Andhra pickles & Powders

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by virajitha, Apr 29, 2008.

1. epics

epics Senior IL'ite

Re: Andhra Pickles

Hi Saahithya:
    How many green chillies to be used in Lime and Greenchilli pickle receipe?
    Thanks
    epics

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

you have not mentioned how much green chilly we have to put and also you gave 400ml oil in the ingredients and then asked only 2 tabspoil ? what to do with balance oil? Rantcan you explain?

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear krishnaamma,
    amazing has been your suggestion to make thokku of amtekai it has come out so well my mom is drooling over it and asking again and again who is krishnaamma thanks to you pal for this new receipe...sunkan

4. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sundari,

Thank you so much for the nice feed back. I am so happy to hear that your mother :wowliked it. I am blessed. Please convey my Namaskarams to her.

Really I am felling so happy sundari. thank you very much.Bow:hiya

5. Saahithya

Saahithya Silver IL'ite

krishnamma and epic..

thank you for going through my post..reg. green chillies..it depends on how spicy you want the pickle to be..however as the green chillies will be soaked in teh lemon juice during the storage of the pickle..i have put a handful of green chillies..small ones..not the long ones though..

I think I have typo there reg. teh oil part...i will correct it..you just need the oil for tempering thats all..i.e 4 or 5 table spoons.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  6. Saahithya

Saahithya Silver IL'ite

Babyraji

There are two ways you can make fresh dosakaaya pacchadi or chutney.one with green chillies and the other with red chillies..

Dosakaaya chutny with green chillies

1 dosakaaya
    10 to 12 green chillies
    3 spoons tamarind juice
    salt

peel and cut the dosakaaya into cubes neither small nor big (remove the seeds) also taste a piece of dosakaaya to check its not bitter.
    put green chillies and tamarind juice and salt in a blender and grind.till it becomes a paste and then put the dosakaya pieces or cubes.

Ensure that we dont blend the dosakaaya pieces to a smooth paste. it wont taste good as a paste rather just blend it for 1 or 2 minutes and take it off

Dosakaaya chutney with red chillies

10 red chillies
    1 dosakaaya
    salt
    3 to 4 spoons of tamarind juice
    oil for tempering

Prepare tempering wtih oil and teh red chillies (along with jeera, mustard seeds,etc)
    peel the dosakaaya and remove the seeds and cut into pieces

in a blender put the tempering and the tamarind juice and blend it to a smooth paste and then put the dosakaaya pieces and the salt and just blend it for a minute or so.chutney is ready.

hope you will like it.. :)

7. Saahithya

Saahithya Silver IL'ite

Sonti Gunda(Dry ginger powder)

<TD class=recipeAuthor colSpan=2><TD class="recipeNotes indent" colSpan=2>This is also good for new moms. Upto three weeks after delivery my mother used to give to the new moms. It is an appetizer. It helps to feel hungry and also helps to produce breast milk. Very very easy to make and tasty too.<TD class=recipeNotes colSpan=2>Ingredients:

<TD class=recipeNotes colSpan=2>fistful dru ginfer pieces
    salt for taste
    1 tbls.ghee
    <TD class=recipeNotes colSpan=2><TD class=heading colSpan=2>Process:

<TD class=recipeNotes colSpan=2>Fri sonti kommulu with ghee. When fry, the hardness of sonti goes,becomes puffed and easy to make powder. it has a nice aroma. Make powder adding salt.

Before taking meals, eat hot rice with this first,adding ghee, then finish with other items. It increases appetite.
    <TD class=recipeNotes colSpan=2><TD class=heading colSpan=2>Other Information:

Qty:2-3 servingsStorage Time & Location:keep in air tight container<TD width="25%"><TD width="50%"><TD align=right>Tomato Niluva pachadi

<TD class=recipeAuthor colSpan=2>From Andhra Kitchen Recipes..<TD class="recipeNotes indent" colSpan=2>Stays well even for an year<TD class=recipeNotes colSpan=2>Ingredients:

<TD class=recipeNotes colSpan=2>1 kg Tomatoes
    200 gms tamarind
    200 gms salt
    200 gms chilli powder
    250 gms peanut oil
    2 tbsp turmeric
    20 garlic pcs

<TD class=recipeNotes colSpan=2><TD class=heading colSpan=2>Process:

<TD class=recipeNotes colSpan=2>wash Tomatoes and wipe them with cloth and see that theres no water sticking to tomatoes . Cut tomatoes into 6 pieces then add salt and turmeric and keep them aside for 3 days .

you wld find water formed in the tmoatoes after 3 days , take few tomatoes into ur hand and squeze all the water from tomatoes and put them in a seperate plate ,do this for the remaining tomatoes. Once finished dry the tomatoes in sun for 3 days ,make sure the tomatoes are dried else the pickle wldn't stay long .

once you remove tomatoes add tamarind to the syrup and after 3 days when the tomatoes are dry add chilli powder and tomatoes into the tamatrind syrup.now grind the whole mixture.

take a pan and heat the peanut oil ,add garlic and fry them once red mix them in the paste thats made and keep on mixing the oil until it gets mixed in the tomato pickle .

<TD class=recipeNotes colSpan=2><TD class=heading colSpan=2>Other Information:

Qty:1/4 kg Storage Time & Location:cool dry place

appadala pindi

<TD class=recipeAuthor colSpan=2><TD class="recipeNotes indent" colSpan=2>it's not difficult. try and enjoy.<TD class=recipeNotes colSpan=2> Ingredients:

<TD class=recipeNotes colSpan=2>1/4kg. uraddal,
    100grs.redchilli powder,
    1/2sp.ingu,
    1-1/2cup oil,
    salt as per taste.<TD class=recipeNotes colSpan=2> <TD class=heading colSpan=2>Process:

<TD class=recipeNotes colSpan=2>warm dal without oil in a kadai(just to get warm),
    grind into a smooth powder.take into the kadai add all other ingrediants expect oil.

add water mix it into a rough dough.

knead it thoroughly by adding a little oil each time.you need to knead it very well until all the oil absorbed.
    make small balls. eat with hot rice and ghee.

you can make the powder and mix all other ingrediants expect oil.
    eat like kandipodi with hot rice and gingly oil(nuvvulanoone).
    <TD class=recipeNotes colSpan=2> <TD class=heading colSpan=2>Other Information:

Qty:10 sevingsStorage Time & Location:1 week

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  8. Senorita

Senorita Silver IL'ite

Dear saahitya :clap you done cool job..:thankyou2:

Thanks for sharing yar, Gongura and tomato are my favorites. Also Avakaya yummy, it should be tasted only at the first preparation in summer. With new red chillies powder it tastes very spicy and hot..

Also post some Podullu, dosa, idly podi and also some other podis for mixing with rice..

9. samayal

samayal Silver IL'ite

Saahithya,

Can we make avvakkai pickle with the raw mango available in USA(Indian grocery stores). Also wanted to check with you about cutting the mango seed.

Thanks.

10. Saahithya

Saahithya Silver IL'ite

thanks senorita...sure will post the powders soon..i have posted some of them..see the first page...will post more ...

Samayal..

I tried to make aavakaaya from the mangoes we get in USA....i took the very hard mangoes and made the pickle on that day only..as if we keep the mango in refrigerator for 1 day also it becomes soft which is not good for a pickle as it holds moisture...

to cut the hard core of the mango..i.e the seed i used the bone cutter knife...you can get it in walmart or target...