children to have a glimpse of the magical place that was about to be shut down.
    I was not in Delhi at that time and would never forget the pang of sadness that I felt at my inability to pay a last visit to dear old Appu Ghar.

:oops::cry:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  6. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

I think Appu Ghar not only mesmerized Delhites. It was also a huge attraction for people who traveled to Delhi from all parts of India. This was because it was the first amusement park of India.

I still remember that Appu Ghar was inaugurated in 1984 when I studied in Class One. Late Prime Minister Shri Rajiv Gandhi inaugurated this magic land. It was the brain child of his mother, the Late Prime Minister Smt Indira Gandhi.

Appu Ghar covered an area of approximately 15.5 acres. Later a water park named Oysters was added to it.

I don’t think we will ever forget Appu Ghar.
    :|

7. MamtaAgr

MamtaAgr New IL'ite

This thread makes me nostalgic and sad. We all remember you, Appu Ghar!!!

8. geetsun

geetsun Junior IL'ite

Hi all, when Appu ghar was closed, no one liked it. Even though we all were capable of taking our children/our parents were able to take us to appu ghar inspite of costly affair, yet there were many who were not able to afford for the same. I can tell u in my house theft took place and the culprits were two young boys - brothers - who told us, when they came to our house alongwith our police, that they have resort to theft since they want to go to good hotels to eat and also to appu ghar to visit and shell out money to participate in many merry-go-rounds. I am also one among u who feels its closure as bad but the reality is no pains no gains. Appu Ghar gone and metro has come which is the passion of delhites now thereby no place is at a distance in Delhi. geetsun

9. frida189

frida189 New IL'ite

Change is the law of Nature and we have to accept it. As some1 said that Appu Ghar closed and Metro has Come, so no need to cry because many Amusement oarks in Delhi. So we shud accept the new changes.