Food during train journey

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by newnewgen, Apr 24, 2014.

1. newnewgen

newnewgen Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I will be frequently doing train journey mostly more than 2 days. Hence I become void of good food during those times.

Please provide receipe or food items VEGETARIAN ONLY, which can be taken in train journey which does not become stale, and which is alive for atleast 2 days, if more than a week {return journey.... Chillout!you see}, then it will be great.

Note: if you are suggesting chapattis then please provide satisfactory side dish which lasts for two days. Please don't suggest pickles. Because pickles can be taken in pinches only along with main course. My taste is normal one... medium salt and medium spicy.

thanks in advance
    chitra yumsmiley

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Re: Food during train journey lastly 2 or more days

Make lots of puris.Unhealthy but safe a they last a long time.
    for the first day ,make dry potato sabzi ...use a little more oil that usual. Bhindi also works well.

Second day make do with some vegetable pickles(mixed vegetable pickle that tastes like spicy veges)and fruits.

You can make Atta laddoos .Take ice tea powder and make ice tea with cold mineral water.

2 people like this.
  3. ammulur

ammulur Platinum IL'ite

Re: Food during train journey lasting two days

Chapatis with Jam,
    Puri with Jam
    Bread
    Prepare some Pulihora gojju you can buy white rice.
    fruits, and vegetables which can be taken raw like cucumber, carrots!

4. ammulur

ammulur Platinum IL'ite

Chapatis with Jam,
    Puri with Jam
    Bread
    Prepare some Pulihora gojju you can buy white rice.
    fruits, and vegetables which can be taken raw like cucumber, carrots!

2 people like this.
  5. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Re: Food during train journey lasting two days

You can take methi theplas,puliyogaraha,idli smeared with podi,kakhras,puris made with purees like tomato,palak will last for couple of days.
    Other than that I feel plain rotis are fine,but with vegetables they do not last for more than a day .Aloo sabji totally dry is good for a day only.

6. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

Puri/chapati with jam is great option as mentioned by above member.

Next best would be pulihora (lemon rice)

You can also try cup noodles (instant). You need to carry hot water though.

Bread + jam

for side dishes with chapati you can also try idli podi with some oil. That wont get spoiled for 2days.

And it's not possible to retain any food for 1week as far as I knw.

7. PersonalTaste

PersonalTaste Silver IL'ite

I used to take below items for my 48 hrs journey in train when we go to our hometown.

Day 1:
    Dosa/Utthappam:
    Make medium size round dosa of 1/2 inch height. Roast the dosa well on both sides and with oil. The dosa should be in room temperature, before packing it, otherwise if we pack it hot, the water steam in the dosa will spoil it.
    This will not spoil for 24 hrs. Whenever I had train in the early morning, I used to prepare it on before night, and we will have it on next day till night.

Chutney's for dosa:
    Tomato onion Chutney:
    Ingredients:
    Oil - 4 tsp, onion - 3 medium (Chopped), tomato -2 medium sized (Chopped), green chilli-3 or red chilli-3 (according to your spice taste, but i prefer less hot during journeys), salt - as per taste, hing-a pinch (Optional)

In a kadai, heat the oil, then add onion till it become brown, then add chilli and fry for a 30 seconds, lastly add tomato till it get mushy, at last add hing for smell (but hing is purely optional) and switch off the stove. Grind the mixture with salt once it got cool. If you like you can do tadka(thalitham) with oil, mustard, urad dhal and curry leaves, make sure curry leaves roasted well.

Dont add water at any stage. This chutney will come for 2 days. Use dry spoon, whenever you take it.

Chutney can use for both dosa and chappathi:
    Tomato-onion chutney/thooku:

Oil -6 tsp, mustard-1 tsp, urad dhal - 1 and 1/2 tsp, Onion - 3 medium (finely chopped), tomato -3 medium(finely chopped), sambar powder or red chilli powder -2 tsp, turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp, salt- as per taste,

Heat the oil in kadai, add mustard, once it splutters add urad dhal, then add onion, once it become half cooked, add tomato, fry for a min. Then add turmeric powder, sambar powder/red chilli powder and salt. Fry well till oil comes out of the chutney. Cool it and pack it in a dry container. Make sure, the chuntney contains good amount of oil

This chutney/ thooku, will not spoil for 3 days. Mostly we use the first mentioned chutney for dosa on first day and above chutney for chappati on second day. This also suits for dosa or idli also.

-- will continue..

8. PersonalTaste

For a week travel, idli podi (also known as idli milagai podi) with oil (we prefer gingerly oil) as a best option for dosa/idli.

While packing idli, we can apply podi with oil over the idli. The next day, it taste like heavenyumsmiley. Also, idli will not be spoiled soon.

Coconut Dry podi:
    see the below recipe:
    Viki's Kitchen: Thengai Podi

I have seen, some people used to make gongura pickle (or chutney) as a side dish.

If you like, you can take below rice items also
    1. Lemon Rice
    2. Puliogre or puli sadam - it will come for a week, if we do with enough oil and rice should not be mushy.
    3. Plain rice with paruppu podi (dal powder) with oil

Side dish for Rice:
    1. Potato roast
    2. dry ladies finger sabji
    3. mixture
    4. any spicy snacks like ribbon pakoda, murukku (chakli), kara boondi
    5. Fried vadam, vathal, potato chips

Salad:
    I have seen some north Indian families used to take onion, tomato, cucumber, carrot, cabbage, chat masala. They used to make salad before their food for chapathi..
    We can even make salad with only onion, tomato and chat masala..

Happy journey..

9. PersonalTaste

10. PersonalTaste

How to make atta laddoos? Can you give us recipe?
    WOW.. cool idea.. next time i have to try this..