Himachali food

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by menila01, Jul 27, 2009.

1. menila01

menila01 Senior IL'ite

Himachal was a part of Punjab till 1966, and it's cuisine was heavily influenced by the Punjabi Cuisine, however it still had some pure Himachali Dishes like Rajmah Madhra, Mash Dal, Khatta, Patande, Ankalos, Sepu Wadi, Rongu ka dum, Sidu Roti, Pateer, Chouck, Bhagjery, Til Chutney etc.... and then there was Dham, the elaborate festive food like Kashmiri Wazwan....

Himachali's have developed different tastes over the period of time .Himachali food finds bit resemblance with some food of south and the famous Punjabi food.Himachali's love to have Chattni,Khatta/Mahani,Khoru/Kheru,Achaar etc. along with food.Kangra area of Himachal is famous for different dhishes sour in taste.If you have been to Kangra you must have enjoyed famous Khatti dal.

Sadly it's not commercially available....

I would like to know more about himachali food.
    Please enlist the places where you've had your good local food.You could also give recipes or just talk about it!!

2. Noor01

Noor01 Senior IL'ite

Non-vegetarian dishes, cooked with generous doses of spices and ghee, are very much preferred by the Himachalis. In fact, some time back, the only vegetables that are eaten by us comprised of potatoes and turnips. With time, green vegetables are being made a part of the usual diet. The people of Himachal Pradesh drink tea generously, that too made as per numerous different recipes. We also give importance to milk and other dairy products.

Can you share some recipes about it?

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Ladies:
    Saw this thread and I have a cookbook of HP food that I got at Midlands:

Classic Recipes from Himachal Pradesh by Bhawanee Singh (published by Value Books).

Says its also available at New Book Depot 18-B Inner Circle at CP.

Regards
    Tina

4. anubala123

anubala123 New IL'ite

hi guys,

anyone intersted in posting a few recipies online ?
    I tried but cant find any himachali cook book in dubai or kuwait.

thank you