The Frugal or (Dirt Cheap) Indian Menu

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by kathrynmerci, Jul 29, 2009.

1. kathrynmerci

kathrynmerci New IL'ite

Hello Ladies!

I am new here and I just love reading through all of the forums. I am of Irish descent but, my family of four practically live on Indian fare these days. The culture has slowly moved into our lives over the past five years and i have been slowly learning how to cook (properly). When I started, everything looked grey!

Well, we are facing an economic crisis, as most everyone is these days, and i have started depending on "emergency menus" I find online. They consist of weekly menus that feed a family of 4 on less than $80 per week. It's been helpful but the food is so BORING! Most of it is country cooking with stuff like mac n cheese and hot dogs here and there. Ugh.

So, here's a challenge, I am trying to build an Indian "emergency" or frugal menu. Any recipe suggestions or staple foods on your mind?

I would really appreciate the help! I miss the excitement at my table ;)

Thanks in advance for all of your comments, ladies!

-Kathryn

2. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Hi Kathryn,

Indian cooking is healthy and cheap too. It covers all the nutritional requirements . Being a vegetarian with Indian cooking is a better option too. But even if u cook meat tht wudnt be much of an expense copmpared to western foods. Indian cooking needs uasge of lots of spices and ingredients a d can be prepared from scartch easily. This website is atreasure trove of Indian vegetarian cooking. Keep browsing.
    Happy eating.

Regards,
    CC

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Kathryn:
    You will need to build your spice library and keep that in the freezer so you don't need to rebuy (in glass jars preferably). Spices, rice and beans are cheap at Indian markets. If you are (un)lucky enough to be on food stamps some markets take them. Most Indian cooks use a pressure cooker for a number of dishes so you can look for one at yard sales but you can do without also. One website that sends you several recipes a month by email is tarladala.com and her recipes are well tested. IL has many good posters especially in South Indian dishes. You can use ground turkey for many of the chicken dishes using minced chicken which is probably your cheapest healthy meat choice. Many of the ladies here are using alternative grains instead of rice for some meals.....I find millet one of the cheapest choices. Others are doing interesting things with oatmeal....do a search on the website.

Have fun with your cooking!