Places to visit in Delhi

Discussion in 'Places & Events in Delhi' started by shel_28, Jan 4, 2010.

1. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Dear All,

We are planning to visit <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> this summer. :) I have no idea about which cities have places of tourists' interest and the places to visit. :confused2:
    I request you to suggest some places of interest in different cities in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>.

Please share some information about the place, what to see, and how to reach, etc. I need to plan out soon.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010

2. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

Last weekend we visited the Jantar Mantar. We liked it immensely. Please do not miss it when you visit <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>.

It is situated at <st1:Street><st1:address>Connaught Place</st1:address></st1:Street> and is one of the five observatories that were built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh II, the ruler and founder of Jaipur, in <st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>.

Jantar Mantar of <st1:City><st1:place>New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> is smaller than the one at Jaipur. But it did amaze us. It has an astonishing capability of making accurate calculations of many astronomical events.

This Jantar Mantar was constructed in 1724. It has huge abstract masonry instruments which display the technological genius of that era in the field of astronomy.

3. raminderkaur

raminderkaur Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shel
    Please take a look at the "Delhi Museum Thread" started by Amrita Sharma. It covers many interesting museums of Delhi.

4. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Amrita,

Thank you for your first FB. :)
    Well Jantar Mantar is a good historical place, I've read in my history book.
    I've noted down Jantar Mantar in my list. I wish atleast my list should have some 10 - 12 places that covers all parts of Delhi.

I dont want to miss any tourist places in Delhi as this is going to be my first tour to Delhi. Its a 15 days tour.

5. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Raminderkaur,

Thank you for pointing out the thread. I hope it'll be quite helpful for me to visit those museums in my tour.:)

Delhi-museums

6. kanwalagarwal

kanwalagarwal New IL'ite

Dear Shel,

Dont miss to visit Taj mahal. Its my favourite place in Delhi. It is in Agra, to the south of Delhi. It looks so nice to see on a full moon night and it'll look in pink shades in the sun light. Sometimes, I used to spend my weekends in Agra.

Hope you'll have fun filled day there.

7. Rinkugupta

Rinkugupta New IL'ite

Hi Shel,

My suggestion would be Safdarjung tomb. It is situated besides the Safdarjung airport in New Delhi.

It is one of the finest examples of architecture in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India. </st1:place></st1:country-region><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">The tomb of Safdarjang was built to commemorate the memory of Wazir of Hindustan. </st1:place></st1:country-region><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"></st1:place></st1:country-region>
    <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"></st1:place></st1:country-region>
    <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Don't miss it !</st1:place></st1:country-region>

8. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

kanwalagarwal,

Thank you for your FB. :)
    Definetely I wont miss it. When we planned for a tour to Delhi, Our first option is to visit Taj mahal.

9. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Rinkugupta,

Thank you for your FB. :)
    I've never heard of Safdarjung tomb. It's new to me. Anyway I've noted down this place in my list.

10. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

I recommend a visit to the Lotus Temple.
    The <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:placeName w:st="on">Lotus</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Temple</st1:placeType> is an important tourist destination near <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Nehru Place</st1:address></st1:Street> in <st1:place w:st="on">South Delhi</st1:place>. The white marble temple is in the form of a partially open Lotus flower. There are nine doors that open into a central hall. The lotus is surrounded by nine reflecting pools on all sides. Perfect silence is observed in the central hall at all times and there are volunteers posted to instruct tourists to observe silence.
    The Lotus temple in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> is part of a series of temples constructed by the Bahai community all over the world. One can visit the temple from Tuesday to Sunday, between 10.00 am and 4.00 pm. It is closed to visitors on Mondays.
    Do let me know how you like it.