Recipe for Oats Idly!

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by VrittiK, Jun 20, 2012.

1. VrittiK

VrittiK Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

Now a days eating oats is making a lot of hype for good health and to control our cholesterol levels etc.

I have been hearing a lot about different recipes made from oats like oat porridge, oat upma etc. Everyone is going gaga over introducing oats in their meals especially breakfast.

Also, heard of something called Oat Idly but didn't know what actually will be the right recipe of it.
    For example, in rice Dal idly, urad Dal binds the rice but it oats idly, do we have to use Dal to prepare it?

Can anyone share the correct recipe with the measure of each ingredient, if you have tried it.

Thanks a lot.

2. skmeera

skmeera Silver IL'ite

oats idly:
    1/2 cup oats (I like it powdered coarse, heat a tawa add oats -stir for few minutes and coarsely powder)
    1/2 cup sooji or wheat rava
    1 cup yogurt
    1 tsp fruit salt

In a tawa ,add little oil ,temper with mustard seeds ,hing,channa dhal(1 tsp),urad dhal(1 tsp) , chopped onion(1/2),ginger chopped(1/2 tsp), green chilli(1) , add handful of chopped veggies(choice of carrot ,beans, peas). fry for a minute. Add it to the oats - sooji mix.Add salt and fruit salt,chopped coriander leaves. To this add 1 cup of yogurt and mix,Add little more or less - should be like odli batter.
    Grease the plates beforehand, Immediately transfer the mix on to plates, steam and cook.

1 person likes this.
  3. RiddhimaT

RiddhimaT Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

Oats Idli / Idly Ingredients:

• Instant oats – 1 cup (I used Quaker Oats)
    • White or Medium Sized Rava or Semolina – 1/2 cup (One can use Wheat Rava also)
    • Curd – 1/2 cup
    • Water – 3/4 or as required (I used Buttermilk instead of Curd and Water)
    • Asafoetida/Hing – 1/2 tsp
    • Coriander leaves / Cilantro – 2 tsp. finely chopped
    • Baking soda – 1/2 tsp.
    • Oil or Ghee – To grease Idly plates
    • Salt
    [FONT=&quot]Seasoning Ingredients:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Oil – 1 tsp.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Mustard Seeds – 2tsp[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Carrot – 1 medium sized grated (around 1/2 Cup)[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Green Chilli – 1 tsp. finely chopped or 1/2 tsp. Green Chilli Paste[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Method:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]Dry roast the Instant Oats in a frying pan for 3-4 min and set aside to cool it completely. Then grind the roasted Oats to a fine powder in a mixer grinder or in a food processor.[/FONT]
    2. [FONT=&quot]In the same pan, dry roast the White or Medium Sized Rava for 3-4 min or until you get a nice aroma from it. Allow the Rava to cool. Now transfer the roasted Semolina/Rava and powdered Oats from above step to a mixing bowl and mix well.[/FONT]
    3. [FONT=&quot]Seasoning Part: Heat Oil in a pan, add Mustard Seeds, once they splutter add grated Carrot and Chopped Green Chilli or Chilli Paste and saute till the raw smell of the Carrots disappear. This may take about 5 min of time.[/FONT]
    4. [FONT=&quot]Add these seasoning ingredients to the Oats-Semolina mixture bowl and mix once. Now add Asafoetida/Hing, Finely Chopped Coriander leaves/Cilantro, Baking Soda, Curd + Water or Buttermilk and mix everything together with the help of spatula to prepare the Oats Idli batter. If batter becomes too thick adjust with sufficient water or Buttermilk and the batter turns as thick as the normal Idly or Dosa batter.[/FONT]
    5. [FONT=&quot]Grease the Idly/Idli plate with Oil/Ghee and pour the sufficient amount of batter to the Idly/Idli molds with the help of ladle. Arrange the Idly/Idli plates and steam it for 10-12 minutes or till done. It may take maximum 15 min to cook the Idlies.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Now the Oats Idly/Idli is ready. Serve hot Oats Idli/Idli with Coconut Chutney, Saagu or Chutney Powder depending on your preference.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Tips:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]One can use Wheat Rava or Semolina for healthier version of Oats Idli.[/FONT]
    2. [FONT=&quot]Baking Soda provides good texture to the Oats Idli and the Idlies turns fluffier by adding just a little Soda to the batter.[/FONT]
    3. [FONT=&quot]One can add Fried Cashews to the Oats Idli batter. This gives rich taste to the Oats Idli, if you are ok with just a few extra calories.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Other vegetables of your choice can be added to the Oats Idli[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013
  4. mickeygirl

mickeygirl Silver IL'ite

Today morning, my MIL prepared oats idle for myself and my husband. I liked it a lot. Here is the recipe if you want to try it.

2 cups - Oats (just grind it an keep aside)
    1 Cup - soaji coarse
    Curd - as required
    1 Carrot - Wash,Peel,Grate and keep aside.
    Baking soda - a pinch
    Salt - as required.

Steps:
    1.Mix powdered oats,soaji coarse in appropriate amount of curd. Let the mixture sit there for around an hour.
    2.After an hour, add salt to taste and baking soda to the batter
    3.Grease the idle pans and fill it with batter and garnish with grated carrot.
    4.Ready to cook

Serve it with idlepodi/coconut chutney. Enjoy healthy and easy oats idle.

Let me know if you have tried it and liked it?

1 person likes this.
  5. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

Dear mickeygirl, sooji means, idli rava or bombay rava??

6. lgirish

lgirish Platinum IL'ite

sooji is bombay rava which is used for making kesari/upma

7. mickeygirl

mickeygirl Silver IL'ite

Igirish is correct. Soaji means upmaa rava/bombay rava.

8. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite