Do we cook??

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by priya4raj, Feb 28, 2014.

1. priya4raj

priya4raj Silver IL'ite

Dear friends,
    I am a mom of two, a 7 yr old boy and 2 yr old girl.. I cook elaborate south Indian dishes everyday, make batter, make all sorts of chutneys, just because I see happy faces around on seeing a variety of home made food..and I love that.. And there would be many of us following this just like our moms did. But of late, I observe that many friends around find lazy to cook even a side-dish.. and one-pot meals, fast food ideas sprung up often. Once, I happened to hear a lady asking her husband "Do you expect me to cook all days, you are picking these much?", as he was picking Brinjals aside, in a grocery store.. and his jaws dropped.. Is this attitude welcome?? Or am i over-reacting?? lets discuss..

2. Divyavignesh

Divyavignesh Gold IL'ite

Priya ,
    You are not over reacting, but it is individual choice, wish , comfort, time availability and taste.
    It is not based on working women or stay at home mom, because they have their own chores.
    At the end of the day everybody should think about their health and eat wisely.
    I cook 3 times a day and i know many Americans eat frozen and ready food and i find them more active energetic and have lots of stamina.
    So if you enjoy cooking and managing other chores as well, thats really nice of you and you keep your family happy.:)

3. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I don't make any side dishes but I'm not lazy :)

4. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

OP...you brought up a topic that has been on my mind for a very long time. I thought I was being terribly old fashioned for thinking that we needed to cook for our families daily. I am a working woman, driver for my son, and a housewife. Both of them love food...and as you said, it gives me immense pleasure to watch the happiness in their eyes when I make all sorts of dishes. I may not do the sambar, 2 side dishes, salad, full blown meal everyday, but fresh food is given almost everyday except in extreme circumstances.